What is your dream forging press?

I have a question for all you forging press users. If I have a part of the dies sticking out of the front of the press 3", will it get in the way when you are working the billet?

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 44
  • q2.jpg
    q2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 40
Its about 1/2" but i can raise the dies if I have to. That would also add more mass too them. I assume that would be a good thing.

yes both well help you will be close ater mashing to the bolt if it were me i would get atleast ! 1/2 " between the two. and im steil not crazy about offcenter dies they are going to put the press tuisting to one side snd devert all the pressur to one point and to me it looks as though it will be to the rodsand with that much pressur it will pull loss the bolts from the frame

If the offset dies dont work i will make ones that are in the center only. Do you think the 3" hanging out the front will be in the way?

Hey Ron, I have another hairbrain idea I would like to run past you and anyone one else who has an opinion about drawing dies. If I made an insert that drops into the bottom drawing die that could be heated in the forge, would that help in the drawing process? It would sit in a keeper built into the bottom die. You could heat it up, drop it in and close the dies for a few minuts before the drawing process starts. I would guess the dies would keep the billet hot and the hot billet would help keep the dies hot for a longer period of time. I dont think you would heat the insert more than once at the beginning of the process.

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 30
  • dd2.jpg
    dd2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 22
Ron Claiborne said:
...and im steil not crazy about offcenter dies...

same for me...I appreciate multi-tasking tools, and not having to change dies. But you'll have to wait for the steel to heat up anyway...plenty of time to change a die, imho.

I like that the die is now "longer" too....but it might be tempting to try and bite down on too much at once....:eek:....and still have the off center problem, but to-and-fro instead of side-to-side, like Ron mentioned.

Keep it coming. I really enjoy reading about the progress. Would be nice, when all this is finished, to just make one thread (or webpage) showing all the progress pics and none of the "chatter"....:rolleyes:

Daniel Koster said:
same for me...I appreciate multi-tasking tools, and not having to change dies. But you'll have to wait for the steel to heat up anyway...plenty of time to change a die, imho.

I guess we will never know unless someone tries it. I'll try it and let everyone know the results, how ever it turns out.:D Like i said, if it doesnt work, i just make dies with one on center.

adammichael said:
If the offset dies dont work i will make ones that are in the center only. Do you think the 3" hanging out the front will be in the way?

Michael
is it necessary to have the handles on the front of the dies in the first place?
I'm thinking they'll have to be handled with two hands anyway, so reaching in back to dislodge it and pulling forward I would think is all you'd need..
just my 2 cents.

Dan Gray said:
Michael
is it necessary to have the handles on the front of the dies in the first place?
I'm thinking they'll have to be handled with two hands anyway, so reaching in back to dislodge it and pulling forward I would think is all you'd need..
just my 2 cents.

One of the first suggestion that i got on this thread was a handle on the dies that stays cool so it would be easier to get the dies out. I dont know if its nessasary but it seemed like a good idea so i tried to incorpoate it. I think you will be able to pull the pin, grab the handle with one hand and pull it out. As far as putting the die on the shelf with one hand by swinging the bottom onto the shelf and sliding it in would depend on how heavy the die is.

I dont know Dan, Im just trying to see what will and wont work. It seems to be the opinion of alot of people here that the guide bars wont be strong enough to support the dies when working off center. I guess we will find out. Maybe we can all learn from my success or failure.

BTW- No need to make fun of my welding... I know it SUCKS! But my friend Bill (plain-ol-Bill) says that after burning through a semi-load of stick you have just about got warmed up. Since I'm only on my fourth or fifth roll of wire, I need about ten years. Then I'll just suck, rather than royally suck! ;)

-Nick-

adammichael said:
One of the first suggestion that i got on this thread was a handle on the dies that stays cool so it would be easier to get the dies out. I dont know if its nessasary but it seemed like a good idea so i tried to incorpoate it. I think you will be able to pull the pin, grab the handle with one hand and pull it out. As far as putting the die on the shelf with one hand by swinging the bottom onto the shelf and sliding it in would depend on how heavy the die is.

