What expectations do you have when making a knife purchase?

I just thought this could spark an interesting conversation. This discussion can be about fixed or folder purchases. What areas are you willing or unwilling to compromise on when purchasing a new knife?
I’ll start things off by describing some of the major things I look for. I’m not a fan of flashy fancy looking knives, I like high quality solid knives that look as if they are meant to be used. I prefer manual folding knives with non spring loaded locking mechanisms. I’m willing to compromise in other areas such as manufacturer, locking mechanisms, blade steel, handle material, etc.

You can be as detailed as you want. Are there certain things you are willing or unwilling to compromise on when buying a new knife?

I think I'm certainly brand loyal, I am less likely to try new companies (new to me that is), and if I do I am pretty hesitant about it. I'm a fan of ZT and Spyderco for the most part, blade size and shape are a bit more important to me than steel (like mid range and up. I am good with S30V as much as I am good with M390), Ergonomics are important as well of course and I have a preference for frame, liner locks and compression locks over Axis locks (no idea why). Although I am not dead set on it, I'm currently eyeing the new Benchmade ...Stiletto knife and the...dagger knife...(*google*) Fact and Vector, right.
If I had to pick three important criteria, 3.5"+ blade ideally, a bit modern style to it (as opposed to say a GEC) and overall ergonomics. Lock type, handle material, blade material, clip position and colors all come later. I wouldn't get a knife that's under 3" and I wouldn't get a knife with horrible ergos, and well anything that I deem overpriced :D

If it has a skull on it I won't look at it let alone buy it.
If it has a stabby ridge down the side of the knife . . . think Cold Steel Ti Lite I might buy it but it will see the grinder within the week to remove the ridge.
I won't buy an orange handled knife.
I'm not against a highly polished blade (they slide through what you are cutting better) I will draw the line at a knife with goofy texture and holes and slots on the actual cutting area of the knife (spydie hole excepted of course) I mean it may look cool but is going to get all manner of junk hung up on it and in it. A blood groove on a fancy folding knife ? Don't get me started.
Thin slick handle scales are OK if I like the rest of the knife and if I can replace them.
. . . .
I better stop there I'm sure I could go on for at least another chapter or so.
Oh yeah combo blades (plain edge and serrated on the same blade) nope nope.
Western Tanto . . . agaaahhhh
. . . . and he was yanked off stage with one of those shepard's hook looking things.

I think I'm certainly brand loyal, I am less likely to try new companies (new to me that is), and if I do I am pretty hesitant about it. I'm a fan of ZT and Spyderco for the most part, blade size and shape are a bit more important to me than steel (like mid range and up. I am good with S30V as much as I am good with M390), Ergonomics are important as well of course and I have a preference for frame, liner locks and compression locks over Axis locks (no idea why). Although I am not dead set on it, I'm currently eyeing the new Benchmade ...Stiletto knife and the...dagger knife...(*google*) Fact and Vector, right.
If I had to pick three important criteria, 3.5"+ blade ideally, a bit modern style to it (as opposed to say a GEC) and overall ergonomics. Lock type, handle material, blade material, clip position and colors all come later. I wouldn't get a knife that's under 3" and I wouldn't get a knife with horrible ergos, and well anything that I deem overpriced :D

I feel the same way about the axis lock. Liner locks are my favorite mechanism. I like playing around with the axis lock but I just don’t have a lot of confidence in it.

If it has a stabby ridge down the side of the knife . . . think Cold Steel Ti Lite I might buy it but it will see the grinder within the week to remove the ridge.
I'm not against a highly polished blade (they slide through what you are cutting better) I will draw the line at a knife with goofy texture and holes and slots on the actual cutting area of the knife (spydie hole excepted of course) I mean it may look cool but is going to get all manner of junk hung up on it and in it. A blood groove on a fancy folding knife ? Don't get me started.
Thin slick handle scales are OK if I like the rest of the knife and if I can replace them.
. . . .
. . . . and he was yanked off stage with one of those shepard's hook looking things.

I don’t care for skulls on knives either, plus I’m not big on orange handles although I spotted a sprint run ZT 0630 with orange handles that I really liked.

