What Does It All Mean?

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
I have two clues... you guys get to guess what they mean! :D

Hint - the wood is not one of the clues

Last edited:
A new DFK folder!

We have a winner! :triumphant: :panda:

This one has been in the works for almost two years... I've had the prototype going for a good while now but the CPM-10V blade had warped during heat treat and I had no way to really straighten it... today i came across the blade in the shop, hit it on the new disc sander I built and it is now straight! I've been planning on getting to these this month and am very excited about the upcoming release.

This is my biggest and lightest folder yet... the blade to handle ratio is also my best. You guys really need to see the backspacer... it is too cool! :D

bah... mediocre.
OMG!!!!!!!!!
3.5" blade?

Last edited:
im guessing blade shape is exactly the same as your card.

Yes it is!

No blade pics on this one, I lost a bit of my blade area grinding out a big warp... should be a non-issue in the future as they will mostly be double ground.

usually when I have a folder blade warp (I'm talking .001" type of stuff... not anything visible) I can hand lap the hardened blade on my surface plate with sandpaper. The 10V is something else... the paper wouldn't touch it! I don't have a surface grinder for this type of stuff so I built a disc sander to help me in the shop The disc sander ground the 10V no problem!

Working out the order of operations on the CPM-10V has been tricky and caused me a bit of a delay on this knife being released... now that I have my disc sander built and am doing double grinds pre-heat treat they will work out nicely! This stuff can't really be ground in an effective manner post heat treat so I'm laying in all of the grinds first which is a new thing for me on folders.

I'm going to send some test blades off to Peters for heat treat and RC testing. I have never subbed out heat treat but the CPM-10V and -z-fiNit both need a much hotter kiln with inert atmosphere. I anticipate things going well with the process and expect to start the Kwaiken folders up after my current work.

Back