What happened to Case?

Well I just threw all of my Case knives away,except the one that belonged to my uncle. :(
Some were gifts from people I hold very dear and I cherished those knives,but I bit the bullet and tossed them. I couldn't even bear the thought of someone else ending up with them so into the river they went:(:(:(
What’s the name of this river and where is the spot located? Asking for a friend

I can't tell, someone may dredge them up, I cant let such bad knives fall into someone else's hands. Here I thought I had nice fine cutlery,good honest knives I wasn't ashamed to carry and show off. I had no idea what an embarrassment I was being showing people my Case knives, all the times people seen them and thought "that poor misguided fool":( Now that I'm looking I see what people mean about GEC's sunken pins.....its ghastly....looks like another trip to the river....

Emotional / Sentimental / Identity - if someone likes knives, and looks at a Case, they may not have any factors involved other than the knife itself. But if someone has "I'm a Case knife fan/collector" as part of their personal identity, there's a lot more at stake than just the knife in their hand. Any criticism of Case is now received as a personal attack, not just a discussion about a knife. (This is hardly unique to Case - it happens with any brand that inspires this kind of emotional connection.)

The recent posts are what I was talking about in this quote from my first post. The fact that some of us have been disappointed by Case isn't actually an attack on any of you Case fans. I'm glad you enjoy them! It's a hobby, and if collecting Case knives makes you happy, keep at it!

-Tyson

Well I just threw all of my Case knives away,except the one that belonged to my uncle. :(
Some were gifts from people I hold very dear and I cherished those knives,but I bit the bullet and tossed them. I couldn't even bear the thought of someone else ending up with them so into the river they went:(:(:(
I thought you were serious...
I thought, why in God's name would you do that???

GEC definitely isn't immune to this.
I have to agree with you here, I've only owned 3 gec knives, and they definitely leave a bit to be desired in the way of a factory edge. I don't mind putting a little work into a knife, but at the price they bring I'd like to see at least a shaving edge out of the box.

The recent posts are what I was talking about in this quote from my first post. The fact that some of us have been disappointed by Case isn't actually an attack on any of you Case fans. I'm glad you enjoy them! It's a hobby, and if collecting Case knives makes you happy, keep at it!

-Tyson
I know, I have an odd way of trying to lighten up the thread. And discussions and voicing of opinions is what a public forum is all about. Some people view Case as expensive others view them as cheap, who is right? Well they both are, as Obi Wan Kenobi says "from a certain point of view" As I posted earlier some of my Case's exhibits blade rub, which given the patterns I don't see as a flaw. Someone else may feel that is unacceptable. So which of us is right? I am of course :p
Nah again we're both right,for ourselves :thumbsup:

I have to agree with you here, I've only owned 3 gec knives, and they definitely leave a bit to be desired in the way of a factory edge. I don't mind putting a little work into a knife, but at the price they bring I'd like to see at least a shaving edge out of the box.
I agree several of mine wasn't "my kinda sharp" especially the last 1/4 inch near the tip. Maybe veering from the topic but, for from the box sharpness nobody beats Buck. Imho:thumbsup:

I'd like to add that I truly enjoy the case knives I own, and have owned. One went down the road in a GAW I hosted a while back. I still have the other 2, a mini trapper in yellow delrin that's about perfect in my eyes other than a small crack in the delrin (And that's something I don't really even notice), and a slab side hunter that was given to me by a very dear friend when I was 17, it was and still is my deer knife. 16038470174661980009540.jpg

I can't tell, someone may dredge them up, I cant let such bad knives fall into someone else's hands. Here I thought I had nice fine cutlery,good honest knives I wasn't ashamed to carry and show off. I had no idea what an embarrassment I was being showing people my Case knives, all the times people seen them and thought "that poor misguided fool":( Now that I'm looking I see what people mean about GEC's sunken pins.....its ghastly....looks like another trip to the river....
:D:D:D:D:D:D:thumbsup:;)

I'm not sure if I posted this one before because I lost it and just found it today, but it's a fine example.

This knife right here is evidence of how good of a job case can do, whoever is responsible for this one deserves a bonus.
I would give this a 99% on F&F.

Soon as I see the word 'drop' being used about anything it's usually a sign of a contrived frenzy being created & perpetuated ;) The real fuel behind most of it is the expectation to sell on at a vastly inflated price and quickly. The quicker the drop vanishes, the more it becomes wanted etc. :rolleyes:

Never bothered to count or 'catalogue' my knives it's a task that doesn't interest me, but I suspect I have more GEC knives than CASE. I like both of them as they have different styles, would not say GEC knives are always better made than CASE, in fact experience has shown me they are rather less durable, but they both have different characteristics or feel to them, which is good .

