What else ya got?

I'll second, third or fourth the vintage knife angle. If so, look for vintage catalog reprints from companies such as Remington or Napanoch that show the knives at scale. Lots of companies to pick from including Southington, Humason & Beckely, Miller Brothers, and Union. Nothing beats handling them in person, so flea markets and guns shows would give you an opportunity to see how they were made even if they are a bit worn. Most of the patterns were purpose built. I don't stick to one pattern or company, but I try to find good examples of early 1900s knives. I have some knives that aren't in great shape, but they are nice to use. Here's a Schrade with peach seed jigging:

pBdt8dj.jpg

You could also collect old knife boxes, printing blocks or ads by vintage companies.
1yC1RDl.jpg

Have you given any thought to the Case/Bose collaborations? I have two & they're easily my favorites. They're pricey, but I don't buy knives to look at. They're users & they'll hold up.

My knife collecting/shuffling has almost come to a stand-still. I've grown very tired of the GEC LollyScramble and secondary prices, so I've stopped looking at them and I'm (pretty much) done trying to buy them. I'm tired of the same-ol-same-ol knives that Case keeps putting out, I think I have all the ones I want and like. Have to patiently wait for them to bring something cool out of the vault. Same goes for the Schrade USA knives, I have the ones I want already and it's not like they are going to come out with new ones. I don't buy knives just because they're there, they have to fit my wants and needs. I don't like the Rough Ryder knives and I'm not particularly fond of the French styling that seems popular here these days. So I'm asking you guys to give me ideas on what you enjoy collecting and maybe something might strike up an interest for me. Plus, who doesn't enjoy seeing knife pictures. :D
John- Trying to learn to re-handle old knives has really satisfied my desire for new knives. I don’t know if that’s something you would be into, but it has been fun (and frustrating) for me. I’ve just been buying old beaters online (TL-29s, old advertising knives, etc) for $10 or less. You get the thrill of the hunt and when you’re done, you have a pretty cheap new knife that’s a little different than others. Mine are far from perfect, but I’ve made some decent users.
M9MEhHv.jpg

mNXfDNz.jpg

5Rq5Cnb.jpg

My apologies to you, Mr. Swinson, and his family for misspelling his name. I was unaware I was spelling it wrong.
Ok, so you're either thick or purposely misspelling it to be disrespectful. Got it.:thumbsup:
When you can't get it right, even after being corrected, you're no longer credible.
Everything you say (as lengthy and rambling as it is) must be viewed through that lens.
No need to reply. I'm done here.
Sorry to run off course, John.

Besides vintage Buck and Case, I like to look for Hardware Company branded knives. I have found nice examples of LF&C, HSB, E.C. Simmons, Belknap, Primble and of course Craftsman pocketknives. I don’t go after them avidly, just when the opportunity presents itself. There are endless varieties and labels to collect. OH

E-C-Simmons-Keen-Kutter-3-1-2-Regular-Jack.jpg

Primble-Jack-knife-11-17-2012.jpg

Last edited:
Are you getting jaded? ;) Searching for a new obsession ? :D We could confiscate your entire knife collection (and funds...) for a month and see how you manage Knife Cold Turkey? :cool:

There are other niches in the knife-world....

Butter-knives?

ybZTOkR.jpg

More seriously, if I must...

Puukko(t)?

Winchester Black Box (I should not suggest that...)

Queen Cutlery ACSB, WCSB, BEM, or Zebrawood D2 knives c 1998-2010 at least the equal of GEC yet not costing hundreds for a brass&carbon job. You'll have to get diamond stones though.

Custom can be very good, but watch out not all Customs are equal. If you like Stag look at Mr Ohta's work, a very dignified reliable Gent too.

Ks6T6FR.jpg

Are you getting jaded? ;) Searching for a new obsession ? :D We could confiscate your entire knife collection (and funds...) for a month and see how you manage Knife Cold Turkey? :cool:

There are other niches in the knife-world....

Butter-knives?

ybZTOkR.jpg

More seriously, if I must...

