What is the One "Must Have" Knife?

I’m going to say that anyone getting more serious about pocket knives “must have” a traditional and a Spyderco. More specifically a GEC #15 or #74 as I personally feel they are some of GEC’s best. For the Spyderco, a PM2 in a fancy pants steel. I think getting these will help someone appreciate many things about knives even if they decide neither is for them. Also if not their cup o tea, they’d be easy to sell without losing much if any cash. However for me these will always be in the collection and are must haves.

I’m going to say that anyone getting more serious about pocket knives “must have” a traditional and a Spyderco. More specifically a GEC #15 or #74 as I personally feel they are some of GEC’s best. For the Spyderco, a PM2 in a fancy pants steel. I think getting these will help someone appreciate many things about knives even if they decide neither is for them. Also if not their cup o tea, they’d be easy to sell without losing much if any cash. However for me these will always be in the collection and are must haves.
I think the PM2 would be a popular choice as a must have. You’re right about ease of sale. I tried a PM2 but just sold mine. I still have four other Spydercos, though.

I am more inclined to pick features than an actual knife. For a folder, make it something that offers one hand opening, a full flat grind drop point blade made out of stainless steel and open pillar construction. The blade can be anywhere between 3-4 inches. And, the knife must have the ability to be closed one-handed.

Now, with that said, if I must pick a production knife for the masses, make it a Victorinox Cadet. No, it does not meet the standards listed above but we are talking about a folding knife for the common guy or gal. A knife that could be carried just about anywhere in the world, is easy to sharpen and people don't freak out when they see it.

I was thinking along those lines. At this point, I would prefer it not to be a Loveless. I'd rather have a custom Loveless inspired. That I could carry and use. If I acquire a Loveless at some point, it's going to sit in a lockbox.

I have just acquired one. Appears to be a semi skinner.

Try not to think badly of me but I would like to have a whole assortment of 1800's vintage butcher/kitchen knives complete with cleaver.

I don't even care if they are rusty, I will fix them.
I don't care if the handles are a bit dodgy, I will fix them.

Edit to add: And/or something from Dave Ferry in a horizontal sheath.

Back