What do you use your L/XL folders for?

I never take my XLs out of the house any more. They are fun to pull out periodically. I used to take my 6 in aluminum Ti lite out when I walked my dog. I stopped carrying it after bought a telescopic baton. Most of the time I have a 4in blade, and a large Brazos walking stick.

Bear? I wouldn’t take on any bear even with a 15” blade Bowie knife LMAO. I’m not too confident too about .40S&W making an impression on anything north of 300 lbs. Are we talking black bear or grizzly?

Black bear. I thought the .40 s&w would be better than my 9mm. And I can t carry a long gun on the bike.

Interestingly, I saw a local LE officer being interviewed about there bear sightings in the area at the time. His recommended action if confronted at close quarters by a black bear was to hit it in the nose with your fist as hard as you could. IDK.

When I later told a clerk at BassPro about carrying the .40 to defend against a black bear, he said I should be fine as long as I shot it in the head. Under that pressure, that might be easier said than done. (I was in BassPro buying some bear spray.)

Just saw that question. Didn't t mean to highjack the discussion.

Morning lads. Thought I’d share that I have an incoming Aus10a Spartan! Really excited to get one and share my first impressions. I’ve been wanting one since last year but for some unknown reason never pulled the trigger. I’m a huge fan of the Kopis and seeing it interpreted as a pocket knife always fascinated me.

I’m planning to use it for large EDC applications and as an on-the-fly pocket chopper. I’ll know soon enough how well it’s suited for the job.

Yesterday used my XL Voyager, clip point, to slice open a package of bacon, separate the bacon, slice it, and slice a ciabatta roll. Later I used it to slice up cardboard for the dumpster and to clean goop out from under my fingernails after working in the garden. Hmm. I also sliced open some mail with it. Since it's in my pocket right now, I'm sure I'll find something useful to do with it before this day is done.

The way things are spiraling out-of-control, it makes more sense than ever; to carry a Cold Steel XL. It just may provide the extra-edge, you need to get back-home safely. Not to mention, the EDC utilitarian tasks it can accomplish with ease.
True. Anything I could accomplish with the Para 3, the Voyager XL could do as well. The lil guy is more maneuverable sure, but the extra edge of the XL is always welcome.

I'm currently looking, to add about four-more Cold Steel models to the line-up. In no particular order: AK-47 XL in FDE, The "Spartan" which needs no introduction, Ultimate Hunter [black G10], and the SR1. The Voyager XL is very-tempting, and also; in the line-up as a distinct possibility. Money is always a consideration, but choosing a winner among these top contenders is extremely tough. ;) Eventually, I will acquire them all. I've been running this duo, lately.

s7VHeTDh.jpg

Around the end-of-the-year, I have to decide between getting another 4 Max, maybe the "desert G-10" variety; or another Benchmade Adamas auto, in black G-10 (straight-blade). :rolleyes: The SOG SEAL XR folder is also, looming-in-the-background. I haven't purchased any SOGs, since the late-80's; as nothing interested me, except their mighty Fat Cat, Which has since been discontinued from the company line-up.

Last edited:
I'm currently looking, to add about four-more Cold Steel models to the line-up. In no particular order: AK-47 XL in FDE, The "Spartan" which needs no introduction, Ultimate Hunter [black G10], and the SR1. The Voyager XL is very-tempting, and also; in the line-up as a distinct possibility. Money is always a consideration, but choosing a winner among these top contenders is extremely tough. ;) Eventually, I will acquire them all. I've been running this duo, lately.

s7VHeTDh.jpg

Around the end-of-the-year, I have to decide between getting another 4 Max, maybe the "desert G-10" variety; or another Benchmade Adamas auto, in black G-10 (straight-blade). :rolleyes: The SOG SEAL XR folder is also, looming-in-the-background. I haven't purchased any SOGs, since the late-80's; as nothing interested me, except their mighty Fat Cat, Which has since been discontinued from the company line-up.

Nice! I am thinking about picking up a 5 shooter too, SP 101 snubbie this time maybe.

My buddy has a 6" GP 100 I get to shoot when we go out, very nice but it is a 6 shot and to large for my needs. I already have a large revolver, 8 3/8" S&W 500.
My grandfather also owns a 6” GP100. It’s not the most convenient for everyday carry, but it’s a joy to shoot at the range. The good combination of weight and balance tames even the hotter loads of .357. Fun times.

Holy schmokes, you’ve got a S&W 500?

I kept one of these 20 Dollar bad boys clipped to my mountain bike when I started riding at night for protection and thorn bush maintenance. It was like having a small folding machete but I recently lost it after a hard crash so I guess it's time to plunk down another 20 bucks on FleaBay. The serrated blade saws nicely threw branches but the seatbelt cutter wouldn't even cut my shoe lace.
scpblEF.jpg

My grandfather also owns a 6” GP100. It’s not the most convenient for everyday carry, but it’s a joy to shoot at the range. The good combination of weight and balance tames even the hotter loads of .357. Fun times.

Holy schmokes, you’ve got a S&W 500?

Yes its all about trade offs, size, weight, price. I sold my DE .50 for it.

DSCF0284 - Copy.JPG

I used my xl voyager on an extended holiday in Panama. Used everyday and the "rubbish" aus8 opend many fallen coconuts on various beaches and was still almost shaving sharp. Good back up in the citys also ;)

Aus8 used to really put me off there knives till I tried it and realised it's actually really good for 90% of everything I use it for... to be totally truthful probably 99.9999%!

I used my xl voyager on an extended holiday in Panama. Used everyday and the "rubbish" aus8 opend many fallen coconuts on various beaches and was still almost shaving sharp. Good back up in the citys also ;)

Aus8 used to really put me off there knives till I tried it and realised it's actually really good for 90% of everything I use it for... to be totally truthful probably 99.9999%!
Glad to know you get the most out of your knives, man. I’m also real glad I picked up a Voyager XL. Damn fine utility knife.

Now I do like and buy a variety of different steels but for the majority of my work use I have great experiences with aus8, 4116, BD1, 8cr and other lowly steel.

The XL size knives are getting used a bit more cause I threw one in my work bag and also the vehicle.
The thing I really like about XL Voyagers is they are fairly lightweight for their size and they carry well in pocket.

Back