What else ya got?

Good thread, John. I'm in the same boat lately. I'll be following along to see if something else is of interest to me as well. I think I've settled in to just a couple of patterns that are my users.

I have acquired a few Buck knives this year that I really like, especially the 501. Those aren't too bad, and even the custom shop models can be had for less than a new GEC. F&F may be a little more variable, but they make a nice, dependable user!

Older Schrades from the Walden and Cut Co eras are high quality for very reasonable prices on the secondary markets compared to GEC. I have recently acquired a few of the Italian knives from Viper, lionSTEEL and Fantoni which use excellent stainless steel in their blades. These may be a few untapped markets for you to explore.

Walden 897UH
Nr4ewOa.jpg

Shapleigh Diamond Edge (Cut Co)
4C0oFO9.jpg

lionSTEEL Bolus
jwznHMP.jpg

Viper Key
wrOde1x.jpg

Fantoni Dweller
7LnjrsA.jpg

I have eyed that Viper Key a number of times and have been considering one. Any info you would care to share? We can move this off this thread if you like. Thanks.

Same boat here as well. I've purchased some Buck, Case, and SAKs this year but they just don't scratch my itch.

My favorite purchase of the year so far is my Red Trout Boys Knife that Eric put together so I will try to buy some of his knives for a while. I know they will also go lightning fast but I'm hoping they're being bought by folks who appreciate them and not right to auction site.

In the meantime I'm going to save my money for some non knife related purchases.

I've been thinning my knife collection since December of last year. I've kept quite a few knives but have less than a hundred now. Here are a few of them.

DgX10TW.jpg

l8T7RDJ.jpg

SCWtSDr.jpg

M5Fw4v9.jpg

15mSEvd.jpg

I'm pretty much done buying knives. I've been gifting knives lately BUT to John's JohnDF JohnDF question if I were to start buying knives again, I'd follow Gary's Peregrin Peregrin advice and go to higher end/custom knives and specialize in perhaps just one or two cover/handle materials - stag and wood..

Last edited:
The discontinued Buck 700 series knives can still be found in great condition. I think there are 5 patterns but I might be overlooking one. 701, 703, 704, 705, 709.

I got this 1986 703 just a few years ago. It's in great shape and it didn't break the bank. Examples like this aren't that hard to find.

703 1.JPG
703 2.JPG
703 3.JPG

Maybe you've arrived at the destination.
Maybe so...

Or marbles!
I collected marbles when I was a young lad. :cool::thumbsup:

I'd follow Gary's Peregrin Peregrin advice and go to higher end/custom knives and specialize in perhaps just one or two cover/handle materials - stag and wood.
I've started looking at some customs, but it will have to be spot-on for me to spend that kind of money.

Look for some of the old Queen-made Moore Makers.
Queen knives are a good suggestion too.

Swinden. Dave Swinden.
You seem to know every other detail, but can't (or won't) spell it right when you go on your continuous Schrade USA bashing.:poop:
Not "bashing" the old Schrade.
They were my "go to" knife company for probably 40 years. However, I tended to stick with the Ulster, (until they shut that name down around 1969/1970, and yes, that ticked me off almost as much as GM, turning Pontiac, Olds, Buick, and Cadillac into nothing but a re-badged Chevrolet. (remember the original Cadillac Seville? A re-branded Chevy Citation. Remember the "350L" engine and the lawsuit by people who bought an Oldsmobile with a 350 V-8 and GM stuck a "350L" in, which was/is a Chevrolet 350 small block? Even today, what's left of GM; Chevy, Buick, Cadillac all have a now called "Corporate" small block Chevy engine. ), Camillus, and Old Timer lines.
My last Old Timer USA purchases were a 7OT and 6OT, around 1997. I still have them. Both were carried for consecutive years, along with other Schrade family knives or a 2 or 3 layer SAK in my pocket.
Sadly, of the others, all that is left is an Ulster Number 10 Barlow. (not one of the Reynolds Tobacco knives).
I bought a couple "Taylor Schrade" 7OT's, and one "Taylor Schrade" Uncle Henry LB7 while driving a truck cross country. I also purchased a "Taylor Schrade" Hammer Brand 4 blade gunboat whittler. (I gave the LB7 to my boss. I decided it was "too fancy" for me).
Since retiring in 2017, I've bought five BTI Old Timer knives:
One Uncle Henry 885UH. Aside from the Stagalon covers, and 7CR14MoV blade it is the same as the 8OT I had in the 1970's. Guess what? It takes and holds an edge just as well as my old 8OT did.
One 858OT stickman. I never had an 858 before, so I cannot compare it to other than the 8OT, which is smaller. Again, same edge holding and build quality.
858OTB This has 9CR18MoV ("440C equivalent") blades. I never had a Schrade USA with 440C blades that I remember.
One 280OT Barlow. Aside from having stainless steel blades (7CR14MoV) instead of 1095, it is equal in quality to my 1959-1968 Ulster Number 10.
One 23T "Scout/Camp" knife. Over-all quality is the same as my 1960's Ulster "Official BSA" knife.
Admittedly, bail came off the 23OT (BTI has sent a replacement knife). However, it was not unheard of for the bail to come off an "Official" BSA 4 blade Scout/Camp knife, regardless of what company had the contract ... or the multitude of "unofficial" BSA 4 blade scout/camp knives, for that matter.
One 25OT Two blade slipjoint folding hunter.
I never had this patter, either, when I was young
At any rate, none of the Taylor Schrade, BTI Schrade or Schrade USA knives I have are "perfect". They all have gotta search with a bright light to find them gaps, no blade wiggle, a blade pull of around "5". All take and hold a "Razor Edge" (6OT/7OT old or new, after re-profiling to 10 DPS/ 20 degrees inclusive.)
My saying the offshore produced knives are "just as good" as the old USA (and Ireland) produced Schrade brands isn't "bashing" them.
It is the truth, based on personal experience and actual use.
Out of curiosity, how many that bash the post 2004 manufactured Schrade knives do you honestly think have actually held or used one?
My guess? Few to none. Their "The USA Schrade's we made by gods and are perfect, never a gap, uneven edge, dull from the box ..." attitude makes me wonder if they've ever handled a pre-2004 Schrade product, as well. Small gaps and other cosmetic defects are "normal". Even my GEC knives have minor cosmetic defects, like un-noticeable with naked eyes gaps, less than perfect transition bolster to cover, blades not perfectly centered, etc.. So what? Doesn't affect the functionality at all, at all. :)
Nothing made by humans is "100% perfect".
As my great grand father (1892-1974) said: "Expect Perfection, be eternally disappointed."

Nor is it bashing the brands, stating that the old Made in USA Schrade family of knives cost 2x or more on the secondary market than when they were new.
I recently saw an Ulster Number 10 online with asking price of $58. The knife cost under $5 when new.
Old 8OT's have prices nearer to $100 than $50. They were $25~$30 when new.
Saying "The pre-2004 Schrade's are over-priced" isn't "bashing" the knives. The sellers, maybe, but not the knives themselves.

My apologies to you, Mr. Swinson, and his family for misspelling his name. I was unaware I was spelling it wrong.

Sometimes it's good to just take a break from buying any knives, and reflect a bit.
That's exactly where I've been for a little while.
I bought a GEC #33 because it was kind of the "right place at the right time" sorta thing.
But basically I've been looking for and buying random vintage knives lately, mostly on the cheap.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get an old Colonial that's sitting in my mailbox. :D

Back