What happened to Case?

I have bought 3 Case knives, and all of them have been pretty bad coming from a company that prides itself on excellence and USA made quality.

The first one I got was a yellow delrin CV Trapper. The blades came completely unsharpened. I mean like no edge whatsoever. The blades were also rubbing the liners, though the rest of the knife was fine.

Second, a Large Stockman in amber peach seed jigged bone. The springs and liners all have massive gaps, all three blades rub against each other, and the main clip-point blade is bent at an astounding angle, not to mention the blade play on this blade.

Third, I got another trapper, this time saw cut bone with SS. This one has an amazingly uneven grind and came out of the box with a wicked burr on the blade. The blades all rub the liners, and half of the back springs have big gaps in the space between them and the liners.

My question is: what happened to case? All three of my knives I've gotten from them have worse fit and finish than any other knife I've bought, most notably current production Old Timer's. My dad has always carried a Case medium stockman and has always said that you can find no better knife than a Case, but I'm really starting to doubt that. I know I could send them in for warranty work, but the turnaround time as stated by Case is 6-8 weeks, and it may be even more than that now with COVID-19 going on.

I've looked at quite a few Case knives in the stores around here that have them in stock. I've found the same to be true of *almost* all of them, at least to some degree.

I have also seen quite a few posts on here that say Case quality has improved recently. That may be true, as it's been a couple years since I've frequented those shops. But I'm still quite hesitant to order anything from them sight unseen, based on my personal experiences.

Having said that... I see almost all rave, glowing reviews on here about every GEC knife that has ever been purchased (slight exaggeration)... no gaps, flush at all positions, centered blades, great grinds, etc... My own experiences with my GECs have also not been like those. While the overall quality is quite good on the ones I've bought (8), all but one has had gaps in the liners, only a couple have had perfectly centered blades, none are flush at all positions, and one looked like it missed the sharpening stage completely on the main blade.

My own opinion is these things are meant to be used (note, I do still have two I haven't used yet), and once I've put any in my pocket (GEC, Case, Buck) those little things don't matter much. It's getting past the initial disappointment of something not so perfect as I've come to think I might get.

*Edit to add, the last Case Peanut I bought, I only bought because it was just about impeccable (to me, of course). Tight, centered, sharp, pretty... I'd put it up against any GEC I've seen in build quality. So... they are out there, you just have to find them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mostly like to have a knife to use. I was raised to buy American when I could, and I want to support some of these companies, but I've just been left with a sour taste in my mouth. My large stockman wouldn't be a deal breaker, but every time I use it, I feel the blades rubbing and it's one of those minor annoyances that just hits me a specific way.

Did you but them on line or from a shop?

If they really are all three that poor then you HAVE to return them either for fixing or replacing.

The Master blade on the Stockman will be a Clip and it is not bent as such but 'krinked' in order for it to nest inside the well of the knife.

If it were me and I'd received 3 out of 3 duds I'd question the integrity of the seller but whatever I would certainly return them. My own experiences with CASE have nearly all been very positive, and I live in Europe not the US. Once I had to return a knife at my expense and they returned the old knife and a brand new 100% OK replacement as well, I cannot say I've had better service. Certainly not from GEC or Bark River anyway.

What happened to Case?
They became a "side line" for/of Zippo lighters a few years ago?
(From what I've read here on BF, the average quality has improved since they were bought by Zippo.)

I have a few post 2000 manufacture Case knives. I'd put them as at least equal in quality and fit/finish as my two GEC's, or several Rough Ryder, Marbles, and recent production Schrade/Old Timer.

Sorry to hear you got a couple lemons that slipped out. :(

(Yes one of my GEC's a bolster is a hair sunk from the cover. They also have as many gotta search for them hairfine gaps as the others.
All cosmetics, in my opinion, that don't affect functionality. Therefore, not a big deal or worth losing sleep or stressing about.
Nothing made by man is "perfect", after all. :) )

Last edited:
I have at least 8 Case knives at present, mostly recent production (last three years). No real problems with them. Some blade rub on the medium stockman (which I think is common), but no rubbing of blades against the liners, and the blade edges are unaffected. I know there are lemons. The knives are mass produced, and some get by quality control that shouldn't. But I am happy with mine, and plan to buy more.

