What is up with Photobucket?

mndart

OH! Dog walker
Gold Member
Hi y'all. Been away for a long time due to what was a new, extremely demanding job. Still on the job but I want to dedicate more time to the things I love doing, like knives!

Need some tips on imagery.

Can anyone shed light on using Photobucket? I really don't want to renew with them....
I am noticing a lot of the Photobucket pics are blurry with annoying Photobucket stamping....
I have Google Pics (Free and crap tons of GB storage)?
Is uploading pics the bast way to take care of needs?
Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance... Dan

Photobucket decided they weren't making enough money hosting pictures so they rolled this all out with no prior notice or discussion.

Most people just left; the kind of protection racket style that they chose to employ flat out turned people off of them.

It's clearly their business and they can do what they want; but at the same time it wasn't a good plan. They probably would have had less pushback if they just pulled the plug overnight.

Hi y'all. Been away for a long time due to what was a new, extremely demanding job. Still on the job but I want to dedicate more time to the things I love doing, like knives!

Need some tips on imagery.

Can anyone shed light on using Photobucket? I really don't want to renew with them....
I am noticing a lot of the Photobucket pics are blurry with annoying Photobucket stamping....
I have Google Pics (Free and crap tons of GB storage)?
Is uploading pics the bast way to take care of needs?
Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance... Dan
How can I post an image to the site? Simple: Go to http://www.imgur.com and upload your image. After uploading, select the BBCode option - it starts with [ IMG ] Copy. Paste. Enjoy.

I've given up on Photobucket. I had a paid account for several years. Then their rates shot up from $10 a year to $300 per year. So I abandoned the site. Now their rates are $10 a month, which is still more than I am happy with. So I use Imgur for most of my picture posting needs these days.

I've given up on Photobucket. I had a paid account for several years. Then their rates shot up from $10 a year to $300 per year. So I abandoned the site. Now their rates are $10 a month, which is still more than I am happy with. So I use Imgur for most of my picture posting needs these days.

Yeah. $300. I remember that one. I bitched at them as I had JUST renewed for 12 months and then a week later they hit me with that one.... laughable. They extended my low cost annual for a spell. I guess that may be coming to an end now.. Now, I think I have a $5.95 p/m offer, so about $72 p/y, still too much. Everyone and their brother wants your annual blood commitments to dip their beak into and I am closing in on retirement and a fixed income. Don't have dozens of $72 dollar tabs I can fund.

THANKS!!

As a gold member, just post them directly from your computer. It is very simple to do. You probably need to downsize your photos which I do. I never liked the idea that some of my higher quality images were posted here for the "taking'. Downsizing takes care of most of that.

I just use Imgur with a free account and organize my knife photos into hidden galleries (not shared with the wider site) by knife/theme/etc. Makes it a breeze to refer back to my old photos, dig up comparison shots, etc.

I’m also done with Photobucket, but I have a problem. Imgur requires that I give them a cell phone # for texting purposes as part of their sign-up routine. Adding texting onto my cell phone (yes, I’m one of those old school types who isn’t into paying $900 for a smartphone and $150/month to keep it running) will cost me $5/month, and I’m having trouble warming up to the idea of paying $60/year so I can post photos on the internet. Are there any other decent cost-free image hosting sites that work OK here at BF?

I’m also done with Photobucket, but I have a problem. Imgur requires that I give them a cell phone # for texting purposes as part of their sign-up routine. Adding texting onto my cell phone (yes, I’m one of those old school types who isn’t into paying $900 for a smartphone and $150/month to keep it running) will cost me $5/month, and I’m having trouble warming up to the idea of paying $60/year so I can post photos on the internet. Are there any other decent cost-free image hosting sites that work OK here at BF?

That must be new. I signed up in 2017 and needed to provide an email address, but not a phone number. I gave them my spam trap email, which likewise is not linked to my phone.

Stumpy72 said:
Imgur requires that I give them a cell phone # for texting purposes as part of their sign-up routine.
I'm guessing that's new, as I didn't have to provide a cell number (and likely wouldn't have). My disappointment with imgur is that their site is no longer mobile compatible. The app sucks - tried it twice, and uninstalled it both times - so posting images that way now requires extra steps, including being on my desktop... with the end result being that I do it less frequently.

It sounds like Imgur actually needs a cellphone # for texting purposes about as much as I need a Unicorn horn in the middle of my forehead. That tells me that Imgur’s only real need for my phone# is so they can sell it to people and businesses that I don’t want calling me. This increases my determination to avoid Imgur a thousand times over. I’ll either find a cost-free imaging hosting site or else I just won’t post any pictures. This forum and I will both survive whether I post pix or not so it’s no big thing, but I would like to be able to post pix without having to pay (with either personal information that opens doors for predators or $$) for the privilege. Since both Photobucket and Imgur are now out, my hunt is on.

Last edited:
Back