What is the most Expensive EDC you really use?

All the guys at work know I'm a knife nut and one of them brought me a Gerber tanto with the tip broken off. Seems he had to remove his daughters license plate in a hurry as it was being impounded for whatever reason. A tanto for a screwdriver?
I took it home and put it on the belt sander. I got her smoothed out but he ended up with a shorter blade. Still carries her to this day. 5 years ago.
KNIVES ARE FOR CUTTING. RIGHT?

Most (but not all) of my knives in the $150 range I use liberally, the best example is my burple PM2. My Guardian 3 doesn't see much carry, but when carried it gets USED. I don't hold back with either one. Both are such a pleasure to use hard! As such, they always seem to find their way to my pocket/belt when hard use is expected.

IMG_0257.JPG

I have some pricier knives for office carry and pocket jewlrey. Ha! Yes, I'm secure enough to admit it--even on BF--LOL! Those blades see comparatively light use, but they're not safe queens by any means. Most have the lumps and bumps to prove it.

Last edited:
I'm with you brother. In my case, I'm not well off enough to have any safe queens. Nothing against those who do, I just can't. But really, not sure I would if I could. There's too many things in life I want.
Kinda like the ol boy who said, wine, women and song are getting me down, guess I'll have to give up the song. :)

Considering I paid $400 for it thats what I count it as. Its probably worth more now but my Benchmade 42 balisong I carry, use and drop a bunch. My bm 940 I not only took a dremel to it to add a "wave" but I use it to rip drywall screws out of wood, throw it for fun and just generally treat it like crap. IMO if you buy it and dont plan on using it...just sell it.

Accessorize Hinderer XM-18 = $1,370. It's meant to be used an carried. And I enjoy doing just that.

My most expensive carry knives are my Spyderco Manix 2 XL with S90V and CF, and my Spyderco PM2 with M4 and CF.

All the guys at work know I'm a knife nut and one of them brought me a Gerber tanto with the tip broken off. Seems he had to remove his daughters license plate in a hurry as it was being impounded for whatever reason. A tanto for a screwdriver?
I took it home and put it on the belt sander. I got her smoothed out but he ended up with a shorter blade. Still carries her to this day. 5 years ago.
KNIVES ARE FOR CUTTING. RIGHT?
I'd sacrifice a Gerber for my tags its ~$100 to renew tags where I live and I am not sure what it is to get them new but I doubt any cheaper.

Chip!!! You dabble in HVAC also??
This dinosaur is torturing my butt this fine morning!!
Ugh!
Joe

View attachment 740681

Hey Joe...yeah, you(couldn't help the Jimi reference;) ). I'll see your A/C unit and raise 3 dinosaur adsorbtion chillers :D
Screenshot_20170727-181445.png

I only dabble in HVAC as needed (although my first job was sheetmetal fab for an HVAC company), I'm actually a power plant operator. I have a buddy that does large commercial HVAC though, he's got some great stories of archaic stuff.

~Chip

All of them. Why is it that so many buy hard use overbuilt knives but are afraid to use them? I have a bunch of mid techs in the $500 range that get used often but the most used recently is my Curtis F3 wharnie and my Ferum forge Master Blaster. I would use them for everything except as a pry tool. I recommend heavy stonewashed blades to hide usage. No mirror edged hand rubbed blades in my tribe.

IMG_0633.jpg
IMG_0943.jpg

I'd sacrifice a Gerber for my tags its ~$100 to renew tags where I live and I am not sure what it is to get them new but I doubt any cheaper.
I see your point but....what if he'd of had a tanto Sebenza in his pocket? Knowing this guy, he'd of used it. He's a firefighter. They sub as Security Officers where I work on their off days.

I have a Benchmade 162 Bushcraft that I use. I bought it used with an extra sheath. $160 total for box, knife, and two sheaths.

All of them. Why is it that so many buy hard use overbuilt knives but are afraid to use them? I have a bunch of mid techs in the $500 range that get used often but the most used recently is my Curtis F3 wharnie and my Ferum forge Master Blaster. I would use them for everything except as a pry tool. I recommend heavy stonewashed blades to hide usage. No mirror edged hand rubbed blades in my tribe.

View attachment 740938
View attachment 740939

Yes buying an overbuilt knife and being afraid to use it is funny.

My Military with cts204p blade steel is my most expensive commonly carried knife. Also an m390 710. My other knives in my edc rotation cost less than these. I have a Sebenza , a xm18 , and an sng that I can t bring myself to carry. My most expensive, a William Henry , has a lot of sentimental value and I save that for special occasions.
I mostly carry high quality, high value knives. That means a lot of knife for a low price.

Large sebenza 21, and I use it more than any other knife I own. Second would be a Ritter grip which is considered expensive to some.

I got myself a Large Inkosi for my birthday that I promised myself I wouldn't hold back on. Since it was one of my most expensive knives it's helped me to realize I should use and enjoy all my knives.

Back