What do you want in a new Salt knife?

I don’t have any problems with it. I actually really like the knife. I own two. I’ve got a 40 foot Mainship motor yacht and when I’m on it, a Salt is pretty much always in my pocket. Gave an Atlantic to my my buddy who has a 42 foot Silverton (incredible boat). But, when I close it one-handed, I have to pivot it around a bit in my hand. I know this is pretty much then text book definition of a North American problem, but there are times when I’d like an easier close.

We cruise over to Catalina and down to Mexico a few times a year, and almost every time, something gets wrapped around one of the props; kelp, an illegal lobster trap, etc, which causes the affected engine to vibrate violently. Someone (me), has to jump into the water, swim under the boat and cut all the stuff off. When you’re doing this in 4 foot swells and hanging onto the boat with one hand, trying not to get hit by a prop or swim step ladder, and climb back on the boat, shivering from the 50 degree water, even a slightly easier one handed closing would be appreciated.

I get that this is a situation that’s pretty unique to all but a very few users, which is why I’m not holding my breath. And, frankly, if nothing changes, it’s still a pretty great knife.

Hi Eginder. I like the compression lock too. I went with a backlock on the Siren for a number of reasons, many of which have already been mentioned by others here. Self close bias, “sure gripped” one hand closing, time tested solid lockup even when full of blood, slime and fish goo. I knew when I chose it that it probably wasn’t the most glamorous lock option but I believe it is by far the best lock for the design. It is also easier to make a truly rustproof back lock than a compression lock. Once you start adding liners, standoffs, etc. things quickly get more complicated. I’m not opposed to doing a compression lock design in the future...maybe if I ever do something that is a little more EDC and a little less “in the trenches” in its DNA.

This is what I have been working on. 3.5” fixed blade EDC. I call this one the Mini Bonemaker and it is a small trailing point skinner modeled after my full sized rigid fillet, the “Bonemaker”.

Huge thanks to Chad Kelly for the amazing custom work! Chad‘s such an artist!

wrV8ab5.jpg

mL1Xqu0.jpg

y2MITN7.jpg

dSniVYu.jpg

US02NsI.jpg

That handle is out of this world!

This is what I have been working on. 3.5” fixed blade EDC. I call this one the Mini Bonemaker and it is a small trailing point skinner modeled after my full sized rigid fillet, the “Bonemaker”.

Huge thanks to Chad Kelly for the amazing custom work! Chad‘s such an artist!

wrV8ab5.jpg

mL1Xqu0.jpg

y2MITN7.jpg

dSniVYu.jpg

US02NsI.jpg

That looks amazing, the handle has a nice unique design and looks really comfortable. :cool: :thumbsup:

What steel and hardness was used?

I have been EXTREMELY pleased by the new Spyderco PS2, so in a way that is all I want from a salt folding knife at least.

Combined with your Waterway design I'm pretty much set regarding salt knives, for now.. ;)

NdrbOccl.jpg

3rT3IQDl.jpg

Definitely either remake one of the shorter spyderco fixed blades or make a new one. A small EDC fixed blade in LC200N would be pretty dope.

Then again, if Spyderco makes a mini-carribean I think I'd s*** my pants and snag it in a heartbeat.

You guys know me, I love my salt knives (this is me after ruining 5 knives with guts and saltwater).

Would love to see one with g10 and a wire clip
Nice. Anyone in the know care to express an opinion on how G10 or Micarta will weather on a salt knife?

This also gives me an idea. If you could gather up a bunch of the old classic orange or red canvas U-shaped life preservers and use the old canvas to make Micarta for the show side of a titanium framelock Military, then you just might have the most BA salt knife ever. And just to be clear, the more worn, faded and weathered(not mildewed), the better!

Nice. Anyone in the know care to express an opinion on how G10 or Micarta will weather on a salt knife?

I was going to ask that myself.

This also gives me an idea. If you could gather up a bunch of the old classic orange or red canvas U-shaped life preservers and use the old canvas to make Micarta for the show side of a titanium framelock Military, then you just might have the most BA salt knife ever. And just to be clear, the more worn, faded and weathered(not mildewed), the better!

Cool idea, but I didn't know you had to be a professional artist to hang around with you guys. Jeesh. :D

Caribbean Lightweight, dragonfly LC200N, Enuff XL (1/2” more blade and about 1/4” more handle, does no one at Spyderco try their knives out with deck gloves on?!?) with a sheath like the Waterway. And I actually want a saber grind on the Enuff like the H1. That blade is STOUT.

I would like to see them add a good hunting knife in the Salt series with the LC200N steel in a wide classic drop point blade with a spine thickness around 5/32" with a flat ground blade of 4.5" and a handle to match at 4.5", a rear lanyard hole and with the option of neon green scales or black for those that don't like bright colors. A knife like this would have endless applications out in the field with great rust resistance.

Rock lobster with modified tip point like he spydie chef. I mean considering the name should have salt variant......

Well, while I’m wishing … a Stretch Salt LC200N with traditional Stretch drop-point profile (not straight spine).

Back