What is your dream forging press?

adammichael said:
What didnt you guys tell me that lock idea was stupid!?:D

Here is the new and improved die holder/lock system. (thanks for setting me straight Fitso, is this what you meant?) The blue pins would store in the 2 outside keepers. There is 1 extra pin for the top and bottom.

Comments are welcome.

Nick Wheeler: I like your idea about scapping the slag off on the slag catcher. What if I hardened a piece of 1/4" O1 and bolted it to the inside of the slag catcher to scrape against? Would that make sense? I could put a really nice hammon on it.;)
I thought about that some time a go and thought someone would just say that was stupid or just a loose part to get lost or too easy? :D

Mike I like that idea. are you going to use it now :D
put a tether on them OK? ;)

Mike, that's essentially what I was describing, yes. Personally, I like the simplicity of this more than the toggle. Others mileage may vary. If they are hard to grab with a gloved hand, one can weld a little "handle" on them.

fitzo said:
Mike, that's essentially what I was describing, yes. Personally, I like the simplicity of this more than the toggle. Others mileage may vary. If they are hard to grab with a gloved hand, one can weld a little "handle" on them.
Real men dont wear gloves.;)

After 323 posts if you don't have the info you're after, maybe it's time to look somewhere else. This reminds me of the guy who calls himself a master mechanic because he sits in his garage every evening looking at his Porsche. Just go build the damn thing and start forging with it. You will learn more about what you overlooked when it breaks and you will then know what to fix. If money is the issue, look at how much time has been spent on solid modeling. I know what I get paid for my Solidworks consulting.
My ultimate forging press had the damasteel factory on the left side which feeds pre made mosic damscus in from the left where it is forged into blades, handles, bolsters, liners and backspacers. the parts are then fed into the forging press assembly section where my big breasted Sweedish bikini team member oversees the assembly. The assembled parts are then transfered to the forging press finishing section where 5 Dutch supermodels assemble my knives. I of course am sitting on the right hand side of my ultimate forging press where I pull each worker off one at a time for QC inspection. Get my drift? It is not a forging press unless you forge on it!

Sanchez, you might be platinum, but after five whole posts, to mouth off like that seems outta line to me. This has certainly been one of the longer threads I've watched or participated in, but it's obvious Mike's been building the press as he goes. I think it's been a learning experience for many.

Perhaps you ought to bite your tongue. Platinum members can be banned too.

Okay, so Dirty got a little snappy.... but I understand where he's coming from.

I don't think he's hammering on Michael, as much as the notion of some of the "help" he's gotten on this thread.

There's definitely been a lot of fluff in this thread that (to me) came from some people's percieved notions on a press... rather than real life experience.

I went to college... theory was pounded into my brain. I think theoretical knowledge is great and important... but it's just a loss if it doesn't get applied.

Dirty (Sanchez) is a hell of a knifemaker, and has the applied knowledge to back up his advice. He's kind of a $hit-head like me... but he knows what he's talking about.

Okay, back to the regular programming ;)
-Nick-

Perhaps I was a bit snappy as I've been working all day in near 100 degree heat painting my new KMG. Sounds like fun, but it's real work and lots of sweat.

If I was out of line, please accept my apologies.

Sanchez said:
After 323 posts if you don't have the info you're after, maybe it's time to look somewhere else. This reminds me of the guy who calls himself a master mechanic because he sits in his garage every evening looking at his Porsche. Just go build the damn thing and start forging with it. You will learn more about what you overlooked when it breaks and you will then know what to fix. If money is the issue, look at how much time has been spent on solid modeling. I know what I get paid for my Solidworks consulting.
My ultimate forging press had the damasteel factory on the left side which feeds pre made mosic damscus in from the left where it is forged into blades, handles, bolsters, liners and backspacers. the parts are then fed into the forging press assembly section where my big breasted Sweedish bikini team member oversees the assembly. The assembled parts are then transfered to the forging press finishing section where 5 Dutch supermodels assemble my knives. I of course am sitting on the right hand side of my ultimate forging press where I pull each worker off one at a time for QC inspection. Get my drift? It is not a forging press unless you forge on it!
Whats the problem? Did I say something that pissed you off?. If you were reading this thread you would see that the press is almost done. Were you refering to me not building the press and just talking about it or were you talking about something else? I guess im not sure where you are going with the Porche analogy.

I am spending my free time drawing up my press and, if you use Solidworks, you know the value of solid modeling before starting a major fabrication project. Are you saying I should just start welding it together with out any plan whatsoever?
There is almost 5000 people reading this thread for the last last few weeks so I hope someone is getting something out of this.

For the record,

The frame is done.
The ram is done except for the final welding (all the parts are lasered, I am waiting for the 2" round bars to be turned so i can keep the .015" tol. between the collars and the guide bars)
The tank is done
The die holder is done
The die plates are done.

Nick is right, your a hell of a knife maker but i sure would like to know the real reason your so pissed off about this thread.

This was edited because after rereading your post about 10 times, I guess I dont "get your drift"

This thread, from my angle, is providing a bunch more than it is asking. I have never seen someone be so free and sharing with his knowledge and processes. I, for one, am learning alot and enjoying the thread.

John Frankl

John Frankl said:
This thread, from my angle, is providing a bunch more than it is asking. I have never seen someone be so free and sharing with his knowledge and processes. I, for one, am learning alot and enjoying the thread.

