What is your experience with Spyderco factory edges?

All my Spyderco knives are from Colorado (Paramilitary 2's, Para 3, Native 5). I have zero complaints about the factory edges. As far as I have been lead to believe, they're all robo-sharpened (correct me if I'm wrong).

In regards to Benchmade, I find the edges on the knives I have are more than acceptable considering they're all sharpened by hand. I've never had one with a burnt edge or a lopsided grind.

Zero complaints here as well. My pm 2 in s110v still has its very sharp factory edge.

I have never had a complaint

A few probably to deserve mention, both Slyz Bowie’s I have owned have been very very sharp, along with a Manix 2 Cruwear and the 52100 PM2

My spyderco knives have always come with good, sharp and consistent edges. I have purchased 6 spyderco folding knives and i have not had any issues with them. Factory edges aren't typically known for the best edges. When i get a new knife, more often than not, i refine the edge a bit. The 2 knives i did not refine were a spydero delica stainless handle version with hollow grind, and a benchmade valet in m390. But all of my knives have come sharp enough to shave hair and slice paper.

Limited experience -- I have only the CPM 20CV Mule-- but it has the sharpest out-of-the-bx edge I have yet experienced, hair-topping sharp.

they have gotten much better then in past!i think because of robots(i think):thumbsup:

My KW 204P Military came with one of the very best edges I've ever had out of the box, dead symmetrical and very sharp.

That's an observation I can totally agree with>> because years ago there were some of my NIB factory Spyders that came with a not so sharp edge. However in the past 8 years or so I've never gotten a new Spyder that was anything less than "straight razor' sharp.
I think they've definitely improved over the years when it comes to a finished product. And when you consider the wide selection of blade steels and different types of knives that Spyderco sells that's actually quite remarkable that their finished product is that good most of the time.

For those of you who claim you've got a unit that was less than sharp>> all I can say is that if you return it to Spyderco they will without a doubt make it right for you. I look for them to improve as time goes on>> it's as though they are striving to be the "standard of the industry".

Many years ago Mike Vellekamp used to sharpen the knives at spyderco. Now Sal says it's a trade secret of how they are sharpened.

My Vallotton Subhilt dual fire came with a partial rolled edge from PVK Vegas. Not sure if that's a Spyderco or a Butch V issue but pissed me off nonetheless.

I think it's overemphasized. Ya can't make an edge that will make everyone happy period.
Some need a toothy edge for more bite and endurance.
Some want a polished edge. Less bite and endurance but cleaner cut.
Some want thinner edges.better cutting performance, less durability
Some NEED thicker edges. Reduce cutting performance for durability.
All these examples are sharp but are different.
No one size fits all.
Also the asymmetrical bevels doesn't effect the cutting performance.
If you grind one bevel. The opposite bevel burrs faster. If the Apex is crisp with no burr it's solid.

It's super important to be able to sharpen your own knives so you can get exactly what you want for the right knife, task and preferences.

Back