What is your collection worth?

:) Mine is invaluable and precious ...to ME !

That's all that matters . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The cash value is irrelevant , because I ain't selling and the wife will just dump them at the Goodwill after I'm gone . :(
I asked my wife to be burried with mines , no ones will have them ;)

Mine are all going to be divided between my 3 nephews.

Many of my knives are discontinued, but probably $5,000 with all the customization. My Becker BK-5 was sharpened by Jerry Fisk, can't really put a price on that.

I did a quick count and it’s less than I expected: I’m around $1,600 new/retail (which they clearly aren’t worth now). But at this point I only have one knife that isn’t used with important memories attached. If someone offered me $1,600 for the whole bit I wouldn’t do sell in anything short of a family emergency. My knives are among the few material possessions I genuinely care about.

IDK, but they are not worth a lot, because I use all my knives - no safe queens. I am more interested in getting back their value by using them. If I would have to pay someone to do all the cutting for me (a chef, a gardener, a butler, etc), it would cost me much more than what I paid for my knives. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what the collection is worth. Thousands. What is more important is that I gift knives and tools. I try to buy used and then restore. The kid across the street received a Leatherman and a Buck 110 when he made Eagle Scout. Two nieces received Cold Steel folders when they started college. I am going to visit three nieces next week. Each family receives a couple of folders and fixed blade. I think motorcycle driving husband needs a fixed blade, and family car needs a folder, don't you?

Mine are all going to be divided between my 3 nephews.

Many of my knives are discontinued, but probably $5,000 with all the customization. My Becker BK-5 was sharpened by Jerry Fisk, can't really put a price on that.

Yes quoting my own post.

This is a hard thing to put a price on, due to inflation. Are we talking based on what we paid originally, what they cost now, or those that are discontinued/sprint/Le their secondary market prices now?

I highly doubt I could get a Manix 2 CTS-XHP foliage green for $150 today.

Good god I just added it up.

$6,988 and most have been acquired this year as I took a break and recently got back into collecting.:eek:

The dollar value is high, many a used car is cheaper. I will tell you I'm 37 years old, weigh 185lbs and have over 20 lefty 21's in the CR box. I think it's not polite to put numbers on this topic though. Money is one of the least fair things society deals with regularly. Hard work does not guarantee money...:(
Some, like myself, are luckier than others.

What's even higher in value is my love of them. 95% of my collection is discontinued and are hard to impossible to replace even on secondary.
All the memories have only added to the worth of my collection. As a few said earlier... driving used cars, living in modest housing and having only one hobby helps in having the collection I do.

I collect rare,odd,1of1 and prototype Buck 112's..Some of my most prized 112's were less than $100.00 but some were a lot more. The real problem is not what you paid but what they will sell for to someone who dosen't value them like you do. I figure my 75 to 80 112's are 'worth' about six grand if dropped on Ebay on 5 day listings. I call it my 401-'Buck'...

:) Mine is invaluable and precious ...to ME !

That's all that matters . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The cash value is irrelevant , because I ain't selling and the wife will just dump them at the Goodwill after I'm gone . :(

You have a nice wife. Mine will dump me at Goodwill before I'm gone so I don't get in the way.

You have a nice wife. Mine will dump me at Goodwill before I'm gone so I don't get in the way.
;) I'm perfectly safe and secure (along with my knives and stuff ) ...so long as I can still accomplish her assigned "honey do " missions . :cool:

As far as collections/hobbies go knife collecting is a relatively tame endeavor in terms of $$ spent and $$ realized if that's the aim of the collection. Personally I've never sold a knife but have gifted many. I would think if the collection is quality and mainstream and the items are in good condition the loss if sold wouldn't be terribly heavy, in terms of hobbies it's nearly a wash.

Anyone built a car or ??. I have a few times. I can tell you a every $10k invested may realize you $1k +/- in return. I put nearly $70k into a sports car I ended up selling for less than $20k, of course I had my fun first which counts for something. I've got a rock crawler in the barn I've rebuilt a few time and can't even tell you how much is invested in it (well over $50k for sure), it might be worth $5k to the right buyer. Shooting sports? It's all consumables so there's a running tally for that. I rode dirt bikes for years, again mostly consumables, upgrading bikes, gear, road trips, etc. Not to mention the medical bills.

I know many here have spent far more than a few $K on knives, heck just my Olamic knives have cost me ~$6k and their not even a 10th of my collection.

I kind of agree with H Honed_Edge , I'm not sure what's to be learned from this thread. People spend $$ where discretion, priorities and the depth of ones interest allow, not really anyone's biz how, why or where.

I'm not giving you a number but if you want to play a game, go watch my videos and then tell me.

Last edited:
Back