Puukko(t)?

Winchester Black Box (I should not suggest that...)

Queen Cutlery ACSB, WCSB, BEM, or Zebrawood D2 knives c 1998-2010 at least the equal of GEC yet not costing hundreds for a brass&carbon job. You'll have to get diamond stones though.

Custom can be very good, but watch out not all Customs are equal. If you like Stag look at Mr Ohta's work, a very dignified reliable Gent too.

Ks6T6FR.jpg

his customer service is also top notch ive heard and seen here.

John,

I have a little more time for a more proper response.

I'm in a similar boat as you. Over the years I've tried numerous knives (traditional, modern and kitchen) and really zeroed in on what I like. I don't like a lot of the modern styles and in most cases I see this category of knives as utilitarian so I'm very, very function oriented. I have my favorite user modern models locked in. There's a couple I might try but I don't need to.

After trying several styles of knives, I know what I like in the kitchen now. Again, I'm very performance driven here so as much as I might admire the looks of a lot of high-end or custom kitchen cutlery, I never feel the need to spend the money on them.

As for Traditionals, after a year plus of being exclusively dedicated to these (a very fun one at that) I know what I like here as well and this is where my focus is primarily lying these days. I'm being more selective and focusing on sort of classier knives. Some might say "gentleman's" knives but I don't think that's a good description. That Buck I showed earlier gets used all the time, not just on dress up days. I know you don't care for the modern-Traditionals but I've found some from the Maniago makers that I really, really like and am pursuing. I also like some of the fixed-blade offerings from them even though I no longer need one. Our French friends can give you recommendations on very nice locally made little French models that won't break the bank. Chambriard is another maker I really like. I'm largely focused on wood handles cuz I like them.

In short, these days, I'm buying less but enjoying what I have more. All of that experimenting started to make me feel like there wasn't much left for me. It actually started to bum me out. I was dismissing knives far more than I was intrigued by anything. But then I realized that some knives made me happy beyond just their function. I could have both. They don't need to fill a niche and if I can't get a certain one right now? No biggy, I'll enjoy the ones I have until I can. This has all freed up some mental capacity and funds to expand on my other passion; cooking. I'm slowly but surely, replacing and upgrading all my cookware.

I would also strongly suggest, if you don't already, sharpening.

I know that was very long. I just wanted to convey that you're not alone and share how my thought process went in case you could relate. :)

For the last 35 years my first love has been Victorinox SAKs. The company’s history is fascinating, and you can specialize as much (or as little) as you like. While it is possible to spend a large sum, you can also get into the hobby very cheaply.

View attachment 1423653 View attachment 1423654

That’s quite a collection! :thumbsup: My dad was an SAK guy. He didn’t really collect them, but he had a bunch, and it’s what he carried most often (although at some point he started carrying a Leatherman more than an SAK). He seemed particularly drawn to the pocket-brick models — the more tools/blades, the better. :D This was one of his.

MQoMfJG.jpg

I’ve always had a few SAKs lying around, mostly the standard red cellidor variety, but recently I’ve been more drawn to the Alox models. (I don’t think my dad ever owned an Alox SAK.)

PzDp8h5.jpg

That said, for me at least, these don’t quite scratch the same itch as the type of traditional knives made by GEC, Case, et al.

John- Trying to learn to re-handle old knives has really satisfied my desire for new knives. I don’t know if that’s something you would be into, but it has been fun (and frustrating) for me. I’ve just been buying old beaters online (TL-29s, old advertising knives, etc) for $10 or less. You get the thrill of the hunt and when you’re done, you have a pretty cheap new knife that’s a little different than others. Mine are far from perfect, but I’ve made some decent users.
M9MEhHv.jpg

mNXfDNz.jpg

5Rq5Cnb.jpg

Nice work! :thumbsup:

If none of that works you can always "Buy More Ammo"!
Always good advice. :D

p. Excellent entry into custom knives. Nearly flawless and 1/2 the price they should be.
120cc709-09f6-408e-a276-f68a303efc51-jpeg.1423723
I will look into them. :):thumbsup:

Have you given any thought to the Case/Bose collaborations?
Yes, there are a couple that strike my fancy. Finding the right price is the tricky part.

