what grade of foil?

Guy's I just found out that I have a fastenal store 5 minutes from my house and I see that they offer grade 304, 321 &309 SSfoil. What is recommended for heat treating foil?? BTW it is all 12"X.002"X50'. Thanks alot...louis

I used 321 for some time and never had a problem with it to 1950 degrees. Since I am now doing lots of heat treat for others, I use the 309 - just because I should use the best on other peoples blades. I still use the 321 on my own - including this one which is shown right out of the plate quench with no cleaning up at all. (re-posted from an earlier thread)

foiltreat.jpg

I think I read somewhere you were heat treating in a forge. In that environment, I think I'd want the good stuff - at least!

thats the scale build up hahah sorta thats all the dirtyer blades get when you plate quench and have a good foil pack
betting no little bit of paper in ther to "burn off the oxagen"
i have not used paper in my foil for a while

Thanks Rob,,Why is the edge of the blade blue??

The edge heats up first because it is thin. The paper in the envelope does eat up the oxygen - but paper burns at F 451 degrees - and that's pretty close to oxide forming temperatures. We've been experimenting with the idea of something having a lower flash point than paper. That blue on the edge just came off with the buffer (green compound). No sandpaper touched the blade after heat treat - for a nice mirror polish.

We haven't got it perfect yet - but we've come a long way from blades that ranged between dark grey and indigo rainbows. I haven't seen better out of anything short of a vacuum furnace.

Rob!

Louis; Don't buy any I have a whole roll over here. The next time you come over remind me to give you some.:D ;)

Back