What is the smartest thing you have ever done with a Knife?

A few things relating to emergency medicine, but not surgery! Best thing I did with a SAK was quite recently and not using the blade. Got a gas stove going on a mountain side in bad weather, with my younger son in tow. That was a win. It was the flat head bit that did the trick, using it diagonally with torque.

Probably not the smartest but I used an XL Recon1 to help a pretty lady get a box of pasta off the top shelf in the grocery store. After she couldn't reach it and asked for help.

I decided (finally :rolleyes:) to get a true "custom" made to my specs (first of 6 or 8) for camping. :thumbsup: Before that none were ever quite exactly what I wanted, though very functional. Try some then get one made to your personal specs; you'll be glad you did. ;)

The smartest thing I have ever done with a knife is when I break the tip of knife to use it as a chisel.... storm, late afternoon, 70 kilometers in the wild , road less area /goat's path/ I was driving home from four day fishing ...My bike broke down......to fix it I had to unscrew a few screws with allen head. One of them have damaged allen head from rubbing in stones , rocks . . . ....... Here I m , don t tell me that cheap knife is not good .....:p
Sorry , no pictures ..........heavy rain ;)

One time as a kid, I stepped on some glass while running barefoot. I used one of those Zippo pen knives to cut into my rather leathery heel to pry out the glass shard. Didn't hurt but kinda creepy cutting on one's self an eighth of an inch deep + or so. Maybe not smart, but it worked. Actually not smart, as my next-door neighbor was an oral surgeon and was used to patching up the neighborhood kids. He used to ask us "Where do you want it, in the belly or the back?" (He had a 1903 Springfield rifle and a bayonet.)

Actually, the best thing I did with a knife, not the smartest, was to offer one. In Thailand just after a flood, by Mom-in-law decided to butcher her pig. Her ex-hubby was doing the butchering and needed a sharp knife. I had a hill tribe knife in my backpack about 10" long blade, sort of a Bowie shape. He laughed when I pulled it out, like the foreigner would know. In one quick stroke, I shaved the hair off my forearm for about 4 inches and dusted it off. A lot of people were glad to get fresh cut pork that day.

Hahaha! I bought a buck hoodlum from my local lawn shop and it had this horrible lanyard on it. Well as I sitting in my recliner with my wife sitting right next to me in another chair. I was holding the lanyard and cut the lanyard. Lolol you can imagine what gravity did with this huge a** kinfe. It stuck the whole tip in my leg and before I even reacted my wife reached over pulled out the knife and called me a dumbass before the blood even came out. Luckily she's a RN and actually stitched me up at home. Last Christmas I got a huge poster from my employees hung above my desk of ace venture in pet detective when he took a spear to the leg. Very funny and still haven't lived it down.

Got a big drunks attention one night at a bar! I accidentally bumped into him at the bar ,He was 6:4 250 and Drunk! I said excuse me and started walking when he grabbed me! I pulled out my Fixed blade and Palmed it! He said I was Not excused and he was going to stomp my 6 ! With that announcement I took a Step toward him and pressed the tip of my steel right about when his liver was! I told him I was really sorry ,I was their to have a good time but if wanted a fight I was going to carve out his liver! He laughed so I pressed the tip till it brought blood. He looks down and sees a dime sized spot of red on his shirt and he said no problem and we left the Bar!

This was back in 1988.

That's quite a story deltaboy, I'm glad I don't have one like that.

The smartest thing I've done with a knife is to use it as a teaching tool for my daughter. She's still learning, but I'm teaching her knife safety and how to use dangerous tools safely.

Back