What is the meaning of "ugly betty"?

I recently wanted to buy a survival!GSO knife,And I saw some people talking about "ugly betty"
That is another version of survival knives?My english is terrible,I hope you can understand.
Thanks!

The name is kind of a joke. There have been three grades of knives produced, the first quality (normal) knives, the second quality (factory seconds, or knives with some flaws), and the ugly betty grade, which are knives with more flaws. They didn't want to use the term factory thirds so they made a joke out of it.

Fancier, knows his stuff! Ugly Betties are good working knives, but will have some noticeable blemishes and are not covered by the warranty.

I recently wanted to buy a survival!GSO knife,And I saw some people talking about "ugly betty"
That is another version of survival knives?My english is terrible,I hope you can understand.
Thanks!
You can write in English much, much better than I can write in a second language :thumbup:

The name is kind of a joke. There have been three grades of knives produced, the first quality (normal) knives, the second quality (factory seconds, or knives with some flaws), and the ugly betty grade, which are knives with more flaws. They didn't want to use the term factory thirds so they made a joke out of it.

Thanks!
Is there any different stamp or mark between three of them? How do I distinguish them?

The knives that are being sold direct from the company now will say Factory Second or Ugly Betty under the American flag that's etched on the blade. The old models had a divot stamped under the handle.

Back