What is the most Expensive EDC you really use?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by anthony cheeseboro, Jul 27, 2017.

1. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I started a thread a few years back,titled something like how much is your pocket worth? You might be surprised at the value of the pocket dumps of some of our more crazy members. Carry a large UG or inlay Sebenza, a custom fixed blade, custom traditional or modern folder and you could easily go northwards of $1,500/$2,000. Add in a custom light and a pen all of a sudden you have enough in your pocket than I paid for any of my first dozen or so cars.

Charlie Mike and Uncle Timbo like this.
  2. jc57

jc57

Nov 28, 2012
    Most expensive knife I regularly use other than kitchen knives is a ZT 0566, but it is not an EDC knife.

3. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    What's in my pockets routinely outweighs what I paid for my car (an '03 Focus wagon that I scored for $1700 a few years back). It's nothing fancy but it gets me to work every day and gets good mileage doing it. But I've always said " I drive a bucket so I can have nice toys" ;)

~Chip

4. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Nope, what you are doing is trying to "shame" people into trashing their knives just so you can enjoy yourself vicariously.

You don't get to twist my words because I am not trying to get people to do what they may not want. I'm sure most people here have their own minds and won't be affected by your puny attempts at manipulation.

My problem is with people who look down on people who don't use their knives the way you want them to.

Why don't you trash your knives and look at them all you want? Nobody's going to call you out for that.

Are you saying that when people post pics of knives they better look "used" so you can enjoy yourself?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    sharp_edge likes this.
  5. MacDee

MacDee

Jun 21, 2017
    For Work... ZT 0095 BlackWash... not so Expensive
    After Work... Marfione Custom Sigil MK6 Acid Wash Finish... Very Expensive

Both used quite frequently.

lieferung likes this.
  6. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    You know, I kinda wish my favorite, current, carry, my Sage I, was made out of 01 or some other kind of carbon steel. Anything but stainless. Yea, yea, yea, I know, S30V is fantastic, but it's always so stinking shiny. I realize there are plenty of slipjoints made out of carbon steel, but they ain't the Sage. I was born a carbon steel guy in the country and I prolly die that way and I'm just fine with that.
    Carbon shows it's age, kinda like it's owner.

7. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Talk about the knives, not each other.

As for why knives don't look used? Most folks take a pic of their knife when they get it. I know I do. But I don't usually take pics after that. So if I want to show a knife, it's likely going to be a picture of that knife when it was new. Because that's the picture I have available.

Kaizen1, vwb563 and znapschatz like this.
  8. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Case Amber bone CV Canoe.

9. Dean51

Dean51

Aug 30, 2014
    I have a Benchmade Mini Barrage 586 that is well used but no recent pictures.
    I'm careful how I sit it down usually on it's back instead of on it's side. So at first glance it doesn't look to used.
    Until you open the blade, the etching used to say First Production - 62 of 750 with M390 near the spine.
    Today it reads, Production - of 750 - M39 and the 9 is getting hard to read.
    Maybe someday I'll take a new pic.

Back to topic this is my most expensive edc I carry.

10. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    A point I'll make about the appearance of wear: Some knives age better with use over time than others. My first Sebenza is a large regular from 2002 that I had to reprofile the edge on, then it got years of use, though other than snail trails and scuffs on the handle, and a very close up look at the edge, I doubt much wear would be apparent in a photo, were I to take one. Especially if the knife were any distance from the camera.

Meanwhile, I have H1 Salt folders that started showing signs of use almost immediately.

Unfortunately, to this day I still can't and have never been able to post pics online, so I guess whoever might say 'Pics or it didn't happen' will have to take my word for it.

Jim

11. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    That, plus most often, lighting. Many of the pix I take of my knives in action are "on the job," where I have little control of ambient light. Some of my scratched up blades look pristine in the photos because, while the rest of the pic is okay, the stainless steel is overexposed and flat lit, obscuring details of scratches and etc.
    I've had this Delica 4 sg at least ten years. It has been used, not abused, but the blade in real life definitely shows signs of it. Yet, the overhead light on this day washed out all signs, even making it look almost like the ffg version. Check the scale for whether or not it is a new piece.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Charlie Mike likes this.
  12. PURPLEDC

PURPLEDC

Apr 4, 2007
    steelcraft bodega. Spec'd like mine it would be about $530. Carried and used everyday.

Charlie Mike likes this.
  13. PNWhovian

PNWhovian

Jan 16, 2015
    Chaves Redencion 228, Strider SA, Three Sisters Forge Gorgon, CRK Micarta Sebenza 25

Charlie Mike likes this.
  14. bladeboss

bladeboss

Mar 6, 2012
    My beater is an Emerson CQC-7 that I used yesterday to pry the lid off a paint can.

Lapedog and Charlie Mike like this.
  15. Basp2005

Basp2005

Dec 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

16. Art_Vandeley

Art_Vandeley

Jul 22, 2009
    I edc a custom Emerson Super CQC 6. The last one I saw sold went for $3k.

Charlie Mike likes this.
  17. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    My most expensive knife is a John Lloyd custom shadow Dogleg Jack with 1950s micarta covers, at around $300. I haven't carried it in about a year (just been EDCing other things), but when I EDCed it regularly I tossed it in my pocket with change and keys and used it for whatever came up -- which, given that I work in an office, is pretty light duty compared to some.

[​IMG]

But this comment from Kootaga13 really resonated with me:

Right now, I think the only knife I own that I've used that way -- without reservation -- is my bushcraft knife, an Ontario Blackbird SK-5. It's a tank; it's made for that; and at about $100, it's not wildly expensive.

[​IMG]

But among my folders, I can't think of any I'd use without reservations. I take care of my stuff, and as much as I try to internalize this fantastic Bob Loveless quote, I often find myself hesitating to really beat on my knives:

"A knife is a tool, and if we don't treat our tools with a certain familiar contempt, we lose perspective."

I love that quote! And it's definitely a mental thing: my current EDC knife, a Para Military 2, is a tool -- and a tough one, at that. But I don't use it like I'd use the hammer in my toolbox, even though that's also a tough tool designed to perform its intended tasks well. I don't use my PM2 without reservation.

Funnily enough, I've got a Cold Steel American Lawman in the mail right now, and I'm hoping that it's a knife I will hold and think -- like I did with the Blackbird -- "I can do whatever the hell I want with this, because it can take it." I want to make that mental shift. I want to look up in a couple years, realize I've EDCed the same knife that whole time, and realize how weathered and worn -- how loved, how used -- it's become.

duffman0500 and Uncle Timbo like this.
  18. cnm123

cnm123 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    My comfort zone is $100-150. Ritter Grip(not as much now discod and all that) same as my BM 710s, but Kizers, Manix2 get used at work all the time.
    The top end is BM 551 G-10. Found it below MAP, but still spendy for me. It's more of a weekend knife but still gets its share of use.

19. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Still this one
    [​IMG]

Charlie Mike likes this.
  20. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    Nowadays it's my Kizer Feist. I used to carry a Southard and Techno. None are really expensive, I haven't crossed the $200 threshold yet.