Quality. Experience with certain brands.
I recently bought a Kershaw Link (assisted opening) with an M390 steel blade. I am very happy with the quality of this knife and have included it in my EDC rotation big time.
Another, the axis lock Griptilian. My first axis lock and very impressed with it!

My most loyal knife of quality. Built like a tank and so smooth to open/close with the tightest tolerances I have ever seen on a knife.
If you have not tried one, you are really missing something special. Here it is:

Rat Worx mini MRX automatic.
Finest production knife I've experienced to date.
Its an auto..just know that for your State laws.

No liner locks.
Preferably not a frame lock.
If a knife I like is only available in 8cr13mov, I'll still buy it.
If a knife I like is only available in 4116 Stainless, I'll pass.
Stacked leather washer handles or micarta are preferred, unless there's some really pretty wood or antler.

. . . .

No Broken Skull Orange for you ;)

I like to stick with what I know, so I don’t mind being loyal to a brand. If it seems like a knife will suit my daily chores, I like trying new knives. Sometimes it doesn’t work out. I pay close attention to what’s said about a manufacturer’s customer service dealings. What’s the use of having a knife if you can’t depend on top notch CS if there’s ever an issue.

My expectations: Whether it's $200 or $2,000--or more--I know dam well that doesn't mean the knife won't come with blemishes or cosmetic flaws.

Perhaps I've missed the point of the OP, but lotso noobs need to know.^

"Expectation is the root of all heartache." -Billie Boy

I try to not spend hundred and hundreds of dollars on knives every month so one thing I always do if I'm interested in a particular model is research the hell out of it. Some times to the extent of overkill. I have too many knives as it is(and I love em' all), so I try my damndest to figure out whether or not it's worth the investment.

So usually my expectations are pretty damn high because if they weren't I wouldn't have bought the thing anyway.

I try to not spend hundred and hundreds of dollars on knives every month so one thing I always do if I'm interested in a particular model is research the hell out of it. Some times to the extent of overkill. I have too many knives as it is(and I love em' all), so I try my damndest to figure out whether or not it's worth the investment.

So usually my expectations are pretty damn high because if they weren't I wouldn't have bought the thing anyway.

I do the same thing. When I find a knife that sparks my interest, I try to find out how it is rated, issues other people have had with it, how well folks like it, how well it holds up with long term use, etc.

I fully expect that it would be my very last knife purchase...and then, I see yet another one, sell that one to fund the next one that will be the very last knife purchase I will make....rinse and repeat as necessary ;)
G2

My expectations are as follows :

Comes sharp

Holds an edge respectably

Easy to sharpen

No blade play

Easy to open

Decent walk and talk

no edge contact

No hotspots in hand

These are my expectations for knife purchases of various types which is what you asked for, not my preferences as I could open a can of worms with those.

My expectations are as follows :

Comes sharp

Holds an edge respectably

Easy to sharpen

No blade play

Easy to open

Decent walk and talk

no edge contact

No hotspots in hand

These are my expectations for knife purchases of various types which is what you asked for, not my preferences as I could open a can of worms with those.
Yeah, we better keep the worms in the can or the mods will come by and seal it shut.

Is exspecting a blade to come with an apex asking too much ?
If you're buying from Queen Cutlery, yes. Of course, we saw how well that model worked.

I did enjoy their knives though. Just wish they'd have sharpened them.

I expect a blade to be well centered and to lock up solidly in a folder. If "action" is part of the equation like it is for a flipper then I expect that to be good as well. I expect non-blem models to be free of blemishes. Basically I just expect the manufacturer to hit the mark that they were aiming for and I expect the knife to live up to its price tag.

In fixed blades I just expect the grinds to be even, the handles to be solid and the knife to again be free of blemishes.

Yeah, we better keep the worms in the can or the mods will come by and seal it shut.

And that's exactly why I didn't open them.

Besides preferences doesn't really correlate to expectations anyways.
You buy to your preferences, there's no expecting a knife to fit them.
If you prefer a certain performance, action, and overall level of quality, those are actual expectations.

Maybe everyone is really just saying that they expect to get what they ordered ?

Back