What is the One "Must Have" Knife?

Today I say... PM2.

Funny that I didn't always feel that way about the PM2. But for years now I can't think of a better medium size all-arounder. If we are talking about practical users, I think "the one must have" question is the same as "the one to rule them all" question. REX45 is the best performing PM2 steel release to date IMHO.

WdGqHBW.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree about the gateway thing. For strict utility, an SAK is fine. But it's not really an enthusiasts knife. It's like a Toyota Corolla. It gets the job done, but with little joy.

Being disabled, I'm grateful to own knives that are nice to look at, get the job done, and have a fidget factor to keep boredom at bay.

My picks:

High priced
Rick Hinderer XM-18 Gen 6 3.5" Skinny, Slicer Grind: Highly sought after but limited annual production volume. They sell out fast, but you'll have one maybe two chances a year to buy a new one. Many after market parts to personalize the look and feel of your knife to keep things spicy. I have CRK and IMHO the quality of the Gen 6 Hinderers are right up there, plus they're enjoyable to own and use. High resale value should you decide its not for you.

Mid-priced
Spyderco Paramilitary 2: Look at any knife or EDC publication past or present that lists the top EDC knives available and you'll always see the PM2 listed among them. One of the most practical all purpose folding knives made. Many varieties available and many after market parts available to customize the look and feel of your knife. You can keep it plain Jane or you can mod it to be a piece of awe that any knife afi would envy.

If we are talking folders... i need or want nothing other than a Spyderco Military. It does everything I ask with gusto! If I was told one folder for the rest of my life, Ide be set with a Millie. Even if it was the standard version

As far as fixed blades, theres a few models that I love, but I am really not sure yet which one would get the “one knife” nod

Last edited:
Hello. I've had the pleasure to own and use many knives over the years, both production and handmade from some top bladesmiths. At this time, if I had to recommend one knife for a knife enthusiast to own, use, and enjoy, it would be a Murray Carter neck knife. His background is traditional Japanese bladesmithing and he's also an ABS Mastersmith.
Many (most?) of his knives are of forged Hitachi White Steel. I own 3 of his knives and they are exceptional in form and function. I haven't experienced any knife with qualities quite like Murray Carter's. They are relatively expensive, but I consider mine to be very fine cutlery and well worth the price.

I didn't actually count 'em, but it's funny how the majority of those responding to the "one knife" question mentioned two or more--including our OP.

If it's truly just one, I have to agree with Lapedog Lapedog and go with a large Sebenza 21. Super quality, simplicity, ease of maintenance, and lifetime service and warranty. Just unbeatable. Micarta inlays to complete the package.

Of course I'm no different than the majority I just mentioned and could also probably get by with my F95T Shiro or one of my several Militaries. I would also probably sneak a beater in my left pocket when nobody was looking. ;)

As far as a must have... I'd love to have a Dark Timber knife. Peter Kohler is one helluva Knife Maker!

Since my last post suggested things that are at least $500 now, I wanted to come back with something a little more affordable. And for the sub-$500 price range, there's nothing I'd recommend over the SpydieChef, admittedly still pretty expensive – at least for EDC use that's not overly heavy-duty.
QLp1kgb.jpg

LJ7PGcC.jpg

Some good knives to try.

One brand that hasn't been mentioned yet... Three rivers manufacturing.
Some really good ones! Is that a Burger EXK next to the Kapara? Mine is starting to vie with my Specter and Arius for the “must have” title. And the TRM Neutron is a great call.

Some really good ones! Is that a Burger EXK next to the Kapara? Mine is starting to vie with my Specter and Arius for the “must have” title. And the TRM Neutron is a great call.
yes.
I don't like the arius at all. But the specter is great. Don't have one but know someone that's had alot of them. Tbo I'll keep buying the tbc's. But id still love to have a specter. I was waiting for trm to make the frame lock version, but dunno if that's even gonna happen anymore. I do have a trm tb1000cf I like. Good knives and company.

Back