What do you use your L/XL folders for?

I know my reasons for carrying mine, but I’m curious about everyone else here. Currently, I only have one ridiculously sized folder, the Voyager XL, and I think it’s fantastic. Outside of “tacticool” uses, the pros for me would be: 1) fitting my large hands well, 2) the long cutting edge slicing up cardboard and bulky items rather well, 3) serving as a makeshift kitchen knife if for some reason your cutlery set isn’t within reach (those vegetables don’t stand a chance).

For strictly EDC applications though, it does feel kinda silly to pocket the giant when a Code 4 or Endura 4 could also get the job done. :D What do you guys use your dinosaur folders for?

I love the XL folders, but it’s more the cool factor than utility. When I was spending more time in the woods or down at the creek bigger folders, or bigger knives in general, made some sense. For daily carry not at all really. Even a 4” blade is pretty large imo for everyday things. But knives are something I like and appreciate, so I’ll push the envelope just because, and because I can.

A large blade can do everything a small can, but..... I also like to see OP faces when I pull it out especially the Espada XL. In my youth I EDC'ed a Gerber Mark II, now its the MT IX. I get virtually no negative's from OP too. I did have one lady many years ago discussing it with her boyfriend while in line at the store. He replied to her that you don't have to worry about seeing the Gerber, its when its concealed you should worry. I have lost track of how many OP have wanted to see the knife I was carrying. Of course when going into the large cities I abide by their rules, luckily I don't have to do that hardly at all. It probably helps I am a non-threatening looking guy.

What do I use them for ? Not much really. I have a Green victorinox soldier on my keychain that actually gets far more real world use. But I have many outdoor interests and prefer larger over smaller out there.

Last edited:
Ah yes, loose dogs! It seems that lately many people don't find it advisable to control their dogs. When is the last time that you saw someone walking their dog on a 6' leash with a slip (choke) collar? Usually the dog is loose, or in a pulling harness, or on the end of a retractable leash.

I like dogs, and have owned and trained big dogs for the last 40 years. I have always kept them under control and never allowed them to accost people. When I take to the woods for a hike, I carry a stout walking stick as well as a large knife. A couple of months ago while hiking with a group of friends, an elderly friend was threatened by a German Shepherd on the trail. I distracted the dog with my stick, but came close to getting bit. Dogs are fast.

.... Another reason is an experience I had just out of town. I was walking into an old bushy camp area and I heard/ saw several dogs rushing me and barking....

I don't have any folder over 4" (ilegal in Spain) but I must say that one of the things that concern me the most nowdays are dogs. I am not scare of them and I am always ready for a belly rub if they ask for it. I got to say I LIKE dogs and pets in general, even if I don't have any.

But after watching not so few videos and reading about dog attacks in the news.... I don't want to risk getting caught barehanded against a 40kg dog trying to rip my head (or my daughter's head) off. I am not fond at all on the grinds but I have been carrying quite often one of the two Emersons I own (Commander and Aftershock, I like the Aftershock better). I would like to believe the wave feature would let me to deply fast and the rough handles along with the ergo grips would keep my paw welded to the knife.

Mikel

I live in central europe.we have a lot of people from a certain "belief". If you look at violent crime stats,they are vastly over represented ,per capita of course... often times they attack a person in a group and keep on beating the person even if hes on the ground. Some of them even tape knives to their hands and stab random people..happens way more often than the media will tell you. For that reason i carry a Rajah 2 with me. Especially against a group of attackers

What do I use them for ? Not much really. I have a Green victorinox soldier on my keychain that actually gets far more real world use. But I have many outdoor interests and prefer larger over smaller out there. Another reason is an experience I had just out of town. I was walking into an old bushy camp area and I heard/ saw several dogs rushing me and barking. It ended up with me trying to watch 3-4 barking snarling dogs moving in and out toward and around me, while yelling at them and holding a metal detector between myself and the dogs. Something really nutty like a pack mentality was building and I was getting spooked, and I'm a big guy. Finally the walker? Owner? Yelled them off from a distance. And we had a verbal exchange about the viciousness of his mongrels. What if I was a kid? That really shook me up as I realized that all I had on me was a different small Swiss Army knife, being the realistic and practical guy we all claim to be. Forget it, after that I carried whatever pocket sword I felt like bringing. BTW I had two more single dog rushing me incidents after that. On one of then I had a CS shovel on me as I stood in a batter stance ready to send it to Valhalla. The guy ended up calling the police on me after some words, but nothing happened as I was minding my own business when his Doberman came running around a bend and bee lined toward me at speed. Nothing happens, no one knows, and we all have a pleasant day and go home. If I'm attacked I play for keeps as I have a wife that wants me back at the end of the day. We all have our own experiences.

Glad you made it out okay, man. I wouldn’t wanna face hostile dogs any day of the week.

Just my two cents, but almost any firearm would be better against hostile dogs than even our pocket swords. If all I had that day was my Voyager, would I be glad to have it? Sure. But every time I take a swing, that sucker or his friends could chew my arm off. With a handgun that you’ve trained with, the odds swing a bit more in your favor.

