Recommendation? What does “Rock Solid lock up” actually mean?

I think you answered your own question. The dragon many of us chase is having smooth/free operation (drop shut) while at the same time being rock solid. This attribute is a function of tolerances, the tighter the tolerances the more "rock solid" it will feel while still having smooth/free operation.
Yes, well put. It did help to hear other experienced users views. I spent too much time in the exchange section reading on knives for sale and started thinking - hang on a minute, let me try this, Oh I don’t have a single knife that I can’t crank on hard enough to get some horizontal play (even if it’s just a hint of a vibration) unless the pivot is done up crazy tight. Then as you say I kind of realised it was dumb to expect anything else lol.

It means there is no perceptible play at all, in any direction, period. None. The knife feels like a fixed blade without a tang.

Yes, well put. It did help to hear other experienced users views. I spent too much time in the exchange section reading on knives for sale and started thinking - hang on a minute, let me try this, Oh I don’t have a single knife that I can’t crank on hard enough to get some horizontal play (even if it’s just a hint of a vibration) unless the pivot is done up crazy tight. Then as you say I kind of realised it was dumb to expect anything else lol.
Oh its definitely possible to have zero play and still be super free and smooth. I wish you were local to me I'd say we grab a beer and I'd let you check out my Seb 25 for example. It is drop shut smooth with absolutely zero blade play. I CRANK on my knives to test for play, I damn near try to break the blade off.

Rock Solid = You cant even force blade play if you want to.

Back