John Frankl
Thanks, thats good to hear.
I thought I would share the experience of building my press. I am not looking for information so i can build it. I was asking for comments on how Im going to build it.
I'm starting to wonder if it was a good idea to even start this thread. Its starting to be more trouble than its worth. I do appreciate all the comment and positive feedback im getting from all of you, thou. Thanks everyone.

NickWheeler said:
There's definitely been a lot of fluff in this thread that (to me) came from some people's percieved notions on a press... rather than real life experience.

-Nick-
This was edited because I dont know what Matt is saying. Maybe he could clarify his points. :confused:

Ron Claiborne said:
I must not be a real man :D
if your not going to wear Gloves at least get you some steel toed boots :D
Bowie
Boots? Barefoot Ron, What are you? A Chick?:D

I have enjoyed this thread myself .
Read it every day from the start, it is long it takes a few side trips but all in all think its
interesting well at least to me .

Im not sure that one has to have worked with a forging press to understand its main function .
I have found people that have welded steel for some time to understand better of what it can do .
Control is the most important and having the ability to produce a larger billet is I have found the reason most want a press ,labor saving device , ( I have been doing Good with my hammer and anvil but it takes me so long and I want to make larger billets in a shorter time period ) very understandable ,that’s the reason I wanted one .these people have a interest in this thread .
Then there the guys that want to build there own Damascus but never have they have a interest in this thread ,
The guys that want to build a forging press they have interest here also .
The guy that not sure if its what he needs will get some insight in a thread like this .
Brainstorming is a good I think .it brings out the why as well as the why-nots .

In a thread like this will come out that gets all interested to thinking (is this needed for me in my shop or the way I do things ).

I have resisted to comment in a lot of this thread in fear of sounding self-serving but as others read it every day it has helped me understand more of what is wanted . and its helping
Thanks Mike
Now let get back to the press
Bowie

Michael, I commend you completely on your effort that you've shown here on the forums. It is important to encourage everyone interested in smithing to build as much of their own equiptment as possible so they know not only how to make it better, but how to fix it when things go t/u. I apologize for the mechanic crack, I was unaware of how far along you are with this, and it was out of line. I'm not pissed at all, I was actually trying to help, trying to give you the advice that I wish I had been given when I was building my first press. I truely believe that you will know alot more about what you want in a forging press after using it for a year. You may find that with all of this prior preperation that you end up with an excellent forging machine, exactly what you expected. In my experience most have needed some degree of reinforcement after it was all put together. The press is very good at letting you know where its weakest link lies. I feel there are a few issues that arise with spending so much time on the engineering side of a project like this. The first is there is not much technical info that applies to what our bladesmithing presses do. Most of the info on forging presses for the steel industry apply to huge dies. We work with relatively small dies versus the tonnage. A similar machine in industry would be 2 or 3 times the size.
The second is just as much opinion as anything so I'll probably catch some heat for it, but this is a good place to discuss this. Over engineering is completely different than overbuilding something. To over build something is to make it much stronger than you would ever expect it to be. To over engineer something is to remove all the variables, see what you are left with and then make it as strong as you can. Let's say you are able to achieve the same result using two differnet processes, yet one of the processes requires half the amount of work because there is not the same concern for variables. Sometimes you get farther and quicker in the end if you say screw all the limitations that have been pounded into my head. This concept did not come quickly or easily for me. I was taught as an engineer to cover your ass as best you can even before you get wet. A few years back I was making some mokume and I was going through my normal routine to remove all the oxides from the metals -sanding, etching and neutralizing each layer before I stacked it up. I decided to try a billet without all the effort. I gave each piece a quick scotch bright and stacked it up. It turns out just as good as all my previous efforts with a tenth of the work. I am not saying this works in all cases but sometimes it pays to keep things as simple as possible and then take care of the variables as they arise. That's my 2 pesos. Matt

I'm going to post what I have to say in another thread
for those that are interested in what I have to say please read it there..
for those that don't , don't.. :)

Ron Claiborne said:
Boy that was weird Why do you say that Dan, Im not playing with you guys im taking my toys home . :rolleyes: :D

Ron read it again please, if you read it before I edited.

I'm loosen my mind I think..
I e-mailed Mike on the 12th with no reply from him. seems his wife had something to do with it
,,wives :rolleyes: we need 3 or 4 of them right :footinmou :D

he got back to me late yesterday and I didn't know it..
well, I'm getting foot in mouth again, not knowing why the no reply..
well , my time would be better spent in my knives I'm sure.. :)

I like your toys Ron,,,stay and play longer :)

Dan Gray said:
I'm going to post what I have to say in another thread
for those that are interested in what I have to say please read it there..
for those that don't , don't.. :)
What thread can i read it in?

never mind, found it

What the hell is going on around here? A guy I've never meet or never heard of tells me im spending to much of my free time modeling my press and someone else is so upset about me not responding that he posts in this thread to say hes not going to post in this thread.

Sanchez:

Why do you care if i spend my time doing my press? almost 400 posts were made before you chimed in with your opinion and it turns out you didnt really read this thread or you would have known that the press was almost done.

Dan:
Im sorry I missed your email, Its not my wifes fault, i usually check my email a couple times a day but lately ive been spending so much time building my press and then posting about it that I forgot to check.

I thought the point of bladeforums is to exchange ideas not complain like a bunch of old women about things that dont matter. ( no offense to old women)

Anyone want to see a picture of the tank I made after I spent way to much of my free time modeling it? Its Red. I hope no one has a problem with the color.:rolleyes: :D

Back