What is THE quintessential Case knife?

In your opinion, what knife/pattern comes to mind when you hear Case? For me it is the Sod Buster (or Sod Buster Jr.). Probably because that was the pattern I was most exposed to growing up. It was fairly affordable for the lower class, yet you still got that Case XX quality.

For me, it'd be the old Case Barlows
DSC_0030-X5.jpg

IMG_0668-X4.jpg

Or maybe the Texas Jacks
IMG_0810-X4.jpg

When I think "Case", I often think of CV, yellow Delrin, and Sowbelly.

dU3aywy.jpg

I also think of their classic Red Bone and though I don't have the most perfect of examples, it still is a fine knife and hard to not mistake for some of Case's best.

pV2UqSv.jpg

I'd guess a two blade medium or large Jack knife, a (two blade) Trapper, the Stockman, and/or Sodbuster, and maybe the Barlow and canoe are what most knife folk think of when they hear "Case" ... Non-knife folk might think of a tractor or combine, 24 bottles of beer, jury duty, or what is heard in a courtroom?

I'll go against the grain and say it's the medium stockman.
I've been to both Shepherd Hills stores in Missouri a number of times and I always talk with the salesman for a while and I've asked a couple times and each time whoever is working tells me they sell more if the stockman pattern than any other. As a side note I own 2 case medium stock men and 0 trappers.

I'd guess a two blade medium or large Jack knife, a (two blade) Trapper, the Stockman, and/or Sodbuster, and maybe the Barlow and canoe are what most knife folk think of when they hear "Case" ... Non-knife folk might think of a tractor or combine, 24 bottles of beer, jury duty, or what is heard in a courtroom?
I'll admit it took me a second....good one.

A “Case Knife” in my mind will always be a bone handled Medium Stockman. I guess it will vary for each person, but there are only two brands of knives still on the market where the brand name itself causes the general population to notice and know what you mean; a “Case Knife” (generic for any traditional pocketknife) and a “Buck Knife” (generic for any Lock-Back). The others are simply unknown names to the masses. OH
Case-6318-CV-Nine-dot-1981.jpg

Back