What I'm working on

Huntsman Knife Co.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I figured I should keep you guys updated on some of the blades I am working on and just generally give you an idea of what is going on in the shop.

So here's what I've been up to :thumbup:

Been making lots of Machetes and Bolos and have a few Fjord hikers I'm completing. Have some Parangs and my first breaching hawk that Ill be finishing up this weekend.
FullSizeRender208_zpsdftmo99n.jpg

Also I have the big CNC machete run that will be ready this this spring. There will be tons of variations and blade shapes. A little something for everyone. They will be made from the new Nitro-V AEBL, 52100, and as long as I can get the stock size thin enough S7. May do a couple in 3V just to try it.

This CNC handle will also be used on the Liberator Bolo which will be getting a new run this spring as well. The new ones will be 52100 and 3V and hopefully Nitro-V AEBL if they have it in stock. This design has really grown on me and I'd like to get more of these out there.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-14%20at%204.12.58%20PM_zpsk8wbyjha.png

Hunter, any idea what the Liberator in 3V would cost? - with a sheath.

Hunter, any idea what the Liberator in 3V would cost? - with a sheath.

They will be about ~$450 or so. Its going to be one massive chunk of 3V. I think its hard to get an idea of the size and weight of these things from the pictures alone but they are really more short sword than knife. I hope yours is still going strong.

Well you can put me down for a pre-order, Liberator in 3V. The one I have in 52100 is still the best chopper I've had; 3V would just make it better.

Well you can put me down for a pre-order, Liberator in 3V. The one I have in 52100 is still the best chopper I've had; 3V would just make it better.

Sounds good I'll go ahead and reserve a 3V blank for you. These will be ready some time in may.

New Bowie design that will be cut for the spring run. It will have the same CNC handle that is featured on the fell beast machetes and liberator Bolo.
Its a big, heavy chopper that should be a monster on hardwoods. 13.5 inch blade that reaches slightly over 2.5 inches at the widest point. I put some extra belly on the blade for increased forward weight and chopping power. Steel will be 52100 and 3V. Looking at .250- stock with a full flat grind and skeleton tang for weight reduction.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-19%20at%204.13.26%20PM_zpsbopnkfeu.png

And next to the Kukri design I'm still ironing out. Its gonna be one monster bowie.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-19%20at%204.39.21%20PM_zpsyjplrphc.png

Last edited:
I love that design. Can you show a CAD of it next to the Liberator, as they're a similar size? You're coming up with some awesome ideas this year.

Thanks Hunter. That thing is a beast :eek:

Its probably pushing the outer limits of practicality for a bowie but it will be alot of fun to use and I think the design looks pretty badass. :thumbup:

A more traditional and practical 10in bowie may be in the works down the road but right now the monster choppers are just calling my name.

Also, fwiw, on the kukri, I love the shape, I would just straighten it out a bit to reduce the recurve a bit (for ease of sharpening), and also to give the blade some nice general capabilities (instead of just being a hard hitting chopper with that really significant drop).

I like that kukri just the way it is! Are you making that, and if so, any specs (steel and thickness). If it does not weight too much it looks like a winner!

I like that kukri just the way it is! Are you making that, and if so, any specs (steel and thickness). If it does not weight too much it looks like a winner!

Also, fwiw, on the kukri, I love the shape, I would just straighten it out a bit to reduce the recurve a bit (for ease of sharpening), and also to give the blade some nice general capabilities (instead of just being a hard hitting chopper with that really significant drop).

I haven't finalized the Kukri design or specs yet. Its a design that I will need to do some pretty serious testing with before I make a run. With that said, I will be cutting out 2-3 of these for the spring run in pretty much the current iteration. Ill probably keep one for testing and finish the other 2 for customers. Steel will be 3/8th 80CRV2 for the test models. 80CRV2 is a solid performer and its inexpensive and easy for me to grind. Once the design is tested and 100% finalized Ill make them from CPM 3V and or L6

They're going to be a handful in 3/8s. I have a similar sized one in 5/16ths S7. Incredible heavy duty chopper, but a handful for anything else. That's not bad or good...just depends on what you want.

For a while I was very much so into the 5/16-3/8", 13+" blades, but I've dialed it back a bit. I find those thicknesses ok if there is distal taper, but otherwise they get very heavy quick for anything but heavy chopping, and with the link and width you are already getting heavily increased chopping power. I prefer now to then leave them a little more balanced so they can be used for limbing and other things with more ease.

I like the idea of L6...that's my favorite. Have a few large choppers in it (13" plus), and really love the way it works.

They're going to be a handful in 3/8s. I have a similar sized one in 5/16ths S7. Incredible heavy duty chopper, but a handful for anything else. That's not bad or good...just depends on what you want.

For a while I was very much so into the 5/16-3/8", 13+" blades, but I've dialed it back a bit. I find those thicknesses ok if there is distal taper, but otherwise they get very heavy quick for anything but heavy chopping, and with the link and width you are already getting heavily increased chopping power. I prefer now to then leave them a little more balanced so they can be used for limbing and other things with more ease.

I like the idea of L6...that's my favorite. Have a few large choppers in it (13" plus), and really love the way it works.

I'm almost certain I'll surface grind down the stock after I get a general feel for the weight of the blank. I'm guessing it will end up in the .300 range. Unfortunately there's not a lot of stock out there in that size so I have to start big and work down. 3/8th steel is really overkill for anything but an axe or hawk. My breaching Hawk blanks weight over 3 lbs before the tapering process :eek:

No matter where the stock thickness ends up I'm going to make sure that the Kukri is a functional and versatile blade that is more than just a sledge hammer with an edge that we see all too often in the knife world. My blades are all heavily Americanized but I always try to stay true to the spirit of the blade shape. The Nepalese have spent hundreds of years refining the Kukri and I hope to make one that honors those countless years of trial and error.

I'm also always open to making versions with different stock sizes. As long as the handle and blade shape stay the same changing stock thickness is usually no problem at all. I could make a heavy hitter version and a lighter snappier version from something closer to the .250 range

As always i really appreciate your feedback and input:thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi Hunter,

Sounds like you're thinking it out really well, and if I came off as a know it all or criticizing I'm sorry. I was in a hurry so my tone may have been off...just trying to share some experiences.

I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with both the big bowie and the kukri though. I am a huge fan of both shapes.

And thank you for dialoguing and sharing your design thoughts.

Hi Hunter,

Sounds like you're thinking it out really well, and if I came off as a know it all or criticizing I'm sorry. I was in a hurry so my tone may have been off...just trying to share some experiences.

I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with both the big bowie and the kukri though. I am a huge fan of both shapes.

And thank you for dialoguing and sharing your design thoughts.

Didn't take it as criticism at all! You have a lot of experience with big blades and your input and feedback has helped me a lot with my designs and ideas about edge geometry and grind thickness. All feedback from you including criticism is always welcome here. My customers are the driving force behind my designs and decision making and without input great customers like yourself I wouldn't be able to grow as a maker or improve my work.

Back