What is the very best folding knife for the least amount of money?

King of the Cheese

Stillborn!
For this thread, I’d like to identify the very BEST folding knife for the LEAST amount of money, to see what offerings are out there that BladeForums participants have found. I know there are a few obvious choices that are heavily reviewed, like the Ontario RAT series… but I’m curious to know what you all have come across and personally used that may not have gone viral or trended in popularity. Feel free to leave the name of the knife and company that makes it in the comments, and a note about what makes it so special. Remember: Less $ is “more”. I’m really wanting to focus on that sub $50 range. The more money you save while still having a fantastic knife, the better.

From personal experience, I’ll offer up the Civivi Elementum in D2. I think that’s in the $42-$44 range. Maybe that’s a bit too mainstream, most people know the value in the elementum, but if you’re trying to get the best bang for your buck, and keep it sub $50, ball bearings, D2, and G10 with full steel liners isn’t too shabby.

I knew soon or a later you’ll bring Chinese knives to the table… 🤣

To me the only useful folder around $50 I can think about is the Taiwan made Rat1 in D2
but I’m not sure you can find one below $50 these days.
I’m talking about folder I can use for work, not object of conversation.

I knew soon or a later you’ll bring Chinese knives to the table… 🤣

To me the only useful folder around $50 I can think about is the Taiwan made Rat1 in D2
but I’m not sure you can find one below $50 these days.
I’m talking about folder I can use for work, not object of conversation.
Nothing wrong with country of origin. We are talking about pinching all the pennies we can here while still getting work done.

Bless the tiny hands that made this for $48. Civivi Little Fiend in d2

0t0YQx8.jpg

Ruike P801 for $30.

Victorinox Swiss Army. A lot of value depending on your tool selection.

Kabar Dozier with Aus 8 for $20 or D2 for $30. Several FRN colors available too.
Good point on the SAKs, forgot about them. That might be the best all-around value.. maybe not “knife” focused but prying, opening cans, and adjusting screws is highly valuable.

Kabar Dozier. Under $25 (about the cost, or less than, 2 M-tech, Tacforce, and the like), AUS-8 steel, rock-solid lock. People that buy the gas station/flea market junk seem to consider them disposables, but if they paid the $22 for a Dozier, they'd still be on their first instead of their 5th M-tech.

And it's made in Taiwan, not China, so it's got that going for it too.

What’s the cost of the basic one you’d recommend for this?

You could get a slim select for about 30 bucks. A lightweight (LT) for about 20 bucks. A standard 420HC and brass for about 50-60 bucks (most are under 50 if you go to Wally or find a decent sale).

I’d also add that I just saw a Buck 55 on the big river for 55 bucks. Slightly out of price range but a darn good knife in a smaller package.

Pick your poison ;):thumbsup:

Back