What is going on at W.R. Case and Sons

Wow, my Case problems were half the reason I joined this site... and man, I am 0 for 3 so far, although I might be acting picky. I'd like to think I'm not, because they keep going on about hand made this and quality that. I picked up a Medium Stockman and a burnt stag antler Texas Jack and they both had blade rub, which was quite a surprise because again, they keep promoting their quality (as an aside, I got them from S&R knives in Ontario, and although I asked them to check out the knives before they mailed them, I'm not sure they did... so I'm not sure who to blame here, but I haven't been back to S&R; I really don't think they checked and the last knife they mailed me was a defective Benchmade fer Gawd's sake). Then I picked up the large folding hunter (actually got that from Canadian Tire; they don't carry Case knives at any branches near me but they do have a limited selection to order online) and not only did the blade have an edge that was mediocre at best, but there was blade wobble on one of the blades. I can't tolerate that on the cheapest of knives.

I can certainly post pics if required, but I have to ask if blade rub would be considered acceptable on something like a Case... I'm particularly wondering about the Texas Jack because apparently there's an embargo on the burnt stag antler; if I have one I want it to be a good one, you know? If I can find the receipt I'll probably just return the hunter because as cool as it is, I'm not so hot on the extra blade that gets in the way of the handle's form.

So essentially there are two realistic options for me (and anyone looking at this thread really): quit whining and deal with it, or return everything and ask for service? I would imagine the first response to this would be pics or GTFO so I'll get moving.

Post some photos, including a photo looking down into the well with the blades closed. Are the blades actually touching each other or the liners in the closed position? Or are you pushing the blades against each other or the liners when you are opening them? Why do you think it might be a concern? Does it affect the function in some way?

Minor blade rub is common on stock knives, cattle knives, whittlers and other multi-blades. Sometimes it's just cosmetic.

Last edited:
Dan4, can you make an update with a photo of the well?

Here are some photos of Case & Rough Rider knives that show the difference between a manufacturing defect and normal wear. The Rough Rider 725's clip blade and sheepfoot blade are hitting hard and the spey is hitting the liner hard. In contrast, there is no contact between the blades and liners on the Case 3347. Any rub marks on the Case knife would be caused by pushing on the blades instead of pulling straight up.

Back