What do you want in a new Salt knife?

compression lock with an aluminum grip shaped like an Emerson CQC-6 style grip and spydie hole blade.

And it will never happen because the CQC-6 grip shape is patented by Emerson and is no where produced.. Not even by custom knife makers

Another vote for a compact, EDC fixed blade in LC200N. Something similar to the Street Beat, designed for utility-s/d and small enough to comfortably carry everyday. A minimal sheath for horizontal/crossdraw belt carry, or one designed to clip in the front pocket of your jeans that would have some retention when the blade is drawn would be great.

Have you seen the upcoming variations of the Swick? The Swick 5 and 6 are LC200N, have the size and sheath you like, but the finger ring might not be for everyone.

The Pacific Salt is pretty darn good overall.

I have good experiences with H1, but can see how LC200N would be a natural upgrade.

I prefer the older handle style as well over the Endura handle.

Vanax instead of LC, it’s a higher performing edge retention and LC isn’t really rust proof anyway-Vanax will be similar.

I would also like to see more DLC Or TiCN coatings, Salts are often used in or near water which means sun (often), anything that reduces reflections is welcome.

Have you seen the upcoming variations of the Swick? The Swick 5 and 6 are LC200N, have the size and sheath you like, but the finger ring might not be for everyone.

Silent H,

I am familiar with the Swick. As you mentioned, I am not a fan of the finger ring. Thank you for the recommendation though.

A smaller sheath, as was mentioned above, would be great for it too. I love everything about the Jumpmasters, including the sheaths, but for EDC, smaller would be better.

LC200N in a backlock, preferably in a Delica frame.

Looking forward to the green salts in LC200N that @Sal Glesser told us about.

paramilitary 2 lc200n
I feel like this is the best possible answer. You can't tell me a lc200n w/ rustproof hardware/liners wouldnt sell like crazy. Moreso than the s110v version that seems to always be made.

LC200N, a compression lock, a flipper on PB washers and bushing, no bearings. Something really easy to operate with one hand. Edit: basically I really want an Ikuchi Salt!
Pretty much this. Probably Ti scales.

Why not just make the Street Beat lightweight, Street Bowie and original Temperance in lc200n (or vanax if folks prefer)? Would be good to have some general purpose fixies that are completely corrosion proof.

I would be interested in a ultralight "salt" knife for climbing, mountaineering, canyoneering, through hiking, and pack rafting. Main priorities:

1. Extremely light weight
2. Extremely corrosion resistant
3. Carabiner friendly design
4. Rope and webbing friendly cutting design (serrated wharncliffe)

Something similar to the 0.60 oz. (17.01g) CRKT niad https://www.crkt.com/niad.html, with a LC200N or H1 blade would be a big hit. Ladybug and Manbug are close, but not quite as compact or carabiner friendly.

Last edited:
I found this pic on the Spyderco forum, (not mine), from 2015. It is a Bushcraft blade with a Jumpmaster handle. Something similar to this would be great, especially if it was scaled down a bit, with around a 3 1/2" blade of p/e LC200N or serrated H1 and a minimal foldover kydex or boltaron sheath.

Couldn't paste pic

Link with pic, (scroll to bottom of page):
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=67936&start=20

Last edited:
All great ideas, but I second tatsu’s hope for a new design(s). Existing models can have updated blade steels anytime, I say that respectfully. Why not see the full potential of Lance’s knowledge and ideas in collaboration with all things great by Spyderco, to create more new things. (Says the guy that contributes zero new design ideas :confused:)

Just spitballing here. What about a folding fillet knife? Thinner stock for a bit of flex. Also an easy way to choke up on the blade would be nice.

I was under the impression LC200N was an improvement in edge holding over PE H1? Sitting on the fence for a Siren, man that thing looks sweet.

LC200N Pacific Salt 2, oh wait......:D

A more compact EDC fixed blade would be a welcome addition to the salt line. LC200N of course. Thinking izula/izula II sized.

Back