What is the difference between good jigging and bad jigging?

Just my opinion, of course, but I prefer the jigging to look more random as opposed to a machine made pattern. I think Case does as good a job as anyone in that respect.
DSC00259-X4.jpg
DSC00290-X4.jpg

- agree with the general consensus that it's subjective/eye of the beholder. The early examples shown by @waynorth are very interesting, and in some measure later ones show how it's all developed, clearly in some cases goes to show how certain jigging styles suits some folders better than others

Personally, prefer a haphazard jigging, when it's regular it just appears more mechanical.

This is an amateur maker and though not wonderful jigging, still suits the character of the knife

This maker, Tozaki, from Japan is renowned for his own jigging

Just suits the knife so well, nice example from Dowell

This Dunlap pair: the Lannys Clip was a custom request to 'pair' up with the other (much older)..........very nice indeed, they don't match but both utterly great folders!

My only Bose. The jigged bone is apparently "AG bone is a bone that AG Russell made in the 50 and 60's, it is no longer available." Really like the way they've used different widths of jigging.

Wow, you got some nice examples there!

Just my opinion, of course, but I prefer the jigging to look more random as opposed to a machine made pattern. I think Case does as good a job as anyone in that respect.
I agree, Case does a great job on their standard jigging. :cool::thumbsup:

Does anyone want to discuss (or explain) how jigging was/is accomplished by both factory methods and custom making, historically and currently? I know, it's not a simple request but it's definitely of interest. I'm a woodworker and I (very occasionally) do "texturing" of surfaces using small rotary tools. There are others who do more than I [on wood] and who are far more imaginative and proficient."

There has, understandably, been a lot of enthusiasm for this topic and a bunch of good comments. Perhaps I posted my question (above) on the wrong forum or thread but I'm surprised that, for a feature for which there's so much interest, there have been no replies to the question about how it is, or was, accomplished. There's been mention of machine-made patterns vs.other patterns but, as far as I can see, no further discussion. Is anyone else interested? Can anyone make a contribution? Thanks in advance.

I wonder why we don’t see more jigging from GEC like we see on some of Charlie’s SFOs. Is it more difficult and therefore more expensive for them to do that type of jigging? I realize it is all subjective, but that jigging seems to be universally appreciated.

It seems like Case can routinely produce some pretty nice random jigging and it is just expected. When GEC produces some pretty nice random jigging it is less frequent and more celebrated. Is this just because GEC knows that jigging is subjective and they are trying to make something for everyone or is it harder for them to do? I’m not trying to criticize GEC, just wondering about the whole process.

I find the chestnut bone Cases to be very nice.
UFqdctD.jpg

I’m not trying to criticize GEC, just wondering about the whole process.
I don't think you're being too critical and I think many of us keep asking the same questions.
I think it's amazing that Case's standard jig pattern is just wonderful, consistently!

Good jigging doesn't give you splinters.

Certainly true :D

A couple of GECs a 25 and a later 82 in Elderberry Bone have arrived with extremely sharp splinters :eek: Wears off but it means the jigging is rather light....
I agree that the blade should be sharp, not the handle. The jigging on my Crown Lifter had a few bad spots, but it only took a minute of rubbing on a leather strop to take down the sharp bits. I like the knife, but I prefer jigging that looks less "machine-made"
7tYReA4.jpg

Classic Schrade:
yVAqi5n.jpg

0uCK0QW.jpg

Case's best:
rpR1a8l.jpg

Hand done pick pone:
3Ogtohj.jpg

yFxgWaX.jpg

I agree. The one thing GEC could consistently improve on is their jigging. Some of it is pretty good but most of it needs improvement.
Not to take anything away from those who like S&M, but I find their worm trail jigging a bit repulsive. Always have.

I'm also not a fan of S&M's worm groove jigging. I also didn't care for the WG jigging GEC did for the forum Harness Jack, one of the reasons I sold it.

I'm also not a fan of S&M's worm groove jigging. I also didn't care for the WG jigging GEC did for the forum Harness Jack, one of the reasons I sold it.
I don't hate it.
oQCmM0m.jpg

It is nice to have some variety, so I don't think I'd want GEC to only do one jigging style, even if it is my favorite.
FWzIIpB.jpg

Last edited:
Back