Reactions: AF
Ah yes, loose dogs! It seems that lately many people don't find it advisable to control their dogs. When is the last time that you saw someone walking their dog on a 6' leash with a slip (choke) collar? Usually the dog is loose, or in a pulling harness, or on the end of a retractable leash.

I like dogs, and have owned and trained big dogs for the last 40 years. I have always kept them under control and never allowed them to accost people. When I take to the woods for a hike, I carry a stout walking stick as well as a large knife. A couple of months ago while hiking with a group of friends, an elderly friend was threatened by a German Shepherd on the trail. I distracted the dog with my stick, but came close to getting bit. Dogs are fast.

That’s why engaging one with an edged weapon is a dangerous proposition at best, especially if there are multiple threats. But heck, if all I had is the tiny Code 4 and evasion isn’t possible, it’ll have to do. Survive and prevail.

My morning walk I carry a minimum 6" blade, usually an aluminum TiLite or MT IX. I have had a few scary run ins with dogs(I love them dearly)and was only seconds away from using the IX. Sister in law was mauled by one, her pepper spray did not work for her.

I frequently wear gloves in my job and it's easier to open and close a larger folding knife, especially in cold winters, such as a Buck 110, a Cold Steel Eland, and so on. And I just like them. Cool factor?

Zieg

Everything. Sure, I don’t carry it during my day job – it doesn’t blend in with a pair of dress slacks and a non permissive environment – but I otherwise carry it every chance I get. It’s in my pocket now, in fact. I used it to slice up some bread for dinner, chop up an apple, open packages, open mail, slice some Gorilla tape yesterday, cut a loose string off a shirt, slice up some cardboard boxes for the dumpster.

But the main reason: fun. It’s fun to carry something that big that folds up, that light, and that slices that well. That it's bigger than my (two) fixed blades makes it even more fun.

My XL, by the way, is a Cold Steel Voyager, clip point – my favorite blade style.

Last edited:
Everything. Sure, I don’t carry it during my day job – it doesn’t blend in with a pair of dress slacks and a non permissive environment – but I otherwise carry it every chance I get. It’s in my pocket now, in fact. I used it to slice up some bread for dinner, chop up an apple, open packages, open mail, slice some Gorilla tape yesterday, cut a loose string off a shirt, slice up some cardboard boxes for the dumpster.

But the main reason: fun. It’s fun to carry something that big that folds up, that light, and that slices that well.

My XL, by the way, is a Cold Steel Voyager, clip point – my favorite blade style.

I have the same exact model, man. Love it too. What I appreciate especially is that for the size, the clip rides pretty high on the knife. There’s still some handle sticking out, but not a whole lot. Just don’t show it to coworkers hehe.

Of course most of us are dog lovers. But not all dogs where raised in caring homes. I have a chance at out running a human or rationalizing with them. But a bug eyed snarling dog is a light switch flipped to on. My bad dog experiences are years apart and every one was while I was out metal detecting. I probably have exceptional or unique experiences due to my outdoor persuits. My life experiences are a factor also. My wife and I where on a far northern fly in reserve, on a teaching contract. Every once in a while dogs kill or chew up, small kids up there. And most reserves cull their gone wild pack dogs with an annual shoot. They pop them then toss them into the bush. Or how about the female nurse jogger just out of town here that was badly mauled in a road side ditch until passing cars helped her. It just goes on and on. As I said, we all have our own experiences. If someone prefers a small folder over large in a remote or shady location, that's their choice. It's not mine. I almost have to take my big folders to outdoor locations so I don't freak people out. Good point about having a decent walking stick with you though. I've been in many different scenarios. The only common denominator that I strive for though after some bad experiences
Is to have something to ward off, with me. It's often a shovel. If anyone here doesn't have a CS shovel yet, get on it. I've chopped my way out of the bush with one once. Incredibly handy. I've probably bought five and gave a couple away.

Of course most of us are dog lovers. But not all dogs where raised in caring homes. I have a chance at out running a human or rationalizing with them. But a bug eyed snarling dog is a light switch flipped to on. My bad dog experiences are years apart and every one was while I was out metal detecting. I probably have exceptional or unique experiences due to my outdoor persuits. My life experiences are a factor also. My wife and I where on a far northern fly in reserve, on a teaching contract. Every once in a while dogs kill or chew up, small kids up there. And most reserves cull their gone wild pack dogs with an annual shoot. They pop them then toss them into the bush. Or how about the female nurse jogger just out of town here that was badly mauled in a road side ditch until passing cars helped her. It just goes on and on. As I said, we all have our own experiences. If someone prefers a small folder over large in a remote or shady location, that's their choice. It's not mine. I almost have to take my big folders to outdoor locations so I don't freak people out. Good point about having a decent walking stick with you though. I've been in many different scenarios. The only common denominator that I strive for though after some bad experiences
Is to have something to ward off, with me. It's often a shovel. If anyone here doesn't have a CS shovel yet, get on it. I've chopped my way out of the bush with one once. Incredibly handy. I've probably bought five and gave a couple away.

Are you referring to the special forces CS shovel? Yeah, that would be pretty handy to have in the car or in the rucksack for hikes.

As I mentioned earlier though, I still consider edged tools as a last ditch defense against hostile animals. A firearm that you’ve trained with would be a better tool most of the time.

Back