What happened to Bura?

kamagong

Gold Member
I read that the Old Man is no longer making khukuris. Is that true? If so that is a shame, he created some incredible blades with very limited resources.
I'm glad I was able to pick up some examples of his craft. I have the very first BirGorkha Tarwar that he made as well as one of the first two BGRSs sold. The Tarwar is unused, but I sharpened up the BGRS long ago and put it to work. I almost regret doing so now...almost. Although it is probably would have been collector's item now if I kept it mint, that first BGRS is a first rate tool and it would have been a waste if I had made it a safe queen.

He had a stroke. He is getting a lot better but he will not be making blades again, ever.

It is somewhere in here, the whole story but how to phrase the search is not my best suit.

Would you be so kind as to post up a nice, clear, big picture with some extra detail shots of his Tarwar?
I would be beholden to see it if this is possible...

I have a fair bit of Buras, I think he would rather you use the things... That was why he made them after all. :)

My Bura pieces are:

26" Chitlangi
Tarwar
20.25" Sirupati

Of them all, the Sirupati is my favorite. The old master made that one amazingly fast and agile.

warty,

I'll see what I can do. I have to dig the Tarwar out of storage.

I'd appreciate it. I have a Bura Villager Tarwar, it has finger grooves on the handle.
I have been debating whether or not to sand them down, they really don't fit me right.
I want to because the sword has such a nice feel and balance...

See, with Bura retired and all, it doesn't feel right to sand the handle down.
Then again, I know he s likely to want me to be able to use it so as long as I don't muck it up...
See, it is that last part that stops me every time I get ready to do it... decisions decisions...

Take a look on the HI website. It's the Tarwar that's pictured.

I'd appreciate it. I have a Bura Villager Tarwar, it has finger grooves on the handle.
I have been debating whether or not to sand them down, they really don't fit me right.
I want to because the sword has such a nice feel and balance...

See, with Bura retired and all, it doesn't feel right to sand the handle down.
Then again, I know he s likely to want me to be able to use it so as long as I don't muck it up...
See, it is that last part that stops me every time I get ready to do it... decisions decisions...

I think you should sand it, sanding it makes it accesable to all people (like me :D). I am 100% sure Bura would want you to sand it, if in doubt, ask the fella cause he's still kicking :)

If you want to retain some grooves, leave the index finger groove, and just sand the rest. That way it is comfortable.

I'm with Cotherion on this one, warty. While it's understandable to want to preserve the kukris as they were made, I think honoring the kamis involves getting use out of the tools they make! Bura is a great kami and made fine blades, but he isn't telepathic - the handles might work perfectly for some, but it's impossible to make anything that's ergonomic for every size and shape of hand ;). Modify it to work for you then and put it to use - that's what I've done with all my kukris :thumbup:

My Bura blades include:

12'' Pen Knife
2 Uddhas (one heavy, one light)
A Tarwar
& last , but not least, a mini Tarwar.

I have given a couple more of his to worthy friends & have sold a couple to worthy friends. Master Bura's are special pieces, as anybody who has one knows.
Peace and happiness to him and his family :)

Basically..... Kami Bura has had one stroke awhile ago and a smaller one more recently. This last one left him with some weakness in his left side, slurred speech and memory loss, IIRC. He now has complications from those and from many years of pounding steel over a coal forge. He gets sick more frequently than before and it makes him unable to return to work.
As a longtime and faithful kami, Auntie will continue to support him and hopefully he can still work for H.I. in some capacity. Whatever happens... He will always be OUR "Royal Kami."

In any Case, I urge you all to continue to pray and send much smoke his way.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749547&highlight=bura
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730318&highlight=bura
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730178&highlight=bura
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723854&highlight=bura

Actually Cotherion has mentioned something I was considering already, sanding all but the top one off. This leaves one to sort of honor the way he made it and it makes it usable for me, and my heirs. I am with all of you, as I mentioned already, all of the kamis make these blades to be used and the best way to honor them is to use them. So what I plan on doing is to remove them one at a time, slowly and a bit at a time once they get close. This way I hopefully won't make a mess of it. I wold hate to be kicking myself for the rest of time because of my inability to use sand paper correctly. LOL!

I think, though need o check for sure, that I have four Buras, the Villager Tarwar, a Ganga Ram, a Gool knife and the original Hauswher.

Here's a Bura Tarwar:

100_0068.jpg

100_0071.jpg

Most of mine ended up being Bura blades, including the CAK that started the obsession for me.

As for modifying them or using them, these guys make tools for the working man. Sure their ones for import to the States are highly polished (for the most part), but they are still working tools, I think they'd rather you use them than not.

Modifying. . .it's up to you, but remember Bura is from Nepal, not Japan, he's not going to hunt you down and murder you or commit hara kiri is you sand his handle down.

Giant Chitlangi Bowie and where do you think you can get one? LOL

Send Yangdu an email himimp@aol.com

Thanks Cpl, as I said I have a Bura Tarwar of my own.
Was more interested in seeing his first one, I guess I will see the tiny picture on the website and be happy.

Here is mine:
bottom one with finger grooved handle
main.php

Last edited:
The choice between a Tarwar and a Giant Chitlangi Bowie is maddeningly difficult.

I think you should sand it, sanding it makes it accesable to all people (like me :D). I am 100% sure Bura would want you to sand it, if in doubt, ask the fella cause he's still kicking :)

If you want to retain some grooves, leave the index finger groove, and just sand the rest. That way it is comfortable.

I agree too. I did exactly the same thing on my Bura Katana. The finger grooves just didn't fit my hands. It allowed me to flex my genetic woodchuckery DNA that Walosi passed down to me and now it is perfect for me :D!

I'm so glad to hear that the woodchuckery was passed on to you. Now, was the wit passed on too?

Seriously, your dad passed on so much info through his archived posts that opened my inexperienced eyes. It is rare that you can be exposed to that much knowledge and experience for the cost of the time it takes to read.

How's Mouse gettin' along these days?

Back