What does everyone think of these sheaths, expensive but nice.

By the looks of the pictures, I would have to agree with you Tuff...

I responded to you post and checked out the web site. Other than that I have no comment. I might need to consider raising my prices..

Paul

In all honesty, I'd order from Paul first.

And yes, Sheathmaker, you are under priced. ;)

The work seems pretty solid, but price for price, Paul is light years better.

I like the style of the sheaths...some of the belt loops I did not care for, some of the straps look like they are not edged. Some of his work really comes together, some stutters IMO. Some of the prices seem ok, but overall high considering who you could have do your sheath for the same money.

I've never priced sheaths before really, but the prices there seem fairly reasonable.

I thought they looked worth it to be honest and fine craftsman ship
http://www.kynd.com/~graydg/leather-sheaths.html

:D I resemble that site some :D thank you all on your coments..
if you all would welcome a little of my insight in pricing and why? ..
you could be right on the over pricing or maybe not :)
pricing I find is in direct relationship to how many orders (or should be) that you have in Back orders.. a good back list means that at least most of your customers are happy with your work so you can run with it paying atention to how it's going.. if not then you'll know shortly by way of a lack of sales,, not to brag but only as a point of fact I've been referring jobs that I don't care to take on to a friend that makes sheaths.. so for now I'm in my ball park.. maybe not in someone elses though..

I'm a firm believer in that, if times are slow you lower your prices and when times are good you go up on pricing, I'm a lucky guy in that I haven't had to go down on prices :)
and I'll say it..
you are right some of the work you are looking at are something, lets say something else :) I need to take down some of the old pictures when I have time they were from when I was starting to make my own sheaths and are a bit tacky to say the least.

I am glad I found this thread good or so called bad I welcome all comments.. the so-called bad are good, if one looks at them as a tool to better ones self right :thumbup: Oh by the way I'm a knife maker not a sheath maker :D but the same goes for knife making also ;) I've never laid claim to being a sheath maker I just make them :D any question I'd be glad to answer time allowing.

Dan Gray,
I certainly did not mean to come across negatively. I have only been cutting cow for a year, and your work certainly surpasses mine. I was trying to be objective and honest.
I certainly do not know what the cost of your materials are, nor what your time is worth to you.
For not being a sheath maker, you make some outstanding examples.

Dan has some mighty fine sheaths on his page. It looks to be a mixture of different styles all look well done.

As to pricing it is worth what someone is willing to pay. I started of just about giving stuff away and have raised my prices a few times since then. The price of the sheaths I make really dont have much to do with material cost which is relatively small for most sheaths, it is more about how much actual working time I spend on them.

It is one thing to sit down and make a sheath or two, but a whole other world when you sit down and make 15-20 sheaths which are all for different knives and have differing features.

Dan Gray,
I certainly did not mean to come across negatively. I have only been cutting cow for a year, and your work certainly surpasses mine. I was trying to be objective and honest.
I certainly do not know what the cost of your materials are, nor what your time is worth to you.
For not being a sheath maker, you make some outstanding examples.

Chuck you are not taken that way don't think another thing about it. I only posted to mention I do need to take down some old pictures.
objectivity and honesty is the best policy and if taken the right way, which I consiter constructive, it can only put me/us in the right direction or it should.. and that is forward right :D :thumbup:

anyone in this business should welcome the same IMHO.. I assure you that I do..

CB you're right the Leather and materials are minimal or should be if you get a reasonable price for your work.. IMO Too.

to tell you all the truth, now after getting to many orders for some time now better than a year at least I've felt I can raze prices to slow the orders down.. it's just a business practice I side with ,
but this you have to feel out over time.. going up to much to fast can leave you having to compromise your prices later.. I'm just mentioning this stuff to be informational and hope it's taken that way.. remember for me I want to make my knives first, sheaths for them and make sheaths for others to fill in the gaps and keep any monotony to a min .. this just happens to work for me..
thanks guys for all the comments. :)

Mr Paul there's nothing wrong with getting what your work is worth.. :thumbup: put'em up there where they belong I say .. :) and may I ask why don't you have a web site listed in your profile?
your work should be displayed more .. nice leather work

Last edited:
During my post graduate days I was taught that all criticism is constructive. Some of my professors were literally brutal, that taught me humility as well. No matter what is said either good or bad is a good thing in that things are learned more completely if they cause an emotional reaction. Part of the character of a person is how they handle criticism, how they process it, and how they grow as a result.

