What expectations do you have when making a knife purchase?

That's the first time i have heard anyone say the axis lock seemed weaker than a liner lock. Personally I feel like it's way stronger than the liner lock. I really like the axis and frame lock. But have started to enjoy some others as well like the hawk lock and compression lock. Nesting the liner lock does wonders for it.

I have just had so many bad linerlocks that i do not want one anymore unless its nested or done by spyderco or an equivalent. And i dont care for a backlock unless its on a traditional knife. I do enjoy the axis lock.

I just got a new bugout and it made me appreciate thinner blade stock. What an incredible knife for such a small and light package. It punches well above its weightclass. So now im venturing into the world of thinner blades.

The axis lock is stronger than the liner lock by a very large margin. Like I said in the opening post, I just don’t have a lot of confidence in spring loaded locking mechanisms, meaning if the spring breaks, the lock will not perform as designed. Sure you could probably manipulate them somehow to lock the blade open, but I prefer the lock to work as intended. It’s not that they are bad, I’m just more comfortable with other designs.

Yea the lock still works without the spring but i see what your saying i just dont have much confidence in linerlocks especially compared to an axis lock. If you do some research on models you will find certain models are more susceptible to breaking springs like the 940.

Other models do not break springs as often or at all. Its just like anything else i suppose. There is good and bad in them all. I haven't sent any of my axis locks in for springs but that doesnt mean it can't happen. Spyderco does the cbbl on the manix that is like the axis lock. But it has springs as well.

I dont here about them breaking often though either. They also have the bolt lock but its just on one side. The way i see it is the liner lock is a spring and i hear about them malfuctioning the same amount or (more in some cases) than i do axis or cbbl or bolts locks etc( Lock up past the other side of tang and stuck open having to early causing lock slip and on and on). But everything breaks in time or wears out.
The axis lock is stronger than the liner lock by a very large margin. Like I said in the opening post, I just don’t have a lot of confidence in spring loaded locking mechanisms, meaning if the spring breaks, the lock will not perform as designed. Sure you could probably manipulate them somehow to lock the blade open, but I prefer the lock to work as intended. It’s not that they are bad, I’m just more comfortable with other designs.

I understand your side. Different strokes and all that.Just throwing this idea out there. Maybe you get a new outlook. Maybe not. Sorry for derailing the thread. I will refrain from any further derailment i promise:)

I'm curious as to how often they fail? I hear lots of complaints on these forums, but very, very few about axis lock failures - and Benchmades are very popular knives.

The axis lock is stronger than the liner lock by a very large margin. Like I said in the opening post, I just don’t have a lot of confidence in spring loaded locking mechanisms, meaning if the spring breaks, the lock will not perform as designed.

I'm curious as to how often they fail? I hear lots of complaints on these forums, but very, very few about axis lock failures - and Benchmades are very popular knives.

You’ll get some different responses from this question, but out of over 35 BMs, all AXIS locks, I have broken one spring in 5 years....and it was my fault.
The BM tech called me to let me know the spring broke because I was pulling back on one side to unlock. Use 2 fingers to unlock and a broken O spring is rare.
Joe

I am left handed so whatever I buy has to be LH friendly. I am actively carrying some knives RH now to get use to it so I can weak hand carry.
Centered.

Majority of my knives as Benchmade since they are so Ambi friendly in general.

Like palonej said, you will get a variety of responses to this question. Some folks have experienced spring breakage within a few months, while others either never had one to break or it took several years for one to break. One of the employees at my local Benchmade dealer had both springs to break on him at the same time after 10 years.

And that's exactly why I didn't open them.

Besides preferences doesn't really correlate to expectations anyways.
You buy to your preferences, there's no expecting a knife to fit them.
If you prefer a certain performance, action, and overall level of quality, those are actual expectations.

Maybe everyone is really just saying that they expect to get what they ordered ?

Heh? o_O

If you prefer a certain performance, action, and overall level of quality, those are preferences. "Prefer" is right there in the word.

And I do buy to my preferences, AND I expect a knife to meet them. If I prefer a knife to come sharp or have good fit and finish (which I do), etc, then I expect it to be sharp and have good fit and finish etc, when I get it.

So I am not sure what you are attempting to get at. :confused:

I'm getting a code steel code 4 the only thing I expect from this knife is the Tri-ad lock to be spot on with no blade play . The rest of the knife not so sure what to expect .

I'm getting a code steel code 4 the only thing I expect from this knife is the Tri-ad lock to be spot on with no blade play . The rest of the knife not so sure what to expect .

There should be no issue with that tri-ad lock. It's rock solid. I know that almost any kind of lock will suffice for someone who knows how to use a knife properly, but shtuff happens. You never know when that extra strong lock will come in handy or save your hand.

I expect to get what I paid for. Other than that, I just hope that I like it.

Me too. So far my collection has to meet my expectations for the price. For example my Leek seems like a good value, new under $50.00. Buck 300 at $25.00 is a smokin bargain. Neither disappoint.

I prefer to get what I paid for versus "expect". Sometimes, just getting the knife is the preference as I have few expectations other than I hope I'll like it.

Back