1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What is your experience with Spyderco factory edges?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by retzius, Oct 18, 2017.

1. seabil

seabil

Apr 8, 2015

Zero complaints here as well. My pm 2 in s110v still has its very sharp factory edge.

2. Freedom Pullo

Freedom Pullo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I have never had a complaint

A few probably to deserve mention, both Slyz Bowie’s I have owned have been very very sharp, along with a Manix 2 Cruwear and the 52100 PM2

3. microtech85

microtech85

Dec 1, 2015
    My spyderco knives have always come with good, sharp and consistent edges. I have purchased 6 spyderco folding knives and i have not had any issues with them. Factory edges aren't typically known for the best edges. When i get a new knife, more often than not, i refine the edge a bit. The 2 knives i did not refine were a spydero delica stainless handle version with hollow grind, and a benchmade valet in m390. But all of my knives have come sharp enough to shave hair and slice paper.

4. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Limited experience -- I have only the CPM 20CV Mule-- but it has the sharpest out-of-the-bx edge I have yet experienced, hair-topping sharp.

5. blanex1

blanex1

Feb 11, 2015
    they have gotten much better then in past!i think because of robots(i think):thumbsup:

6. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    That's an observation I can totally agree with>> because years ago there were some of my NIB factory Spyders that came with a not so sharp edge. However in the past 8 years or so I've never gotten a new Spyder that was anything less than "straight razor' sharp.
    I think they've definitely improved over the years when it comes to a finished product. And when you consider the wide selection of blade steels and different types of knives that Spyderco sells that's actually quite remarkable that their finished product is that good most of the time.

For those of you who claim you've got a unit that was less than sharp>> all I can say is that if you return it to Spyderco they will without a doubt make it right for you. I look for them to improve as time goes on>> it's as though they are striving to be the "standard of the industry".

7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Many years ago Mike Vellekamp used to sharpen the knives at spyderco. Now Sal says it's a trade secret of how they are sharpened.

8. Red House

Red House

May 1, 2016
    My Vallotton Subhilt dual fire came with a partial rolled edge from PVK Vegas. Not sure if that's a Spyderco or a Butch V issue but pissed me off nonetheless.

9. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    I think it's overemphasized. Ya can't make an edge that will make everyone happy period.
    Some need a toothy edge for more bite and endurance.
    Some want a polished edge. Less bite and endurance but cleaner cut.
    Some want thinner edges.better cutting performance, less durability
    Some NEED thicker edges. Reduce cutting performance for durability.
    All these examples are sharp but are different.
    No one size fits all.
    Also the asymmetrical bevels doesn't effect the cutting performance.
    If you grind one bevel. The opposite bevel burrs faster. If the Apex is crisp with no burr it's solid.

It's super important to be able to sharpen your own knives so you can get exactly what you want for the right knife, task and preferences.