Stockman are the primary focus of my acquisitions. Out of 200+ of them I have (including GEC) one and only one doesn't have blade rub, it is my Case Bose collaboration premium stockman. It is inherent in the pattern, you either have to love the pattern and live with it or pick a different pattern.

I think some people are magnets for bad knives...
I'm that way with Rough Ryder Knives. People claim they are well built, but I keep getting some complete duds.
Of the Case knives I've bought, your best bet is to buy examples from the 70's. Otherwise, buy very very recent productions.
Case definitely went through a bad patch and many of those knives are still on shelves. You get one of those and it isn't going to be pretty.

Its been ages since ive bought any case knives, but they did make single blade slim trapper that I did liked the look of. At some point I must have accumulated 3 or 4 of em just as a study. They also made a beefier larger clip single blade trapper that did pass by my stash. However as always, I have never appreciated Case's take on blade to handle ratio. Since they choose a mcd's hamburger approach to knife production, I have let them go.

Its been ages since ive bought any case knives, but they did make single blade slim trapper that I did liked the look of. At some point I must have accumulated 3 or 4 of em just as a study. They also made a beefier larger clip single blade trapper that did pass by my stash. However as always, I have never appreciated Case's take on blade to handle ratio. Since they choose a mcd's hamburger approach to knife production, I have let them go.
Oh, man, the Case trapper has a PERFECT blade to handle ratio. For both blades. Totally awesome!

Wait ... Wait ... I'm confused now ... (not out of the "ordinary" according to a former employer ...)
I thought the length of a standard 2 blade Case Trapper is 4 1/8 inch/4.125 inch closed, with 3 1/4 inch/3.25 inch blades. (give or take whatever the manufacturing tolerances are), same as "everyone else".
Did/does Case skimp on the blade length?

Oh, man, the Case trapper has a PERFECT blade to handle ratio. For both blades. Totally awesome!

are we talking about current or more vintage case? Because I have only held the modern slim trapper and another older full clip single blade trapper.

are we talking about current or more vintage case? Because I have only held the modern slim trapper and another older full clip single blade trapper.
I don't have single blade trappers. Just a couple of regular trappers. I think one is 2017 and one is 2018. But the Case trapper has not changed much in a while.

I don't have single blade trappers. Just a couple of regular trappers. I think one is 2017 and one is 2018. But the Case trapper has not changed much in a while.

ive been digging thru the history and the google machine for a picture of what I had, will be back soon

ive been digging thru the history and the google machine for a picture of what I had, will be back soon
These are mine:
EkTlFv3.jpg

v3X8vUs.jpg

I have bought 3 Case knives, and all of them have been pretty bad coming from a company that prides itself on excellence and USA made quality.

The first one I got was a yellow delrin CV Trapper. The blades came completely unsharpened. I mean like no edge whatsoever. The blades were also rubbing the liners, though the rest of the knife was fine.

Second, a Large Stockman in amber peach seed jigged bone. The springs and liners all have massive gaps, all three blades rub against each other, and the main clip-point blade is bent at an astounding angle, not to mention the blade play on this blade.

Third, I got another trapper, this time saw cut bone with SS. This one has an amazingly uneven grind and came out of the box with a wicked burr on the blade. The blades all rub the liners, and half of the back springs have big gaps in the space between them and the liners.

My question is: what happened to case? All three of my knives I've gotten from them have worse fit and finish than any other knife I've bought, most notably current production Old Timer's. My dad has always carried a Case medium stockman and has always said that you can find no better knife than a Case, but I'm really starting to doubt that. I know I could send them in for warranty work, but the turnaround time as stated by Case is 6-8 weeks, and it may be even more than that now with COVID-19 going on.

Could you please post pictures of these knives for us to see?

I have around 120 late model Case's. Every now and then, I get a stinker and wind up re-selling it at a loss as I describe the faults. In my experience, recent Case quality is outstanding. I feel bad for the OP ... that kind of luck would sour anybody. I'm like that with RR knives ... so many people love them - I bought 2 and they were really awful fit and finish - I mean atrocious. I never thought I'd return a $10 knife, but I had to. So, I feel for the OP - my only advice is don't buy sight unseen - look at pictures of the knives (assuming he's using eBay) and try to pick up any obvious flaws before you buy...

Back