What is the Definition of Ettrick??

Nice looking Lockwood, Augie!! I look forward to your better pictures.

The Ettrick story continues in a little friendly gift giving! That Lockwood that Augie posted way back in May, was when I was in France!! Sorry I missed it!!
But in fact I didn't miss it after all! Here it is again, along with some coin-ring gifts from Augie's (and my) dear friend!!;)
The rings are great, and fit perfectly!! The knife appears to be an exhibition-grade production!!:eek:
It has an extended bolster, a wrap-around spring, and a well fitted, and featured, mark-side Horn handle, along with better than average fitting!
Thanks you two for a wonderful Package!!:)
Lockwood Horn 1.jpg Lockwood Horn 2.jpg Lockwood Horn 3.jpg Lockwood Horn 4.jpg Lockwood Horn 5.jpg

The Ettrick story continues in a little friendly gift giving! That Lockwood that Augie posted way back in May, was when I was in France!! Sorry I missed it!!
But in fact I didn't miss it after all! Here it is again, along with some coin-ring gifts from Augie's (and my) dear friend!!;)
The rings are great, and fit perfectly!! The knife appears to be an exhibition-grade production!!:eek:
It has an extended bolster, a wrap-around spring, and a well fitted, and featured, mark-side Horn handle, along with better than average fitting!
Thanks you two for a wonderful Package!!:)
View attachment 981738 View attachment 981739 View attachment 981740 View attachment 981741 View attachment 981742

Your very welcome Charlie. Donna ended up making you 2 rings because she wasn't quite happy with the detail on the first although your scans make them both look great, she will be very happy that you like them.
Enjoy the Lockwood, I thought you might really appreciate it and if you gift a knife you should include a coin so I guess if you gift coin rings you should include a knife:D

I spoke to Donna about these rings Charlie and Augie- nice to see them!
Beautiful they are that’s for sure!

Stunning Ettrick guys Charlie you must have tugged then had to give it another assertive ripping out of Augies hand when he was handing over that beautiful knife!
Augie may have had a firm grip on that knife whilst handing it over :D
Whew- typical Lockwood Bros- gorgeous!!

Duncan, Augie sent me the knife of his own free will! I didn't even expect it!!
A wonderful surprise!!
And thanks, Will - Donna does excellent work!!

Very nice gift from a very nice couple Charlie- oh by the way thank you for your nice comments about the Joseph Rodgers- I missed that!
You are most welcome Charlie

Oh man...these Knives are awesome!
Well ( as per usual for Duncan ) I find there's a Grey area - as we have discussed in the past about what is an Ettrick, and I have a coupe of Knives to add, and value your opinion if these at all reach the criteria of the name Ettrick! They have so much more of a Talon Curve to the Blade compared to a Wharncliffe
I bought the Ebony off the same owner that Paul bought the Stunning Horn example from- for me :thumbsup: I love that Guy!

so here they are.....
sZVyR2u.jpg

Joqvde6.jpg

Charlie...missing the third leg to make your Wheel...
EhRobJ4.jpg

Ladies and Gentleman...Ettricks in your opinion?

Early in the thread there are old illustrations of adverts showing Ettricks with curved blades, so I would be inclined to vote yes. One wonders which version might have developed first. Are there practical advantages to the gently curved shape in use?

Oh man...these Knives are awesome!
Well ( as per usual for Duncan ) I find there's a Grey area - as we have discussed in the past about what is an Ettrick, and I have a coupe of Knives to add, and value your opinion if these at all reach the criteria of the name Ettrick! They have so much more of a Talon Curve to the Blade compared to a Wharncliffe
I bought the Ebony off the same owner that Paul bought the Stunning Horn example from- for me :thumbsup: I love that Guy!

so here they are.....
sZVyR2u.jpg

Joqvde6.jpg

Charlie...missing the third leg to make your Wheel...
EhRobJ4.jpg

Nice knives Duncan, that is a nice pattern I think. They are Peach Pruners, though I have seen them referred to as Ettrick Peach Pruners (to be honest, most of the contemporary Sheffield cutlers and cutlery houses don't know much about knife patterns) :thumbsup:

Nice knives, Duncan!! I understand them as Peach Pruners.
The Ettricks have a blade that is straight-edged, and shorter in proportion to the handle - - - - -
Like that nice JR you sent me!!:)

Thank you Gentleman, I see some slight variances in the Ettricks but wondered if it went that far, Peach Pruners they are, Charlie I wont delete from the Thread though as it bought discussion up on the Ettricks if that's ok Sir? however if you do want me to take 'em off, let me know my friend!

Duncan, all conversation is worthy IMO!!
And I never want to erase one word you have posted here!!:D

Time to warm up this thread again :cool:

Two different approaches but each authentic. Wright in Ebony and the Trevor Ablett in some exceptional and thick Sambar. Notice the Ablett opts for a slightly curved Peach Pruner type blade whereas the Wright employs the conventional Wharncliffe. Both knives feel excellent in the hand, the Ablett has a very high level of finish, fluted bolsters into the Stag, brass it is true I'm not a big fan of but it works well here. The Wright is more basic in finish, the grind is none too good and somewhat bent blade..but functions well after a sharpening, good snap and generally appealing, not expensive.

I like this quirky pattern and wish I had the spare cash for a custom make:cool: Having a long comfortable handle and a short Wharncliffe blade is surprisingly handy and makes it adept.

WVCfX6k.jpg

Two different approaches but each authentic. Wright in Ebony and the Trevor Ablett in some exceptional and thick Sambar. Notice the Ablett opts for a slightly curved Peach Pruner type blade whereas the Wright employs the conventional Wharncliffe. Both knives feel excellent in the hand, the Ablett has a very high level of finish, fluted bolsters into the Stag, brass it is true I'm not a big fan of but it works well here. The Wright is more basic in finish, the grind is none too good and somewhat bent blade..but functions well after a sharpening, good snap and generally appealing, not expensive.

I like this quirky pattern and wish I had the spare cash for a custom make:cool: Having a long comfortable handle and a short Wharncliffe blade is surprisingly handy and makes it adept.

WVCfX6k.jpg

Very nice knives Will, I have a similar Ablett Peach Pruner gifted to me by the good Mr C himself :) Unfortunately, most of the UK vendors who sell Sheffield-made knives, and the Bay Bandits wouldn't know an Ettrick from a slap round the face with a wet fish ;) :thumbsup:

WVCfX6k.jpg

Beautiful knives Will. Yes I have a soft spot for the Ettrick, as well. Coincidentally, I’ve also been carrying my stag Ettrick today - I’d meant to take a snap to revive this thread, so I’m glad to see you’ve done so instead.

They’re both lovely pieces - you’ve found a very nice Peach Pruner there with fine stag covers - I recall chatting with you about stag Ettricks a couple of years ago...

Now, I believe JohnDF JohnDF may have been on the lookout for a sub 2.5” bladed knife to comply with employer regulations.

John, the Ettrick is a fine pattern, and the blade of my A. Wright example comes in well under 2.5”, measured from the front of the bolsters to the tip of the blade.

Pics to follow in the morning...

Last edited:
Thanks Jack and Chin-looking forward to the pictures. It really is an unusual pattern and has a lot going for it. Very worth giving one a try:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Back