What do you want in a new Salt knife?

I love the new Salts with neon green FRN--been hoping for that ever since I got my little USN Ladybug Hawkbill. Also, I like choils. In fact, if Spyderco added those neon green scales to a Dragonfly 2 Salt with a SE LC200N blade, I'd be very happy.

Since it's hollow ground anyway, if I wanted Spyderedge, I'd go H1. Either would work though.

Lance,

Have you thought about Salt shears? Maybe LC200N steel with some kind of polymer coating on the handles.

I'm thinking stubby "utility" oriented scissors for fins, line, whatever.

Just a wild idea...

Message specifically for Surfingringo because I can't send PMs on Bladeforums anymore and the Spyderco forum fails to send a signup email so far:
for your small fixed blade project, I think a blade thickness of 0.100" would be ideal. I have several small EDC blades with that thickness and they are good slicers while still being able to handle all the potentially rougher stuff a small blade like that could be used for in an emergency.

Message specifically for Surfingringo because I can't send PMs on Bladeforums anymore and the Spyderco forum fails to send a signup email so far:
for your small fixed blade project, I think a blade thickness of 0.100" would be ideal. I have several small EDC blades with that thickness and they are good slicers while still being able to handle all the potentially rougher stuff a small blade like that could be used for in an emergency.

Hi Vervoorst, I think you are right. A lot of folks in that thread stated a preference for 2mm instead of 2.5mm (.100”). After some testing I think that’s just a little too thin for what I’m trying to do. Even at 3.5”, that 2 mil blade has a little more flex than what I want in a small fixed blade. 2.5 still makes a great slicer if you grind it thin.

I know I’m late to the game, but what a cool post. I love boat knives, and I’ve always considered the Salt series, especially the Atlantic model with the schackle key, a boat knife, as opposed to a fishing knife.

To that end, like many others members, I’d love to see a compression lock, or something easier for one-handed closing. There’s really no time on a boat when one handed opening and closing isn’t super useful. This has always been my gripe with the Salt series.

I know this won’t happen, but I’d also like to see a marlin spike for dealing with knots in rope, chord and webbing. Would make it a great climbing knife too, though most climbers couldn’t afford it. I suppose if both of these features came about, we’d essentially have Spyderco’s take on a Boye, which I’d buy in a heartbeat.

So, they’d sell one!

I know I’m late to the game, but what a cool post. I love boat knives, and I’ve always considered the Salt series, especially the Atlantic model with the schackle key, a boat knife, as opposed to a fishing knife.

To that end, like many others members, I’d love to see a compression lock, or something easier for one-handed closing. There’s really no time on a boat when one handed opening and closing isn’t super useful. This has always been my gripe with the Salt series.

I know this won’t happen, but I’d also like to see a marlin spike for dealing with knots in rope, chord and webbing. Would make it a great climbing knife too, though most climbers couldn’t afford it. I suppose if both of these features came about, we’d essentially have Spyderco’s take on a Boye, which I’d buy in a heartbeat.

So, they’d sell one!
I think it’s time for Surfingringo Surfingringo to explain why a backlock might be better than compression lock on a boat again ;)

I think it’s time for Surfingringo Surfingringo to explain why a backlock might be better than compression lock on a boat again ;)

I’d love to hear it, but I’m sure I’ve heard the arguments; I’ve been collecting rigging knives for a while. Frankly, most of them don’t have locking blades, only locking spikes. At least the vintage knives are this way.

I know lock backs supposedly make it more difficult to close on your fingers; that’s why Boye likes them, and Spyderco does use his little cutout in the lock lever. But, if I read the post correctly, it’s what I’d like to see on a Salt, not what I’d use if I were building for the masses. Being a lawyer, I’d probably use a backlock, and figure out how to have a little liability waiver pop up every time you used it. For me, personally, I’d like a compression, or at least something easier for one handed closing.

Maybe backlocks are better suited to saltwater environments because they’re less complicated? Less little bits that have to be made rust proof? No idea there.

Compression locks keep your fingers out of the way of the blade when closing also, and I like them very much. They may be easier to open unintentionally though.

I’d love to hear it, but I’m sure I’ve heard the arguments; I’ve been collecting rigging knives for a while. Frankly, most of them don’t have locking blades, only locking spikes. At least the vintage knives are this way.

I know lock backs supposedly make it more difficult to close on your fingers; that’s why Boye likes them, and Spyderco does use his little cutout in the lock lever. But, if I read the post correctly, it’s what I’d like to see on a Salt, not what I’d use if I were building for the masses. Being a lawyer, I’d probably use a backlock, and figure out how to have a little liability waiver pop up every time you used it. For me, personally, I’d like a compression, or at least something easier for one handed closing.

