What Fiddleback Forge knife are you totin' today?

Also, cocobolo tends to be more porous than ironwood. Ironwood will be really smooth. Cocobolo sometimes has little nicks and notches dispersed throughout.

Sorta like this:

IMG_5835a.jpg

;)

~ P.

You gotto rub it a bit first to warm it up and get some oil going....

Okay, well maybe a little bitter smell? Definitely not sweet. I can't help but feel a little funny sitting here rubbing my knife and smelling it..

Also, cocobolo tends to be more porous than ironwood. Ironwood will be really smooth. Cocobolo sometimes has little nicks and notches dispersed throughout.

The handles are the definition of smooth. Either way I am happy with it. I just haven't seen cocobolo this dark. I have a hiking buddy with cocobolo wood and it is a lot lighter in color.

R4ibX7V.jpg

Sorta like this:

IMG_5835a.jpg

;)

~ P.

It definitely doesn't have any nicks at all. It is as smooth as could be. I just inspected my hiking buddy that has cocobolo handles and you can see the nicks. The raptor definitely does not have any at all, it is completely smooth.

Last edited:
because bocote is yellowish w/ black grain running through it

So are you saying the hiking buddy is bocote then?

Okay you are totally right. I just went and found the link I saved when I bought the knife and it is bocote. My bad. I am obviously not well versed in my woods. I can't keep track of all these different woods. Maybe I have to many different knives? Haaa no way that is possible!

What about the raptor then?

yes

on stuff like bocote, its straight forward. on the others I ask the Andy or Allen

To be fair, both bocote and cocobolo are referred to as "rosewood."

Bocote is in the genera Cordia and Cocobolo is Dalbergia. Most folks refer to Dalberga species as "true rosewoods".

Over time bocote will change to a deeper red.

It has been suggested that several different Dalbergia species are mislabeled as cocobolo, and vice versa.

When Esnyx released a knife with the reformed j.b. champlin co. with "rosewood" from the cataraugus NY factory, I believe there was some miscommunication about the species and it ended up being cocobolo.

When I read rosewood, I typically think of Dalbergia stevensonii. Whereas Cocobolo is Dalbergia retusa...

We also come across Dalbergia latifolia quite a bit, which is "indian rosewood", or "satisal".

In any case, I would agree that looks more like bocote in the light.

But for that matter, it also looks like Pau Ferro (Machaerium scleroxylon).

I have a suspicion that a lot of wood is coming across the southern border a bit casually marked.

Last edited:
After reading and looking I would agree the raptor is cocobolo.

To be fair, both bocote and cocobolo are referred to as "rosewood."

Bocote is in the genera Cordia and Cocobolo is Dalbergia. Most folks refer to Dalberga species as "true rosewoods".

Over time bocote will change to a deeper red.

It has been suggested that several different Dalbergia species are mislabeled as cocobolo, and vice versa.

When Esnyx released a knife with the reformed j.b. champlin co. with "rosewood" from the cataraugus NY factory, I believe there was some miscommunication about the species and it ended up being cocobolo.

When I read rosewood, I typically think of Dalbergia stevensonii. Whereas Cocobolo is Dalbergia retusa...

We also come across Dalbergia latifolia quite a bit, which is "indian rosewood", or "satisal".

In any case, I would agree that looks more like bocote in the light.

But for that matter, it also looks like Pau Ferro (Machaerium scleroxylon).

I have a suspicion that a lot of wood is coming across the southern border a bit casually marked.

Never heard of Bocote referred to as a Rosewood. In addition to your "Rosewoods" above, and Cocobolo, don't forget African Blackwood, aka, Dalbergia Melanoxylon - http://www.wood-database.com/african-blackwood/. All the Dalbergias share some interesting characteristics when worked. I really dig the smell - it can be somewhere between vanilla and cinnamon. Turning them on the lathe for say drawer pulls, because of the waxy/oily content, just polishing with fine grit papers past 600 and then holding a cloth with some Ren wax is about all thats needed to finish. The negative is that some folks develop a really nasty allergy working with these. My fav dovetail saw has Cocobolo handles and there's something very pleasing about grabbing hold of that one. Cool, smooth, weighty/substantial - not rational, but there.

Bocote's interesting, when milling the sawdust is distinctly yellow. A bit of BLO turns it darker towards light brown and over time it just gets richer, lovely honey towards reddish. Cocobolos start out orange to red but grow towards a more uniform brown over time. Its a little disappointing given how beautiful the color is when first milled and finished.

Back