What is the smartest thing you have ever done with a Knife?

I saw the thread about the stupidest thing we did with our knives and I thought it would be a nice thing to see all those stories about what the smartest thing we have done with our knives during the course of our daily living.

Mine has been typical trail clearing, simple camp chores, etc. Nothing exciting comes to my mind just yet. So I’m hoping all you guys have tales to tell about the smartest thing you have done with your knife.

P.s. bonus for the story teller showing a picture of the knife that helped make your story happen. :D

Got multiple copies of my favorite EDC so it's truly expendable. Two on the go: one plain edge, one serrated. 3 x backups in the safe ready to go, and more will be acquired when the right deals come around.

Lets me enjoy the rest of my collection without the need to use them too hard.

The smartest thing I've ever done with a knife besides putting one in my pocket everyday would probably be throwing it in the garbage, or throwing it into a campfire.
I recently threw away some garbage knives which were horrible freebie Vic Classic wannabees and dollar store sak wannabees.

The one I threw into a campfire was also a dollar store sak copy, my brother didn't want it and gave it to me but I didn't want it so I tried to give it to my friend who wouldn't take it so I tossed it Into the campfire.

You learned to sharpen a knife with a knife?

I'm gonna be that person in this thread, and nitpick the grammar. They said smartest thing you have done with a knife, not to a knife.

Smartest thing I have done with a knife is cut open packages to more knives.
Now that you put it that way, when smartest thing I've ever done with a knife would be exercise caution from a young age and naturally develop safe cutting techniques ( nobody ever taught me anything ) so that I've only cut myself a handful of times.

If you'll allow a hatchet story.? We embarked on a 52 mile wilderness river canoe trip. The first day in category 3 rapids I broke my fiberglass oar. I roped it back together as best I could. But it could not handle much use. Being tired we made camp and I thought on our predicament.
After a good night sleep and a hearty breakfast. I looked around and found a suitable Sycamore limb. I cut it with a T saw and using my Estwing hatchet I whittled a good oar from it. (survival skills and sharp axe at work) I used it for the next 2 days and it carried us out. None the worse for wear. DM

RE: "What is the smartest thing you have ever done with a Knife?"

Learned at a very young age to always carry one (at least one).
That fits me. I don't have stories of "smart", but I know I've been thankful many times to have a knife with me.

If you'll allow a hatchet story.? We embarked on a 52 mile wilderness river canoe trip. The first day in category 3 rapids I broke my fiberglass oar. I roped it back together as best I could. But it could not handle much use. Being tired we made camp and I thought on our predicament.
After a good night sleep and a hearty breakfast. I looked around and found a suitable Sycamore limb. I cut it with a T saw and using my Estwing hatchet I whittled a good oar from it. (survival skills and sharp axe at work) I used it for the next 2 days and it carried us out. None the worse for wear. DM

He said smartest... a hatchet is totally the wrong tool for the job.

You need a Phil Harvey Piecemaker. Then you could just use your knife itself as an oar!

15624148_174736106335018_1314199145774317568_n.jpg

Might be up a creek, but you've got a paddle!

He said smartest... a hatchet is totally the wrong tool for the job.

You need a Phil Harvey Piecemaker. Then you could just use your knife itself as an oar!

15624148_174736106335018_1314199145774317568_n.jpg

Might be up a creek, but you've got a paddle!
Kudos for bringing that monstrosity to light, but if we're talking blades that could double as an oar the answer has to be...Smatchet;).

~Chip

Kudos for bringing that monstrosity to light, but if we're talking blades that could double as an oar the answer has to be...Smatchet;).

~Chip
I can't take credit for it. Jim Skelton posted it on Instagram months ago and I made fun of it; calling it a tactical boat oar. Seemed appropriate as a response to the post above.

I suppose the smartest thing I've done WITH a knife was make some tent stakes. Was camping one night and debated whether to put the rain cover on the tent because I'd have to make stakes for it... The thunderstorm that rolled in that night would've been really unpleasant if I hadn't.

You learned to sharpen a knife with a knife?

I'm gonna be that person in this thread, and nitpick the grammar. They said smartest thing you have done with a knife, not to a knife.

Smartest thing I have done with a knife is cut open packages to more knives.

Yeah he learned to sharpen with a Chakma.

I learned to sharpen with my knives and the tools needed to do that; then, if that will keep the semantics nazi happy.

Smartest thing I have learned to do is learn how to do things for yourself. With knives or in life. Being independent is important to me, and one of the more important lessons I have learned in my journey.

Thanks

Back