What do you think of the new Busse Sword?

Glen--total agreement. :p

And I'm pretty sure that INFI isn't known for having legendary edge retention--just legendary toughness. So all it would take is a more wear resistant sword in identical geometry to "out-cut" such a fictitious and improbable Busse sword. :D Remember, folks--we're still just dealing with steel here. It's not forged from the horn of a unicorn and quenched in the blood of virgins or anything. ;)

Glen--total agreement. :p

And I'm pretty sure that INFI isn't known for having legendary edge retention--just legendary toughness. So all it would take is a more wear resistant sword in identical geometry to "out-cut" such a fictitious and improbable Busse sword. :D

You don't know Jerry... he might just decide that the next great leap in INFI is to create a line of traditional katana and wakizashi blades

There's no way to know what's coming until he slaps you with it

Maybe, but at the moment it's fictitious, and I don't see it as likely to happen given their present direction. If there's one thing Jerry is good at it's generating sales, and he doesn't have to jump through production hoops to do it. The difference in construction for such a piece would be a major comparative hassle when it's not needed for him to keep selling out of product. Looking at it from a business perspective there's little incentive, and he's proven himself very savvy in that regard.

true enough ;)

Bussekin are the only production knives i know of that are instantly profitable on the secondary market even when bought at retail price. This is only because of the extended wait times of course, but my gladius will be worth about $200 more than i got it for the day it arrives :)

as long as he can keep selling out as fast as he can make them, there's probably no reason for him to do anything to rock the boat

Jerry is working on something amazing right now and will release it as soon as he can get the alignment on the force crystals just right. It's an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. ;)

All due respect but Busse has not presented a traditional katana here in any form or shape and the make up of a traditional katana is something the man understands but is entirely out of his depth in terms of what qualifies as a traditional katana. It is all good and well to present a rudimentary profile of a katana and an entirely different matter to present a piece assembled in a traditional manner (and I am not taking about the blade proper at all). This is also true of a majority of "smiths" and makers producing Japanese flavored swords. Tactical schmacktical. I find a lot of it a arather poor joke and I'm sure some such as Wally Hayes and other eminent makers are more than willing to throttle me for my opinions regarding historic sword build vs modern takes on a theme. The sword community at large kind of takes a huge step backward anyone offers up the latest "tactical katana".

An in between and someone that does know steel and does make a more reasonable take in offering katana is Jim Hrisoulas www.atar.com It is funny because while I view most of his western medieval linfluenced swords as lacking in the traditional aesthetic, his Japanese style swords kind of speak volumes of a better nod to tradition. if someone wants to spend four figures for a tactical katana, they might enjoy what he is posting up right now and may even be encouraged to look further at what a Japanese themed sword looks like in the first place. Even most of the Barry Dawson stuff from the 1990s and beyond and labeled as Japanese kind of pales in comparison. IMO Busse is playing the steel to market pretty much any design he comes up with and that a curve with a funny point will sell to the closet piejama and anime crowd.

BAH and humbug.

Others in the sword market will produce copies of copies, do it cheaper and reap more profit with less attention to tradition and real worth. In that sense, Busse is is blowing his horn for what he defines as "different" so tradition is going to go right out the window.

Cheers

GC

Last edited:
Out of curiosity does anyone know who actually produces INFI for Busse? I can't imagine he smelts it himself so that job must get farmed out someplace.

And again, Glen, I largely agree with you. It's a neat piece of work, and well made, but the problems with it lie mostly in the form of the piece rather than materials and workmanship. This is like a plastic sword for grownups. It's for fun and for backyard make-believe rather than being driven by the very serious intent of taking another life in combat. None of what I've just said is to bash Busse, but rather to clear any confusion between it and a serious sword. Even the best reproductions today aren't driven by the same intent and as such lack a certain element of design due to a lack of information and experience on the part of the maker. We simply don't live in a world where the sword is considered a major option for battlefield or personal carry and use. This is to be expected.

One might say that in some ways modern swords are to historical examples what competition target rifles are to a vintage Mauser. The one represents a highly advanced and fine-tuned instrument intended for use in a controlled and largely non-threatening environment. The other is a weapon of war intended to make soldiers die. Both can kill you, but only one was designed to. And in spite of being made from lower quality materials with lower precision tolerances, the war weapon will probably do the job better.