Price is a very unreliable diviner of quality, a costly knife should be better but this is not always the case and many Customs can have clear faults in finish etc. Making an analogy between CASE and Opinel is a little skewed in my view. Opinel is an old and rightly revered marque but it's a genius of simplicity: no liners, no spring, almost always wood handles, locking collar, usually same type of blade and set sizes, good carbon good stainless and like SAKs automated production and very reliable cutting prowess. CASE make huge numbers of patterns/sizes in an array of materials & handles that have springs liners etc etc. If you want to make an analogy lets pit GEC v Fontenille-Pataud French maker of Lags & other Traditional French patterns. Unfair you say:eek: F-P are more expensive! But ARE they? If you can't get the GEC you want after the 10 sec drop then you'll pay through the nose, often the knives are reserved before people even know what the scales will be, incomprehensible. Whereas you can choose an F-P select the scales, steel, finish you want and you'll have it delivered worldwide in a week or two, often sooner. They also have a properly organised warranty programme, I've been less than impressed with GEC on that front and very satisfied with CASE when I had to return a knife from Europe to America.

CASE make a superior Medium or Small Stockman to anything GEC has put out so far but that could change, not a bad thing either ;)
Good analysis!! I'll have to check out those F-P's.

People love to trash Case. Not sure why they buy more than one if they are so bad. Some even hand-select one, buy it and then tell us how bad it is...why buy it in the first place? I think some trash Case for sport. You know, a whipping boy to ease the troubles we had today.

I buy Case for me and as a US made knife gift. I buy at hardware stores, Cabelas, Basspro and the internet. I've never returned one due to quality. I did send back one knife, a Bose/Case, for repair; even though the cracked scale was my fault, they fixed it for free.

I can find a flaw in any knife, Case, GEC, Rough Rider, and each of my custom traditionals. Anything made by man will be flawed. Victorinox is the most flawless and the most mechanized production. Perfection is not a human attribute. Even Victorinox is flawed...cheap steel ;)

When I look at a face or a dog, sometimes it's the imperfections that make it desirable. Like the chick with the mole or cracked tooth :)

People love to trash Case. Not sure why they buy more than one if they are so bad. Some even hand-select one, buy it and then tell us how bad it is...why buy it in the first place? I think some trash Case for sport. You know, a whipping boy to ease the troubles we had today.

I buy Case for me and as a US made knife gift. I buy at hardware stores, Cabelas, Basspro and the internet. I've never returned one due to quality. I did send back one knife, a Bose/Case, for repair; even though the cracked scale was my fault, they fixed it for free.

I can find a flaw in any knife, Case, GEC, Rough Rider, and each of my custom traditionals. Anything made by man will be flawed. Victorinox is the most flawless and the most mechanized production. Perfection is not a human attribute. Even Victorinox is flawed...cheap steel ;)

When I look at a face or a dog, sometimes it's the imperfections that make it desirable. Like the chick with the mole or cracked tooth :)
The cracked tooth tho?? :thumbsup::D

I understand and agree with those sentiments.
The problem I see is that the company you are buying from does not build to that level consistently. And, I don't think they claim to...
They make a goodly number of knives that are borderline flawless, but for the most part, they are less than that... which reflects in the price point at which they sell.
It would be similar to buying a Chevy Malibu, expecting it to be as "nice" a vehicle as a top of the line Lexus. I would not expect that... and if that level of fit/finish/performance was what I insisted on, I would not look for it at the Chevy dealer.

Definitely a good point. In my particular situation with a Bose collab knife, if Chevy (Case) was advertising a model with top of the line Lexus build quality and pricing it as such, it better not come with scratched rims and a misfire right off the showroom floor. And if it did, they shouldn't tell you that's how it's supposed to be.

That being said, I don't put fruit in my beer and I don't buy knives with pink and purple sparkly acrylic...so Case hasn't been making anything I'd buy anyway. I'll spend a little more and get a GEC...

J JD Bear Your experience with the Collab is more than disappointing and they are expensive. I don't recall seeing any pictures of it, could you remind us please?

Regards, Will

J JD Bear Your experience with the Collab is more than disappointing and they are expensive. I don't recall seeing any pictures of it, could you remind us please?

Regards, Will

I never took any. I'll post some for you guys. It might not be until the weekend though since the kids and I have pumpkin carving to do and stuff like that. My 6 year old and I are in the middle of a yard inflatable situation and we need to figure that out before Saturday...

That being said, I don't put fruit in my beer and I don't buy knives with pink and purple sparkly acrylic...so Case hasn't been making anything I'd buy anyway. I'll spend a little more and get a GEC...

Well... you obviously need to get in touch with your feminine side. I suggest getting several pairs (different pastel colors) of skinny jeans. if you still have hair, you should immediately let it grow out enough to rock a man bun.
A "man bag" is sort of optional... it depends on the situation.
Throw out all your beer.... white wine is the drink of choice now. Apple-tini's are allowed during the afternoon social gathering (do NOT call it 'happy hour')

Once you've stepped into this role, the pink and purple sparkle knives will fit you perfectly....:cool:

seriously though... I didn't know you had trouble with a collab knife. I would expect perfection from one of those, as well, at the price point they demand.

I wish Case would offer more single blade Dogleg Jacks (Mini Trappers) with different blade choices and cover materials.
They do (or did) offer them in a Wharncliffe, and once in a while you can find a single Clip Point, but they are getting so hard to find.

Back