What Fiddlebacks are you looking for?

What Fiddleback family knives do you look for on Fridays? (Models, steel type and thickness, handles)

I'll start things off by saying I look for ---

-- Knives with 4 to 5-inch blades and handles 5.3-5.5" long in 1/8 stock (got a Camp Muk that meets handle criterion, but it 3/16. Great knife, very useful, but I'd also like to have one with 1/8" stock and a long handle to pack on long hikes in the mountains);

-- W. A. Surls models based on Big Palmer handle in 3/32" A2 steel. Lil Ness has amazing ergonomics;

-- And something that doesn't yet exist: a Monarch blade with a more comfortable butt end, maybe with a Big Palmer handle.

What Fiddleback family knives do you look for on Fridays? (Models, steel type and thickness, handles)

I'll start things off by saying I look for ---

-- Knives with 4 to 5-inch blades and handles 5.3-5.5" long in 1/8 stock (got a Camp Muk that meets handle criterion, but it 3/16. Great knife, very useful, but I'd also like to have one with 1/8" stock and a long handle to pack on long hikes in the mountains);

My handles don't vary much in length. Meaning the Camp Nessmuk handle isn't going to come longer or shorter. It is what it is. Also, the Camp Nessie isn't very often done in 1/8" stock because of its function as a chopper.

Stainless currently, and synthetic handles are my preferences. I also prefer thinner stock.

Though I don't really have a knife budget right now, I'm keeping my eyes out for a 1/8 or 3/32 stainless F2 with a nice synthetic handle. I really like some of the more neutral burlap colors, like the evergreen, and greybeard. If/when I find an F2 like that I'll buy it immediately, I'll snag a few hundred from my emergency fund if I have to!

In the mean time, when I do actually have some "knife money", I'll be looking for a custom shop hiking buddy or I'll snag a production one if it comes to it!

I've been looking for a Scandi Arete in Desert Ironwood with Black Liners for what seems like forever.

I want a Sneaky Pete to match my very first Fiddleback, a Bushfinger... Black bolsters and jade g10 with blue behind the jade, tapered tang, 1/8". Been waiting for several years, but I don't think that's a popular color combo.

-Will

A (stainless) Leuku from 1/8" stock, preferably with tapered tang.
A (stainless) Ladyfinger in 1/8" (or thinner) stock, preferably with tapered tang.

All Fiddleback handles I've seen (mostly in pictures) has been gorgeous, so I guess most will do if the other "requirements" are met :)

Hunter or Woodsman or Duke

Bog Oak w/ OD bolsters, trinity pinout, TT, orange or lime liners

Wish I could just place an order ;)

My handles don't vary much in length. Meaning the Camp Nessmuk handle isn't going to come longer or shorter. It is what it is. Also, the Camp Nessie isn't very often done in 1/8" stock because of its function as a chopper.

Thanks, Andy, for your reply. I understand. And just to be clear, my 3/16" Camp Nessmuk is my very favorite Fiddleback. My wife's too. After seeing the work it can do in the kitchen on meat and uncooked chicken, she said, "Don't ever sell that one!" I also bought it on the day my father would have turned 100, and he made the knife I carried all through Boy Scouts. I feel very fortunate to have acquired this knife whose 5 1/3" handle extends all the way to the edge of my palm, particularly after learning that a Camp Muk with a handle that long is rare. I use it as a chopper when going after ivy vines infesting the woods around here. As for backpacking, it's definitely going some places with me this year.

Id love to get a hold of a F2 , Pocket Kephart, Minnow, Runt, 2 Finger Karda, 3 Finger Karda, Esquire, Patch Knife in some kind of ShadeTree Burlap In Stainless. The only reason Im stuck on the Stainless is because I live an work on the Chesapeake Bay here in Maryland an saltwater isn't very kind to 01.