Maybe backlocks are better suited to saltwater environments because they’re less complicated? Less little bits that have to be made rust proof? No idea there.
IIRC per Lance it has something to do with less chance to slip and drop it when closing, because you still have a full hand grip and also lower chance of it opening up unintentionally when carrying in a certain way.
This is why he chose lockback when designing Siren.

So, they’d sell one!

I am a big fan of one hand opening and closing. I have no problems at all closing a Spyderco mid-lock back knife one handed. Actually requires less fidgeting than a compression lock for me. I'm wondering what issue you run into that you have trouble closing a Salt back lock one handed?

Compression locks keep your fingers out of the way of the blade when closing also, and I like them very much. They may be easier to open unintentionally though.

You may have me there. I used to use a Benchmade Griptilian for climbing, but the darned thing kept opening in my pocket. When you’re climbing, your legs get into some fairly contorted angles at times. At one point, it actually started to open, flew out of my pocket, and fully opened as it plummeted toward my belayer. I yelled “rock” as loud as I could and thankfully, it landed nowhere near her. But I never carried it climbing again. Point is, I know some locks open easier than others and, I’ll admit, the Spyderco backlock is really good. I love the Axis lock, and own several of them, but I’ll never use one climbing again or really in any situation involving lots of athletic leg movement.

Love your name, by the way. One of my favorite varietals; very under rated.

I am a big fan of one hand opening and closing. I have no problems at all closing a Spyderco mid-lock back knife one handed. Actually requires less fidgeting than a compression lock for me. I'm wondering what issue you run into that you have trouble closing a Salt back lock one handed?

I don’t have any problems with it. I actually really like the knife. I own two. I’ve got a 40 foot Mainship motor yacht and when I’m on it, a Salt is pretty much always in my pocket. Gave an Atlantic to my my buddy who has a 42 foot Silverton (incredible boat). But, when I close it one-handed, I have to pivot it around a bit in my hand. I know this is pretty much then text book definition of a North American problem, but there are times when I’d like an easier close.

We cruise over to Catalina and down to Mexico a few times a year, and almost every time, something gets wrapped around one of the props; kelp, an illegal lobster trap, etc, which causes the affected engine to vibrate violently. Someone (me), has to jump into the water, swim under the boat and cut all the stuff off. When you’re doing this in 4 foot swells and hanging onto the boat with one hand, trying not to get hit by a prop or swim step ladder, and climb back on the boat, shivering from the 50 degree water, even a slightly easier one handed closing would be appreciated.

I get that this is a situation that’s pretty unique to all but a very few users, which is why I’m not holding my breath. And, frankly, if nothing changes, it’s still a pretty great knife.

You may have me there. I used to use a Benchmade Griptilian for climbing, but the darned thing kept opening in my pocket. When you’re climbing, your legs get into some fairly contorted angles at times. At one point, it actually started to open, flew out of my pocket, and fully opened as it plummeted toward my belayer. I yelled “rock” as loud as I could and thankfully, it landed nowhere near her. But I never carried it climbing again. Point is, I know some locks open easier than others and, I’ll admit, the Spyderco backlock is really good. I love the Axis lock, and own several of them, but I’ll never use one climbing again or really in any situation involving lots of athletic leg movement.

Love your name, by the way. One of my favorite varietals; very under rated.
Exactly the reason I stay away from anything but a back lock for activities where a blade might jostle open, and that includes the compression lock.

I don’t have any problems with it. I actually really like the knife. I own two. I’ve got a 40 foot Mainship motor yacht and when I’m on it, a Salt is pretty much always in my pocket. Gave an Atlantic to my my buddy who has a 42 foot Silverton (incredible boat). But, when I close it one-handed, I have to pivot it around a bit in my hand. I know this is pretty much then text book definition of a North American problem, but there are times when I’d like an easier close.

We cruise over to Catalina and down to Mexico a few times a year, and almost every time, something gets wrapped around one of the props; kelp, an illegal lobster trap, etc, which causes the affected engine to vibrate violently. Someone (me), has to jump into the water, swim under the boat and cut all the stuff off. When you’re doing this in 4 foot swells and hanging onto the boat with one hand, trying not to get hit by a prop or swim step ladder, and climb back on the boat, shivering from the 50 degree water, even a slightly easier one handed closing would be appreciated.

I get that this is a situation that’s pretty unique to all but a very few users, which is why I’m not holding my breath. And, frankly, if nothing changes, it’s still a pretty great knife.
Fair enough.

Back