What is the difference between good jigging and bad jigging?

r8shell r8shell The Howard is a beautiful oldster :thumbsup: I think it's right that some people are questioning certain GEC jigging, CASE is more dependable (less so their dye skills though..)

I don't think you're being overly critical either.

Example

GEC-ILLUSTRATED-1.jpg

Your image seems to have temp disappeared, Forum playing up weirdly here today...

But when I saw it earlier I was aghast. Off Roader drives through wet tar..:eek::poop: Looks kind of PRESSED OUT rather than jigged;) Now I've got hat fine Smokey Robinson song in my head 'The Tracks of My Tears' :D

Your image seems to have temp disappeared, Forum playing up weirdly here today...

But when I saw it earlier I was aghast. Off Roader drives through wet tar..:eek::poop: Looks kind of PRESSED OUT rather than jigged;) Now I've got hat fine Smokey Robinson song in my head 'The Tracks of My Tears' :D

Looks like GEC took it down but here is another pic

uK2bB8Q.jpg

Personally I dont mind machined looking jigging or sawcut, but in these cases I dont like when the jigging is unclean. I would like it to have smooth and even grooves without flakes or shreds or "splinters". That said my two GECs with this style jigging both have some questionable spots, but I presume they will smooth out with use.

I agree that generally I like the less machined look, but I will say that there are a few that look good like that, more purposefully done. Such as a lot of the beaver tails look fine or the new 33s that someone already posted a picture of.

Mostly a matter of taste. I tend to prefer deep, random jigging, that doesn't immediately look like it was done by a machine. Some modern machine cut jigging is pretty good, but if it is, it looks more like hand cut.

Good
El9URmq.jpg

Not so good
LUVEil2.jpg
I agree totally with Jeff... the difference to me is to have it look more random than to be obviously done mechanically.

If someone hasn't mentioned it already, there is a thread dedicated to some of our favorite bone examples:

https://bladeforums.com/threads/gettin-jiggy-with-it-jigged-bone-photos.1520452/

This knife below is one of my favorites and the one below it has one with real "groovy" character...

garland-1a-jpg.1125148

cattscout-1b-jpg.1125146

cattscout-1c-jpg.1125147

Back