What is this guy using to cleanup the knife ...

I saw this knife polishing / sharpening video ....

And I’m wondering what is he using at 1:12 and 1:25 in the video?

It seems that he using these to polish up the sides of the blades, and then using traditional water stones later to sharpen the edge,

The trick is to find (ie create) a knife with just minimal surface rust. These sort of restoration videos have been popping up on my Youtube feed, probably because I watch a lot of sharpening videos. I suspect most were intentionally allowed to rust to just make the video. The rust is never very deep and there's no pitting. In other words, nothing like the rusty knives I've come across. :)

I also like the fact that the wood on the handle seems brand new. Bravo for staging a "restoration". I've got my pickup truck outside I need to "restore" by giving it a bath.

The trick is to find (ie create) a knife with just minimal surface rust. These sort of restoration videos have been popping up on my Youtube feed, probably because I watch a lot of sharpening videos. I suspect most were intentionally allowed to rust to just make the video. The rust is never very deep and there's no pitting. In other words, nothing like the rusty knives I've come across. :)
Nice analysis. I've seen rotors on a vehicles braking system rust overnight due to moisture. Hit the brakes a couple of times and it's gone.
Moral to the story? Don't believe everything you read and half of what you see. A lot is smoke and mirrors.
Can a magician really make a 727 disappear?
In the immortal words of Uncle Si....Nah.

He did say he bought it from someone and likely knew it was all surface stuff.

I'll give him this.
Got this Deba with some other blades. What you can't see is somebody beat on the spine deforming the Ura so it is beyond justifiable repair. May turn it into another knife someday as there is a lot of steel there.
20140619_223033_1.jpg

20140619_223928.jpg

Back