What EDC lights are you guys using?

Currently alternating between two Fenix models, both gifts from loved ones. One LD20 and one PD36R. I like the LD20 since it’s slim, light, and runs on the widely available double-A batteries. I wasn’t too crazy about the PD36R’s charging feature (since I tend to lose chargers that aren’t for phones or laptops) but since the charging port is USB-C, it can share my laptop charger. Pretty neat.

When it comes to lights, I have fairly straightforward criteria: portability, tailcap buttons, durability. Double-A compatibility, two modes, and pocketclips are nice bonuses. What about you guys?

This light has served me well for several years now. I have a charger and use rechargeable batteries . I've also had the tiny copper one for years and it's a permanent resident of my front pocket. Very bright for a AAA light.
DHw72vG.jpg

z0fHImN.jpg

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-about-knives-and-flashlights.1667697/
(I'm steadily posting pics of my lights in that thread)
My criteria is pretty basic - the light has to appeal to me on some level. I limited myself to a couple of cell sizes for a while, then decided to explore. What I use depends on what I'm doing...what I carry depends on what I'm wearing. For example, I use my R50 a lot; but really I only carry it when I'm wearing a jacket because of the weight (I do have a "holster" for it; but I'm not sure it's ever been in it).

Last edited:
EagTac D25LC2 - I've got lots of lights to choose from, but for EDC this is the one I keep coming back to. I've had it for a good while, so I was surprised when I looked just now and this model is still available new. It's not the latest and greatest, nor even best bang for the buck these days - but it sure has served me well and continues to.

Many years ago I tried the Surefire Defender thing. I picked up a few double CR123, 18650, and a couple AA and AAA lights on the way. Under certain sitations I will switch to one of these lights, however...

The light that is almost always in my back pocket is the Eagletac Clicky that takes a single AA, but I'm using a rechargeable 14500 Li-ion battery (company says it puts out more light with the 14500). I had the older AA version first, and liked it so much I got the newer one. If I wanted a shorter, squatter light with more lumen I would carry the CR123/RCR123 version (which I have) but I like the dimensions of the single AA version better and the ability to use an AA which are easy to find when traveling. I use it a LOT.

For a daily carry my wants are:
  • AA size light that also can take a 14500. OK size for carrying in the pocket. More light. And if the 14500 runs out of juice, I have lithium ion non-rechargeables for backup. (although I charge it once a month and it does fine.)
    A light that size will put out a 500-600 lumens and be floody enough to light up the immediate area. I live on the edge of an open canyon. If I hear something in the bushes I want to completely light it up.
  • tail clicky switch. Easy one handed operation and never have to worry about it turning on in my pocket.
  • No memory switch. See next want below.
  • Starts in low works up to high. Most of the time low is what I want. And I don't want to blind my eyes with a light that starts in high or has a memory switch making me need remember to turn it back to low before I turn it off.
For the last couple of years I've been carrying an UltraTac A1. Not fancy and no bragging rights, but it's been fully reliable and it meets all of the wants I listed above.

For a daily carry my wants are:
  • AA size light that also can take a 14500. OK size for carrying in the pocket. More light. And if the 14500 runs out of juice, I have lithium ion non-rechargeables for backup. (although I charge it once a month and it does fine.)
    A light that size will put out a 500-600 lumens and be floody enough to light up the immediate area. I live on the edge of an open canyon. If I hear something in the bushes I want to completely light it up.
  • tail clicky switch. Easy one handed operation and never have to worry about it turning on in my pocket.
  • No memory switch. See next want below.
  • Starts in low works up to high. Most of the time low is what I want. And I don't want to blind my eyes with a light that starts in high or has a memory switch making me need remember to turn it back to low before I turn it off.
For the last couple of years I've been carrying an UltraTac A1. Not fancy and no bragging rights, but it's been fully reliable and it meets all of the wants I listed above.
Nice criteria. I don’t like flashlights with “too many” features as well. I’m plenty happy with low-med-high or even low-high settings. Clicky switches are neat too.

On my keyrings are a Rovyvon on one and an Ultratac K-18 Mini on the other. The Ultratac offers no real advantages.
The Rovyvon is small enough not to be noticeable and not too small like those 10180 battery flashlights.
Other than that, I will also carry around a 14500 flashlight if I think I need more.

My edc light for a few years now is an HDS Rotary.

It is reliable, durable, bright enough for my needs and several levels to choose from, HiCRI and decent runtime.

i also edc a keychain light which I recently changed to the new Jetbeam Mini One. I don’t usually like non-replaceable batteries but thought I would give this one a try.

On my keyrings are a Rovyvon on one and an Ultratac K-18 Mini on the other. The Ultratac offers no real advantages.
The Rovyvon is small enough not to be noticeable and not too small like those 10180 battery flashlights.
Other than that, I will also carry around a 14500 flashlight if I think I need more.
Really like the K-18 have trouble with my stainless steel one discharging tried contacting their customer service but it's non existent

4Sevens Mini ML, Eagtac D25A Clicky Ti and Fenix LD30.
The 4Sevens and Eagtac are carried the most. Depends on the situation.
m2xOxFi.jpg

I've been carrying the Surefire Aviator for the past 15 years or so straight. I started way back with the incandescent model and have had the LED version since it was released years ago. That red secondary beam is just something I can't live without in a flashlight now that I'm used to it. It's so convenient, doesn't announce your presence, and preserves your natural night sight. All with pressing the same tailcap as the white light, just not as far. I'd say I use the red 98% of the time. It really has proven to be the perfect flashlight for me, and has never let me down. Honestly it's probably the only thing that's kept me from delving deep down the flashlight rabbit hole. I know there are alot of newer, brighter, smaller, rechargeable, etc. lights in cool materials; but this model has served me so well I've just never been compelled to change.

o4x6h3l.jpg

I've been using LED lights for a long time and have been through a lot of different EDC models. These days all of the lights I use are Fenix. I had a PD32 in my briefcase and a PD22 in my pocket for EDC. I found that I used my EDC light more than I did my EDC knife. The PD22 was the first EDC light I've used that had the output that I like. I've since bought a PD25 that has a little more output on CR123 batteries, and even more on rechargeable which I haven't bought yet. I've discovered that my PD32 would give more output on rechargeable. I've wanted a PD35 and recently I found a used PD35 that came with 2 18650 rechargeable batteries so I put one in the PD32. I've also bought a PD36R that is a good light for camping and outdoors, but a little bigger than the PD32 and thus too big for my EDC. In these days when I am working from home, and working a lot on my house, I've been using the PD35 for EDC, it's still a good size for pocket carry. I've been looking at the Olight S1 and S2 models, they seem to be a little smaller than the equivalent Fenix models, but for now I've got all the lights I need for normal use. However I've also been considering trying a Fenix E03R for my keychain so I'll put it on my Christmas list.

Really like the K-18 have trouble with my stainless steel one discharging tried contacting their customer service but it's non existent
I forgot about that problem. Yeah, I can have a Rovyvon on my keys without using it and months later I still have charge. Ultratac K-18's just drain by sitting.

In my pocket a Hanko Timascus twist changed to XPL-HI. I got it new before they were a fortune. I don't have a phone until April 21. Long story, please don't ask.

I forgot about that problem. Yeah, I can have a Rovyvon on my keys without using it and months later I still have charge. Ultratac K-18's just drain by sitting.
My two aluminum ones don't do that the stainless one drain's a rechargeable 10440 in a couple of days though it didn't for the first year or so I owned it

Back