What do you use to cut/shape micarta?

I'm doing my first micarta handle and this stuff is tough. I don't have a band saw, and it sneers at my jig saw.
Any tips on cutting this stuff?
As for shaping, I have a 4" and 2" belt grider, so I figure those should be OK with some coarse belts to get it going, but I'd like to cut some meat off it first if possible.

Last edited:
I use a metal cutting bandsaw with a 10 tpi blade, others will have to help you there.

Shaping I suggest good wood rasps, they really work well and then sand, I use only wet dry paper and sand over a bucket of water. This keeps the dust and mess down and really makes sanding alot easier. I have stopped using the belt grinder since I seem to be able to do more damage than good (cuts with the edge of belt).

I can't help you with your question, but I'm curious...are you working with your own custom micarta or did you purchase it? I'm really interested in this stuff, and I was considering a carbon fiber type micarta look. I've done a lot of speaker enclosures with carbon fiber and fiber glass, so I'm really curious about that implementation in knife handles.

I just use a hacksaw with (I think) a 24tpi blade for 1/4 in canvas micarta. G10 is a whole other monster

A coarse hacksaw blade is probably your best bet to knock most of the excess off, if you don't have a bandsaw.

sorry, i didnt read the whole post. If you dont have a bandsaw micarta will be ok to cut with a hack saw but like what steinerj said g10 is a whole nother monster.

For cutting shapes out, I use either a metal cutting bandsaw (with the same blade I use to cut metal) or a jeweler's saw with a spiral blade. I find they cut at about the same speed, but it's easier to go in a straight line with the bandsaw. To contour, I use a combination of a belt grinder and a carving burr on my dremel.

- Chris

I chunk the profiles out on the tablesaw (using a diamond blade for G10), the I go straight to the spindle sander with a coarse spindle. It only takes a few seconds to rough out the shape on the sander. Sure, a lot of material gets turned into dust, but I have little use for the tiny leftover chunks that I would get with a bandsaw.

Thanks guys, I'll give it another go with what I have and see what happens.

Emphasiski: It's stuff I bought from Texas Knife Supply (I think). Don't know much about the stuff myself. Sorry.

The dremel rotary shaping tool - looks like a little router bit - does a great job for detail shaping.

Wear a respirator with particulate filters when using any sort of powertool on micarta or G10. Please.

Back