You have handled this very well Dan, and I respect that a lot, well done! :D

Part of the problem with internet forums is people are not usually very fourthcoming with non positive comments for fear of retribution. I'm not usually one of those, thus the moniker below my user name. ;) I will be honest with the makers and hobbiest's here, and I hope they will be the same with me.

During my post graduate days I was taught that all criticism is constructive. Some of my professors were literally brutal, that taught me humility as well. No matter what is said either good or bad is a good thing in that things are learned more completely if they cause an emotional reaction. Part of the character of a person is how they handle criticism, how they process it, and how they grow as a result.

You have handled this very well Dan, and I respect that a lot, well done! :D

Part of the problem with internet forums is people are not usually very fourthcoming with non positive comments for fear of retribution. I'm not usually one of those, thus the moniker below my user name. ;) I will be honest with the makers and hobbiest's here, and I hope they will be the same with me.

thus the moniker below my user name
that one is better than Cranky old fart though I see your not old enough for that one yet :D just kidding with yeaha ;)
thanks you're much better with words than I am for sure :) and right on, we can come off very wrong if not careful in type..

finding this thread sort of reminds me of what goes on some times and not knowing it.. this was pointed out to me when Rick Bowels decided to call me after he started this thread some time ago :) so what we say and do can be talked about any time and any place, one case and point :)
http://www.knifetalkforums.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=rmkontopic&Number=24793&fpart=&PHPSESSID=
not that it has a lot do do with this thread but good food for thought just the same.. thanks guys..

Good grief! Re handle a knife and it really stirs up some stuff. :eek: But that crowd is a little uptight, and theres a lot of those around and its not just knives either. Those Harley fanatics are a fussy bunch. ;)

shhhhh, dont tell anyone I have a Harley in the garage...... :p

Good grief! Re handle a knife and it really stirs up some stuff. :eek: But that crowd is a little uptight, and theres a lot of those around and its not just knives either. Those Harley fanatics are a fussy bunch. ;)

shhhhh, dont tell anyone I have a Harley in the garage...... :p

I'll keep it under my hat I have a 78 1/2 super glide 1200 shovel in mine too :eek: :D

the thing was, to do what I did for him Randall refused the guy so what was he to do? :D

Dan,

You wrote "the thing was, to do what I did for him Randall refused the guy so what was he to do?"...believe me friend, this coming from a Randall collector/purveyor that buys and sells Randall knives on an almost daily basis - you sir, if you were so inclined, could make a handsome living and full-time career out of doing for Randall knife collectors what the Randall Shop isn't willing to... :eek:

But then again, IMO, you're much too talented to waste your time doing such a silly thing... :cool:

Shel

p.s. leatherman gets my vote for understatement of the year with this 'lil gem: "But that crowd is a little uptight..." Lawdy, now ain't that the truth...lol

I think the sheaths look very good. When I have sheaths made, they are made by Chuck Burrows. His quality is excellent, and his prices reflect that.

Paul, I think maybe you do have to look at raising your prices.

popedandy
Dan,

You wrote "the thing was, to do what I did for him Randall refused the guy so what was he to do?"...believe me friend, this coming from a Randall collector/purveyor that buys and sells Randall knives on an almost daily basis - you sir, if you were so inclined, could make a handsome living and full-time career out of doing for Randall knife collectors what the Randall Shop isn't willing to... :eek:

But then again, IMO, you're much too talented to waste your time doing such a silly thing... :cool:

Shel

p.s. leatherman gets my vote for understatement of the year with this 'lil gem: "But that crowd is a little uptight..." Lawdy, now ain't that the truth...lol

Thanks Shel
I fully understand their fears
you are right I don't want to waste my time pursuing that direction, but it's nice to know I could :D and thank you very much for the kind words :eek::)

I think the sheaths look very good. When I have sheaths made, they are made by Chuck Burrows. His quality is excellent, and his prices reflect that.
Keith
Chuck Burrows and Linda's work is amazing , I'm not sure if I'd even attempt that style and period stuf, they have it sewn up for sure :)

Back