Trying to learn to re-handle old knives has really satisfied my desire for new knives.
I'd ruin so many knives doing that. :(

Have you tried Mora or Opinel knives?
Yes, I have. :)

Hardware Company branded knives.
That's a focus I haven't thought about. Thanks. :cool::thumbsup:

That really is a beauty. :cool::thumbsup:

In short, these days, I'm buying less but enjoying what I have more.
And maybe that's where I'm at too.
Less and less are turning my head and opening my wallet. But i do enjoy a casual hunt for new ones.

Nice work! :thumbsup:
Thank you.

I'd ruin so many knives doing that. :(
I don’t think I’ve ruined any, but I’ve definitely had some that I messed up and had to start over. That’s the frustrating part. Hopefully I learn something and can make it work and that’s the fun part. Although some might argue even if it turns out okay I’ve still ruined an old knife.

It seems that some people collect to own, some to use, some both. Some buy all of one thing, some one of everything. Some stay with one manufacturer, some spread it around. Some have a favorite in their pocket regularly, some change every day. To each his own. I find that I buy every knife thinking I will actually use it, AND enjoy owning it, but I have too many to ever use consistently. Some are too nice to use, or may not match the purpose of the day. So despite a bunch of well-loved GECs, I always tend to grab my Kershaw Leek or Benchmade Mini-Griptilian as I'm walking out the door, my only two remaining modern folders, as they can do anything I seem to need, and I don't worry about loss. Both are easily replaced, and I could replace both for the price of one GEC, which I'd probably have trouble finding!.

When I do grab a GEC it's usually my Calf Roper (ebony), due it's being small with multiple blades. I'm curious what others find as their most frequently carried knife (or two), and logic for carrying relative to others.

I think this is part of the natural evolution of things...most of us probably get that feeling at some point. For me, I get the most excitement looking for specific knives but even that wears off after a while. I do grab a few new releases here and there as they come but, for the most part, have stopped buying knives on the secondary altogether. My passion now is primarily focused on making knives.

Having said that, allow me to take this a slightly different direction. Have you considered tinkering with knife mods? I say that because it opens up a lot of creative doors and the opportunity to have, literally, whatever knife you ever hoped GEC, or any maker, would put out (or that you could acquire if they already did) without going the custom route. You don't need a lot of space or tools to modify knives and you know people in the community who would be willing to help you get going *cough* :thumbsup: Just a thought...

I think this is part of the natural evolution of things...most of us probably get that feeling at some point. For me, I get the most excitement looking for specific knives but even that wears off after a while. I do grab a few new releases here and there as they come but, for the most part, have stopped buying knives on the secondary altogether. My passion now is primarily focused on making knives.

Having said that, allow me to take this a slightly different direction. Have you considered tinkering with knife mods? I say that because it opens up a lot of creative doors and the opportunity to have, literally, whatever knife you ever hoped GEC, or any maker, would put out (or that you could acquire if they already did) without going the custom route. You don't need a lot of space or tools to modify knives and you know people in the community who would be willing to help you get going *cough* :thumbsup: Just a thought...
Could you show me a before and after? Doesn’t need to be the same knife. Or point to something on eBay that would be worth fixing up? Trying to actualize what you are suggesting

Could you show me a before and after? Doesn’t need to be the same knife. Or point to something on eBay that would be worth fixing up? Trying to actualize what you are suggesting
I don't want to hijack this thread, per se, and have a dedicated thread for modding.

However, you could take a Rough Ryder, for example, or something relatively inexpensive and turn it into something more specific to your aesthetic preferences. Same would go for user GECs or releases in materials that weren't as sought after.

Before:
Rehandle_02.jpg

During:
Rehandle_03.jpg

After:
RoughRyderSwayback_PauFerro.jpg

Back