~

Status
Not open for further replies.
I start wondering if a knife doesn't sell almost immediately or overnight.

- market your work in a lot of places... here, social media, knife dealers

- go by your full name. I think this is very important.

- keep at it! Your work looks stellar, you just need to build a name and following. 90% of my sales are repeat sales.

- it is really exciting to get a new knife, I will spend all evening looking at every detail. Make sure every bit is as good as you can get it.

zxcvbjhngkbcvxcfbjbcx zxcvbjhngkbcvxcfbjbcx
I just found this thread...people here are giving GOOD advice to why your knives may not be selling quickly here on BF.
Not sure why you are getting bent out of shape. Personally I will pass on 5160 all day long...there are better steels out there, and for the same as your pricepoint.
To answer your actual question: The best amount of time to leave up a sales post is as long as you are willing to leave it there.
Also, what is your actual name? Its confusing me...

Good luck with your sales.

I think we are all done here. Best wishes to Gpa&Gma, and come back anytime. The guys here are generally knowledgeable. Sometimes a bit blunt, but usually well meaning.

As most everyone said, 5160 is not a "hot" steel lately. It is a good steel, just not popular among buyers right now. Switching to 8670, 9670, or one of the other closely related steels will possibly boost sales and selling time. Here is a good chart I put together for your to see:
upload_2020-7-6_11-34-13.png
http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=5160, 8670, 9260, 80CrV2&hrn=1&gm=0

He just asked simple question........................what is good amount of time to leave your work up for sale :oops:

He just asked simple question........................what is good amount of time to leave your work up for sale :oops:

I thought that everyone was very polite and respectful to him and offered him some good advice.

He didn t ask for advice about steel .............

Well I don't know much about making and selling knives, but I think that they thought that since he asked the question that it meant that his knives were not selling very well. So they offered advice to help him sell more knives. I could be wrong but that's what I think.
I'll admit that I would never pay several hundred dollars for leaf spring steel. But I didn't say anything because I didn't want to sound crude. There's just no reason to pay that much for steel that I had to google to remind myself what it is when better steels for better prices are all over the place nowadays. And 5160 isn't even listed in the "Budget" steels on the BladeHQ webpage for the best knife steel comparison page.
When I see a knife that I like, the first thing I do is see what the price is and what type of steel the blade is made out of. The handle material isn't as important to me as the blade steel.

Well I don't know much about making and selling knives, but I think that they thought that since he asked the question that it meant that his knives were not selling very well. So they offered advice to help him sell more knives. I could be wrong but that's what I think.
I'll admit that I would never pay several hundred dollars for leaf spring steel. But I didn't say anything because I didn't want to sound crude. There's just no reason to pay that much for steel that I had to google to remind myself what it is when better steels for better prices are all over the place nowadays. And 5160 isn't even listed in the "Budget" steels on the BladeHQ webpage for the best knife steel comparison page.
When I see a knife that I like, the first thing I do is see what the price is and what type of steel the blade is made out of. The handle material isn't as important to me as the blade steel.

I would want to know how it was heat treated as well. “Good enough” in a forge and used motor oil does not deserve $300+. Resisting advice to use more marketable steel (not necessarily better, no one even made that claim, though it could be made) reeks of limited interest in maximizing performance.

We gave plenty of reasons why his blades don’t sell in a reasonable amount of time. What time frame is the correct answer to such a ridiculous question? Sales simply depend on desirability and connecting with the right buyer.

He needed to.
I don t think so .......LOT of knives are not sell in first round ,some even after reposting....Knives in steel like M390 ,Elmax, D2 ,3V...etc .WHY Willie71 ? IF only 5160 is bad steel ?

Last edited:
I don t think so .......LOT of knives are not sell in first round ,some even after reposting....Knives in steel like M390 ,Elmax, D2 ,3V...etc .WHY Willie71 ? IF only 5160 is bad steel ?

not what I said. It’s a popular steel for big tough knives. Not known for fine edges or edge holding. Do you sell knives yet? You wouldn’t want to minimize barriers to sales? Several barriers were listed by several people. I suspect you just like to stir the pot, and are doing so now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back