.... a guardless woodchuck in 1/8" TT with a micarta bolstered burlap.....and i have my dedicated kitchen Fiddleback!!!....and in stainless to add to crazyfinger's list :thumbup:

My list: Bushcrafter(s), KPH, Snubnose, Toothpick, Toboggan, Bishop, belt knife

Desired Configs
Thin stock A2 (1/8 or less). Black pins. Black bolsters. Slate, Cornflower or OD G10. Evergreen, Shamrock, Navy, or Starry Night. TT. Lime over black.

Specific Knives:
Bushcrafter or Jr. – Black bolster w/ Osage orange, Starry Night, Philellow or Shamrock Shadetree
Scandi BC or BC Jr
KPH in Carbon fiber, Emerald, evergreen, or navy Shadetree
Patch, 3/32 A2 black bolstered evergreen
Toboggan, 3/32 A2 TT black bolstered evergreen or navy shadetree.

Last edited:
Rare wood scales such as bog oak. I like walnut and Curley oak too. I'm always looking to jade G10. Right now I'm looking for the perfect Camp knife

Stainless currently, and synthetic handles are my preferences. I also prefer thinner stock.

Though I don't really have a knife budget right now, I'm keeping my eyes out for a 1/8 or 3/32 stainless F2 with a nice synthetic handle. I really like some of the more neutral burlap colors, like the evergreen, and greybeard. If/when I find an F2 like that I'll buy it immediately, I'll snag a few hundred from my emergency fund if I have to!

In the mean time, when I do actually have some "knife money", I'll be looking for a custom shop hiking buddy or I'll snag a production one if it comes to it!

I ground some SS last week. I happen to know there wer two F2's in the batch.

Thanks, Andy, for your reply. I understand. And just to be clear, my 3/16" Camp Nessmuk is my very favorite Fiddleback. My wife's too. After seeing the work it can do in the kitchen on meat and uncooked chicken, she said, "Don't ever sell that one!" I also bought it on the day my father would have turned 100, and he made the knife I carried all through Boy Scouts. I feel very fortunate to have acquired this knife whose 5 1/3" handle extends all the way to the edge of my palm, particularly after learning that a Camp Muk with a handle that long is rare. I use it as a chopper when going after ivy vines infesting the woods around here. As for backpacking, it's definitely going some places with me this year.

Glad to hear that! Thats exactly what that knife was designed for.

My list: Bushcrafter(s), KPH, Padre, Snubnose, Toothpick, Toboggan, Bishop, 2FJ, belt knife

Desired Configs
Thin stock A2 (1/8 or less). Black pins. Black bolsters. Slate, Cornflower or OD G10. Emerald, Evergreen, Shamrock, Navy, Philellow, Tangerine, Starry Night, or Oreo Shadetree. TT. Lime over black.

Specific Knives:
Bushcrafter. Box Elder Burl. Lime over black, TT
Bushcrafter or Jr. – Black bolster - Osage orange, Starry Night, Philellow or Shamrock Shadetree, Cornflower blue
Scandi BC or BC Jr
KPH in Carbon fiber, Emerald, Evergreen, or Oreo Shadetree
Patch, 3/32 A2 black bolstered evergreen or navy shadetree.
Toboggan, thin A2 TT black bolstered evergreen or navy shadetree.
Handyman, 3/32 SFT or 1/8 TT A2 black bolstered + shadetree

Allen is determined to make me do maore Bishops.

Stainless custom knives!! If I gift somebody a knife who is not a knife person I know they will most certainly not take the level of care required for 01 or A2. I was forced to buy other knives for Xmas presents as I wanted something special & not just a plain Jane production knife.
Would have loved to have gifted FB's.
Maybe this year [emoji318]

Last edited:
Stainless custom knives!! If I gift somebody a knife who is not a knife person I know they will most certainly not take the level of care required for 01 or A2. I was forced to buy other knives for Xmas presents as I wanted something special & not just a plain Jane production knife.
Would have loved to have gifted FB's.
Maybe this year [emoji318]

You have my address ;)

Back