Last edited:
true enough ;)

Bussekin are the only production knives i know of that are instantly profitable on the secondary market even when bought at retail price. This is only because of the extended wait times of course, but my gladius will be worth about $200 more than i got it for the day it arrives :)

as long as he can keep selling out as fast as he can make them, there's probably no reason for him to do anything to rock the boat

Haven't you posted the exact same paragraph earlier in this thread regarding resale?

Randall knives are really no different in demand, indeed not near the scale what RAndalls sell for on the street.

Cheers

GC

Jerry is working on something amazing right now and will release it as soon as he can get the alignment on the force crystals just right. It's an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. ;)

LOL... unless the handle is made of INFI, i'mma have to pass :p

Haven't you posted the exact same paragraph earlier in this thread regarding resale?

Randall knives are really no different in demand, indeed not near the scale what RAndalls sell for on the street.

Cheers

GC

nope... never typed those letters in that exact order in my life before that moment.... i'm original like that

I will let you know.. i think they are priced VERY reasonably considering that similar tactical waki's go for 1200+ all the time

and if you don't like it, you can flip it AT A PROFIT the day after you get it.

as for the coating, i'm getting a black coated blade, and i don't think it'll be a problem. No one has indicated that it interferes with cutting

*edit... I have about a half dozen very well made knives made from 5160, 1095crovan, etc that were made for me by great makers and cost VERY little for what i got (Thanks CF, i love the kukri!)

But i don't think i could get my money back selling them. With a Busse, you KNOW that you can get your money back in an hour with one forum post, even AFTER you use it.

No, not exactly the same words but pretty similar to today's entry about resale.

Cheers

GC

Dinner time

I love my AKs but I've always wanted one longer. This is like an improved dragon's fang for a third the price.

This!!!!!

I have always wanted a DF minus the finger grooves. SO Cool, just for the neato factor!

I love the Busse stuff and I handled this sword at Blade. I was not impressed at all. The blade is to long ....the handle to short . The grip the handle has was simple put not grippy compared to what you would need on a blade like this to really control it.

While I am impressed with Busse's guarantee and marketing this project for me is not what I would be looking for in a Katana

As for a Busse katana out performing a proper one in Tameshigiri That simple is not going to happen unless someone would reprofile the entire thing.

I bought an original Ak from Jerry 20 years or so ago, needless to say it was a tough piece of steel but a proper sword not. It's cutting performance was poor to say the least

Sorry not trying to start anything but what can I say......I love the man and the prouducts but not this one.

If your looking for an actual Tameshigiri blade there are many better choices . If your looking for a sword to show your video game buddies go for it

Last edited:
the beauty of infi is in the balance of properties. It is pretty good at everything at the same time.

Most of this thread has been off topic, and almost nobody that actually held one at blade has chimed in. My proxy that ordered one for basically said man that sword is BIG. If I get mine before the SHBA in the passaround I'll bring them out with the AK and Gladius and have some fun.

You guys talk about how useless a traditional sword is in the modern world, then bash modern designs that actually have some non-combat utility. I can have fun with anything that has an edge on it.

Entertainment is a perfectly valid "use" and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy mine.

I handled one :)

yeah I think I was at the end of a page when I posted and didn't notice there was another page. What did you think about the fuller? handle too small for balance or leverage? I'm thinking about asking Garth if he can doublecut or just beadblast mine, or just polishing the primary myself. I like little projects but that might end up being more than I feel like doing

the beauty of infi is in the balance of properties. It is pretty good at everything at the same time.

Most of this thread has been off topic, and almost nobody that actually held one at blade has chimed in. My proxy that ordered one for basically said man that sword is BIG. If I get mine before the SHBA in the passaround I'll bring them out with the AK and Gladius and have some fun.

You guys talk about how useless a traditional sword is in the modern world, then bash modern designs that actually have some non-combat utility. I can have fun with anything that has an edge on it.

Entertainment is a perfectly valid "use" and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy mine.
I don't think anyone is denying passion and entertainments. Au contraire, it is the comparisons others have brought to the table with their Busse superiority of anything else on the planet.

The introduction for the katana posted by Jerry was and is still a sideshow extravaganza targeted at those that love them and want them and claim nothing else will suit. That's fine. Really, just fine but don't further label folk you probably have not studied very much

Cheers

GC

Back