It's just a reverse suggestion if they get in the way..the time it takes or saves wouldn't be a lot of trade off..IMO
though it is a good Idea to have them

adammichael said:
I dont know Dan, Im just trying to see what will and wont work. It seems to be the opinion of alot of people here that the guide bars wont be strong enough to support the dies when working off center.

if it doesn't then you can always turn that piston up side down as I mentioned before and let the leverage of the rod and cly do some of the stabilizing for you also.. by using the butt end of the cly without the joint ( at the pin) this will spread out the load to at least the width of the cly.5" or so ? with no pivot point to have to stabilize. I know you mentioned some lateral pressure on the rod bushing as a concern
previously but the leverage you have in an 18" to 20" cly casing would lessen that considerably.
you'd just have to worry more about side ways push and less about twisting or canting,, just food for thought if it does happen to be a problem some time..

NickWheeler said:
BTW- No need to make fun of my welding... I know it SUCKS! But my friend Bill (plain-ol-Bill) says that after burning through a semi-load of stick you have just about got warmed up. Since I'm only on my fourth or fifth roll of wire, I need about ten years. Then I'll just suck, rather than royally suck! ;)

-Nick-

Those welds look great. Now if you could figure out a way to get them to stick to BOTH pieces of metal you would be set. I think I saw the problem in one of the other pictures. Your left handed. Try welding with your right hand like normal people:D

Could you explain the purpose of the welded radius and flat dies? I want to make sure I understand what you are showing me. What do you think of the idea of having a heated insert for the drawing dies? Is there any reason for it?

Michael-

Almost all of my dies are combination.

The first set in those pics are for lateral drawing. Or, squishing stuff out to make it wider.

The other set is for drawing lengthwise, i.e. making it longer without making it wider (and doing it FAST).

The flat dies right next to the drawing dies... You use the drawing die to move the metal fast, then slide the billet over and make sure it's flat under the flat dies.

The handles are for hanging the dies, as well as having something to grab onto that's not super hot.

Hey, I have an idea. You come here and do my welding, and I'll show you what kind of dies to have and how to use them making damascus! :D

-Nick-

Ive seen what you make and you dont need my help with anything but I sure as hell could use your input on my stuff. Especially the damascus and forging. YOu might find me at your doorstep one day so be careful what you say.

I really like you die ideas. Would you mind if I incorporate them in the dies that i'm making?

Yes, I would be highly offended!

:p :D

No, of course not Michael. I'm looking forward to you taking the ideas and improving on them. Then I'll steal your ideas! :D

Here's the way they hang under the press Michael. Nice and tidy, easy to grab, and most importantly out of the way.

-Nick-

Attachments

• Press1.jpg
    Press1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 56
NickWheeler said:
Here's the way they hang under the press Michael. Nice and tidy, easy to grab, and most importantly out of the way.

-Nick-
I like the idea of hanging the dies. Very nice setup Nick

Nick those are good looking dies and im sure you are very familiar with your press and that you as other that us one for a while get in tune with there machine ,know what you can do and what you cant its part of the process of using a press .
The reason I don’t like combo die is not for the person that has learned his machine its for the guy that has never used one , Im sure we all have the control that we need to do what we want but for a person to start with combo dies can remember I said can cause some trouble not all ways for sure . The person that has experience with others presses or have had the good fortune to watch some one else use one will have a different understanding of the power of a press than some one that has never used one or is trying to learn on his own .
. Most ( Not All ) that start using a press for the first time tend to go to long before reheating and they have the idea that tonnage will keep mashing steel even after the dies stop – putting the press in a undue strain , combo dies are great for people that have a understanding of their press and learn to reheat keep it hot when off center that needs said .
I use combo dies myself I tend not to offer them to customers that have little or no exspearance using a press that’s the reason I mention it to Mike he has never used a press and hes going to a lot of trouble to get the press he wants . My only intent is to let him have some time learning the power before , then if he feels he needs a combo die he will as we all do build them as he goes
They are dies for forging all types of shapes on a press some have come up with some that I was blown away with and they work great but some of these dies are a one time press with very hot steel to keep from hurting the press or them self .
But as you said if you can think it up it most likely can be used but even you will have to admit its best to know your machine before trying them
Bowie

Back