What is the favored handgun among the military these days?

Ad

I know this post doesn't have anything to do with knives, but I know a lot of guys here are either military or ex-military. I was wondering what most of our guys are packing over in Afghanistan. My dad is a 1911 nut; I am a Glock nut. I have read about the attributes of the H&K and Beretta.

Are most of our guys going with .45 instead of 9mm? Are there any disparaging rumors floating around out there concerning certain brands? (i.e. many years ago some of the Berettas were getting bad press because of an incident where the firing pin supposedly flew backward, into the shooter's eye, thus killing him) I had one guy tell me that he doesn't like the Glocks out in the desert environs because the gap between frame and slide allows too much dirt to get in.

Hopefully you guys will chime in here. Thanks.

When you carry the 1911, does the military provide you with any of the exotic ammo, such as Federal Hydro-Shok or Remington Golden Sabres; or are you restricted to shooting only hardball?

Ummmm....I believe there's this little thing called the Geneva Convention that forbids expanding projectiles between "lawful combatants".

Well us slackers are using the standard issue M9 9mm Beretta 92F with either ball or hollow point ammo. We can be issued hollow point ammo when conducting Law Enforcement or anti terorism roles. Just no HP when in a "war" footing.

I've been using the Beretta since 95 and have never seen one break, or even known anybody that knew anybody who broke one. The problem with the early breakage was the 1st issued TZZ ammo. TZZ ammo was made for the UZI and way overpressure for the Beretta, hence the breakage.

The broken Berettas I've seen were cracked back near the 'ejection port' (rear of that top opening) on the slide. The brigadier model was beefed up in that exact place ... ;)

On the Beretta if the slide broke the rear of the slide could potential fly off towards your head :eek:

Originally posted by Izrafil
The broken Berettas I've seen were cracked back near the 'ejection port' (rear of that top opening) on the slide. The brigadier model was beefed up in that exact place ... ;)

On the Beretta if the slide broke the rear of the slide could potential fly off towards your head :eek:

The only ones I've ever read about breaking were the imported Itilan Beretta and yep, that's exactly where they broke fromm shooting the imported Isrealie hot sub gun TZZ ammo. I shot lots of the TZZ in Beretta's and compared to standard issue it was rather hot and had way more recoil.

That's also why Beretta added the slide lock safety device (no I'm not sure of the exact nomaclature, and it's way to early to break out the book's and look it up) this device keeps the slide from flying off the frame in case of a slide breakage. I've talked to our CATM people more than once and of all the one's I've talked to they have never seen a breakage or even a cracked slide. CATM are the people who teach the USAF how to shoot, repair the weapons and run the ranges, so if anybody would see or hear about a breakage it would be them.

I trained in the Marines with the 1911, and have had a love affair with it ever since. The Sig 220 is nice also. But I tend to really like my 1911's most of all.

Do you guys ever see any Glocks out there in the field? By the way, I have a Glock 21 and a Sig 220. I prefer shooting the Glock, but I find that I carry the Sig a lot more, because I don't mind the barrel pointing at my pecker when I've got the gun in my waistband. The Glock still spooks me.

The majority of sidearms I have seen issued are the Beretta's
9 mm BUT if you ask what they want to carry it's always 1911 Sir!

p.s. Thats why MEU Marines get the enviable Marine Corps modified Colt 1911!!!

Advantedge,

To be more specific, Marines assigned to the MEU(SOC) do not have the MEU(SOC) Pistol.
Only those Marines in Force Reconnaissance have the MEU(SOC) pistol, issued as a secondary weapon.
They will float as part of the MEU Command element, but they are the only ones (with SOTG) who have this pistol.

So what kind of modifications go into the the Marine Corp 1911?

NIB,

Hi! I don't want to get involved in a gun thing on the Strider page. If you go over to Tactical Forums, hit Force Reconnaissance, and do a search for MEU(SOC). Poor old Chandler Sniper 158 may- if you requst it- provide a reprint of an article in the old Tactical Shooter magazine.
The information therein has been overtaken by events, and the Product Improved Pistol is on the way shortly.

H&K USP .45 is my personal favorite. I'll see what they let me carry after I do AIT.

The vast majority of folks in any branch of the service that are issued a handgun will have the M9, like it or not. I have been in and out of the military my entire adult life, 4 1/2 years active duty Coast Guard, 3 years Army Nat. Guard and now enlisted in the Air Nat. Guard and on active duty for Noble Eagle/Enduring Freedom. I have never been a Spec Ops type and will not attempt to speak with authority on what they carry. I will say that anyone who is not a Spec Ops type will have either the M9 or the M11 (Sig P228) issued to them. Determination for who gets the M11 is made on your job, not what you want. CID, MPI, OSI, tankers, chopper pilots and some others get the M11. Quite frankly, Uncle Sam could not care less what most of us want to carry. Shrike is correct that HP rounds are issued in some instances, just not ground combat.

Here us a list I have of special units and what they sometimes use...usually it's whatever is mission appropriate (ie, everyone in SOCOM does not always lug around a Mk 23)

US-M9, some special units using a modified 1911, some seals using sig 226's instead of berettas.

British SAS replaced their browning hi powers with sig 226's in the mid 80's-there are still some HP's in service, and some 228's as well. I've heard of some glock 17's that had been used, but I'm not sure.

German army uses a varient of the USP9

Australian SASR uses the USP9

Austrians and Norwegiens use glock 17's

that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not military, I know these facts and figures through research and asking. I could be wrong, I have been before. Again, units use what is available...I'm sure there are some very special units that are issued the M9 (I've heard one squadron of "delta" is issued an M9 but don't know for sure) it truly is a secondary weapon. And I don't think ball ammo is a problem, most of these oporators know what they're doing (I think I read somewhere that during the Iranian Embassy raid in 1980 the average dead terrorist had been hit 41 times!)

BTW, the M9 failures were slide fractures that came from shooting the weapon after a part had failed, the locking block. the locking block takes a pounding during shooting-when it cracked, the slide took the pounding and fractured. beretta put a retaining pin/dics on later variants so if the slide fractured and would not fly off.

Personally speaking, I shoot a sig 226 best of all and carry it often. If not that, I carry a plain jane untouched Springfield Armory MilSpec. I got it to replace a kimber that would not work right and the SA has not yet missed a beat.
Again, I am not military, so this is not the holy grail. I just shoot alot of handguns and ask the "right" people some questions.
sorry for the long post.
cheers,
derek

Back