What happens in a real knife fight....

I RECOMMEND THAT PEOPLE THINK TWICE, BEFORE VIEWING SUCH PICTURES ON MY SITE. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS CONCEPT IN ANYWAY AND I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE COMES OF IT.
I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT BALLISTIC WOUNDS. I DO NOT NEED MY PEOPLE TO HAVE AN IMAGE OF DAMAGE IN THEIR MIND. ONE SHOULD ALWAYS FIGHT UNTIL THEY CAN'T, TO BELABOR OVER YOUR OWN DAMAGE WHILE IN THE FIGHT IS TO SAY THE LEAST COUNTERPRODUCTIVE!

I agree with CJ's Comments!
If you think your dead or dwell on death, your half way there!
Survival should be the only thing on your mind, aftermath is useless. As long as you fight. My Uncle was in Vietnam and he saw heavy action, getting hit by shrapnel and losing an arm. He said the best advice he ever got was "don't look at it" "Keep you eyes on your enemy." This applies here!

All,

As this forum, while public per se, is ultimately centered around its namesake's training concepts and experience, I support CJ's remarks regarding the value of the link to the pictures.

Furthermore, while I can lock or edit Det's post, I will instead forward the existence of it to the Super-Moderators here at BladeForums for their review.

I have seen this post in Strider Forum also. It seems to be in a lot of places.
I agree with you all, why veiw it? Why post it?
I train to avoid this situation, I train to survive.

I agree with the moderators on the counter-productivity of the photos and think that the one thing that the fighter's needed to remember is that despite what you see in the movies, no one walks away from a knife fight uncut.

Originally posted by strider4112
...I agree with you all, why veiw it? Why post it?...

While the bulk of the comments regarding the photos did refer to their lurid nature, to view them is not necessarily to dwell on the possible consequences to one's self. My sharpest impression was of the superficial nature of the throat wounds. One might expect a cut there to be fatal, but either the knife was not sharp enough, or insufficient force was applied to penetrate all of the skin layers and reach the carotid artery. I think this is an important lesson. The human skin is more resilient than one might think, especially on large, relatively flat areas where cutting force is spread over a couple inches of blade edge. The message to me was to keep my weapons sharp, and cut with deliberateness, don't just slash wildly.

I would take exception to the title subject line though. The photographs show many cuts, primarily on the backs of both parties, indicating a fight in grappling range that went on for some seconds. These two were not trained fighters, so I am not sure I would call this a "real knife fight".

CJ,
I edited the first post due to your request. I agree with your comments but did not think of it that way when I posted. Rather, I wanted to show what a non-trained person can inflict with a knife. I think that there are things that can be learned from the aftermath, but I also understand your point. Sorry to put those pics up on your forum without your permission.

Andy,
The super-moderators have not contacted me, but I have edited the post. It is usually more productive to send an e-mail to the guy that made the post first, then go to a moderator if the results are not favorable.

Steve,
I agree with what you said about a "real knife fight." What I meant by the term "real" is what is likely to happen (two untrained people fighting). I would think that it would be rare for trained knife fighters to get into a knife fight.

No worries Det...all is well.

PS..I do moderate this forum, but wanted to get the opinions of my colleagues. Didn't mean to sound melodramatic earlier...just wanted to avoid a potentially larger issue.

No problem Andy. I didn't post this to make waves in this forum (I also did not realize it was already posted in P/T). Since this forum belongs to CJ, I will respect his wishes when he says he does not want it on his forum.

I just read the all the replys and I guess the link to the photos has been removed. I find it odd that photos were objectionable to people who are trained, training or interested in using knives as weapons. I am a 15 year Firefighter and through a strange twist of Department mergers I am now moving into a position where I will be doing law enforcement. I am training with firearms and I am interested in training to defend against and use a knife as a weopon. I would find those photos interesting and educational. Having seen the human body mangled, sliced, smashed, grinded, etc. in every possible way, I know it is disturbing but often educational. This is my first day on this site and I just thought it was curious to see a sensitivity to photos I assume showed trauma to the body. Anyway, I was impressed by the extensive intelligent discourse and ideas. And, I guess I have to admit I don't like seeing it unless I am getting paid!

It wasn't really a sensitivity to the pictures, I don't think, so much as the moderators feeling that it might scare the readers so much that they wouldn't be able to defend themselves. No, it doesn't make any sense to me either.

In a certain, other, smaller knife related board, these photos were well received. We must keep in mind that BFC has a larger audiance including people who are just here to collect knives, or just here to manipulate Balisongs, and not everyone who could have stumbled into this thread is someone who's training to defend their life with a blade. If that picture is their first exposure to bladed self defense, it might freak them out.

Back