What is the best way to flush a knife with stiff blade.

cudgee

Gold Member
Have a new knife, with wood scales. Blade is very stiff to open. Might have gunk in it from factory. I have never had to flush a knife before, what is the best way. I have heard of running under warm water, opening the blade a few times then drying properly, also heard of air flushing. Do not want to spend money on a can of compressed air if i can avoid it. Thanks in advance.

That's what I would do as well start by use lot's of dish soap then run it under water and work the pivot back forth while it's under the running water,then I would just dry it off with a towel and oil the pivot with any kind of oil even if it's just sewing machine oil.

Last edited:
That's what I would to start use lot's of dish soap then run it under water and work the pivot back forth while it's under the running water,then I would just dry it off with a towel and oil the pivot with any kind of oil even if it's just sewing machine oil.
Thanks.:thumbsup: You take care and stay safe my friend.:)

Thanks.:thumbsup: You take care and stay safe my friend.:)

If you have any flipper knife try Go-Juice oil it's the slickest stuff by far that I have ever used for pivots and it doesn't gum up either and it wash's off really easy.

Go-Juice is so slippery that you have to use it to see the result's for yourself,I use a needle oiler bottle and I use a half a drop down each side of the blade and your done.

Go-Juice is a plant based oil and works great,it was made for use on gun's and my friend had a bolt action that was pretty smooth but nothing over the top either and I took my Go-Juice oil and grease over to his place and lubed his gun it felt like someone mirror polished the bolt and the bolt receiver,it's also pretty cheap and a bottle will last you at 4 years and most likely more.

If you have any flipper knife try Go-Juice oil it's the slickest stuff by far that I have ever used for pivots and it doesn't gum up either and it wash's off really easy.

Go-Juice is so slippery that you have to use it to see the result's for yourself,I use a needle oiler bottle and I use a half a drop down each side of the blade and your done.

Go-Juice is a plant based oil and works great,it was made for use on gun's and my friend had a bolt action that was pretty smooth but nothing over the top either and I took my Go-Juice oil and grease over to his place and lubed his gun it felt like someone mirror polished the bolt and the bolt receiver,it's also pretty cheap and a bottle will last you at 4 years and most likely more.
Thanks, i'll look at getting some. Always on the lookout for new stuff to try. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

If you are careful, I'd try a little brakleen, I use it quite frequently on my knives. I'm sure some would disagree, but there's nothing better in my experience for flushing gunk.

If you are careful, I'd try a little brakleen, I use it quite frequently on my knives. I'm sure some would disagree, but there's nothing better in my experience for flushing gunk.
Thanks, i already have a very similar product, good to know. I never even thought of using it, that is why these forums are so good, just an unlimited wealth of knowledge pot there. Take care and look after yourself.

Thanks, i already have a very similar product, good to know. I never even thought of using it, that is why these forums are so good, just an unlimited wealth of knowledge pot there. Take care and look after yourself.

Thanks, I'm glad I could help. Keep us posted on how you make out. You take care as well...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just letting you know how i went. Started by using some degreaser and letting it sit for a while, then flushed under warm running water with some detergent. Did this twice, then applied some oil into the joint, opened and closed a few times to work the oil in. Has made a big difference, thanks for your help. Take care.:):thumbsup:

Just letting you know how i went. Started by using some degreaser and letting it sit for a while, then flushed under warm running water with some detergent. Did this twice, then applied some oil into the joint, opened and closed a few times to work the oil in. Has made a big difference, thanks for your help. Take care.:):thumbsup:
Awesome. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back