What handle?

I'm too lazy to post pics right now, but I have a really nice C Hammond hewing head that I want to hang. It weighs 3.75lb, is 8-1/8" long and has a 6-1/2" edge. What type and how long a handle would be appropriate?

Something like this.

1.JPG

Sometimes those numbers correspond to the blade width but sometimes just the model number. I see straight handles with a wider zone where the hand is on older handles. I would guess about 14-18" on that one.

It looks like House Handle has nothing for this. They have a broadaxe handle, but it's 3' long. It looks like the only possibility would be the faller's axe handle, which has the right eye size and is 20". It would work but would not be the ideal shape. House handles come fat so some reshaping may be possible. Another option that I would be more likely to do would be to re-purpose and shorten a regular full sized axe handle that I already have. My third option would be to make my own. I have not made this type before so would be good to try but I was hoping for a faster option. It is ultimately what I will attempt though. I think.

Does it have an unusual eye size jb? I'd probably just get a straight handle for a full size axe and then rework it to get something close to what Square_peg showed (although that does kinda look like a regular curved handle with the end cut off). The pic could just be fooling my eyes, but the head looks kinda tweaked. Is there something about these kinds of heads I don't know about (probably!)? I have ordered their broad axe handle before and I think they come long so that you can just cut it to whatever length, but since this thing has double bevels .... ???? Maybe it's meant to be flipped around for working left and right handed?

Some of my broad hatchets. They mostly have straight 14-16 inch handles that were on them when I bought them. One rehandle I did with an axe-eye hammer handle on the four inch Vaughn and Bushnell at the top. The rest are 5 inches. The one below the tape is an Atco by Amoskeag Axe Company. I see straight handles on some up to 8 or 9 inch bits, then they are mostly offset handles.
DSC08354.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

On some older two side bevel axes like yours I've seen straight handles that taper towards the butt end with the widest part under where the hand is. I have a couple at my cabin so I can't take a picture. I never see that type of handle for sale.

Does it have an unusual eye size jb? I'd probably just get a straight handle for a full size axe and then rework it to get something close to what Square_peg showed (although that does kinda look like a regular curved handle with the end cut off). The pic could just be fooling my eyes, but the head looks kinda tweaked. Is there something about these kinds of heads I don't know about (probably!)? I have ordered their broad axe handle before and I think they come long so that you can just cut it to whatever length, but since this thing has double bevels .... ???? Maybe it's meant to be flipped around for working left and right handed?

Here's the thing, it's a multi-purpose felling/hewing axe. A small masting axe. The upturned handle keeps you from barking your knuckles during hewing. No offset because it's a double bevel axe. The upturned handled makes it a super open hang which reduces it's usefulness in felling - but it can still do it since it's double bevelled. Trade offs to be multi-purpose.

But this axe will mostly be used for hewing so get your hands clear with the upturned handle.

Yes, like shoe sizes. In my 1891 A.G. Peck & Co axes and edge tool catalog they list double bevel broad hatchets like yours in sizes 1 thru 6. 4 1/2" cut thru 6 3/4" cut. The original handle for your broad hatchet is a shape that you will have to make yourself if that is what you want . It is straight and a 16 or 18" would be my choice. I can copy some old catalog pages and send them snail mail if you want.
The way I would use this fine old broad hatchet is the old world style of hewing. Across the pond they did it somewhat different than we did. About the time of An Ax To Grind I decided to compare our hewing style to theirs. With a large double bevel you have to hew with the plane of one of the bevels in the same plane as the surface of the face you want on the stick. This cocks the straight handle (no offset, no upturn) off to the side to clear your knuckles. Another advantage, because of the double bevels, is you can hew right or left handed without switching handles or having two axes. They used lighter weights- 3-5 lb heads and set the stick higher than us- not knee height but a little less than waist height worked well for me. Of course on this side of the pond we were working with much larger Dia. sticks that were difficult to elevate to waist height. Bottom line, I hewed a 14' x 16' log workshop old world style. It went well for me once I worked it all out. I would do it again, it was a lot eaiser on my old back. I used the GB double bevel 1900, 1800, and 1700 broad axes. I did not like the 1700, the 1900 worked good, but I really took to their 1800 model !

I am currently mulling this question over myself. I'm definitely making a helve for this broad(mast) axe; 15661714715472841019200430560601.jpg

15661715534425165148945641789816.jpg

The question is what shape!? I found this awhile back on Jim Bode's website and I really like the look of it. Definitely appears old! What do you guys think? Screenshot_20190818-192810_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190818-192815_Photos.jpg
To me it looks correct even though it's so different. I'm curious to see what your thoughts are if you don't mind chipping in! Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not going to pretend I know anything about this other than what I've seen online. But mostly they seem to want an open hang, either like as you have posted above or quite a pronounced belly. I'll be interested to hear what the experts say.

It looks like House Handle has nothing for this. They have a broadaxe handle, but it's 3' long. It looks like the only possibility would be the faller's axe handle, which has the right eye size and is 20". It would work but would not be the ideal shape. House handles come fat so some reshaping may be possible. Another option that I would be more likely to do would be to re-purpose and shorten a regular full sized axe handle that I already have. My third option would be to make my own. I have not made this type before so would be good to try but I was hoping for a faster option. It is ultimately what I will attempt though. I think.
Have you ever tried beavertooth handle company? They have a few broad axe options on their website. I have ordered from him in the past. He treated me very well.

Broadaxe handles are offset. A masting axe is double beveled and needs a straight haft preferably with an upturn.
I'm aware of the distinction. But thank you:D.
What I was hoping to find out was if you, or any of you, like the shape of that haft I pictured? Or think it would be comfortable and practical to use?
I just like the look of it but hadn't seen that style before with a backwards turn at the shoulder. I'll probably do it anyway to try it but wanted to pick everyone's brain a little first. :thumbsup:

It might be worth your time to look at the no longer active blog called Blue Oak and the entries on hewing. He gives some of the best information I have found on this style of axe use, you see work with these axes including staging and technique so a bit more comprehensive than just a look at handles.

I'm aware of the distinction. But thank you:D.
What I was hoping to find out was if you, or any of you, like the shape of that haft I pictured? Or think it would be comfortable and practical to use?
I just like the look of it but hadn't seen that style before with a backwards turn at the shoulder. I'll probably do it anyway to try it but wanted to pick everyone's brain a little first. :thumbsup:
I think it looks awesome and I think you should go for it!

Back