What is your favorite Case handle material

What aesthetically is your favorite Case handle material.

Thanks,

Geoff

Jigged bone. I love chestnut and old red bone, but only have amber at the moment, and I love it:
4vVtZJ7.jpg

What aesthetically is your favorite Case handle material.

Thanks,

Geoff
With me you often get more than you asked for.
(all these case knives I am talking about are pretty much ALL Case Large Trappers)
I will start out saying I prefer the genuine horn handles just because they are fatter. In the Case of the Genuine Stag scales they are A LOT fatter and that is a good thing while using the knife. I go back and forth with the Stag looks wise. One minute it creeps me out and another minute I love what Case does with it to produce so many colors and textures on one knife handle.
Here's the Stag with a few other slip joints
IMG_4911.JPG
The Black Water buffalo is pretty great to.

In the past and again just lately I am sort of embarrassed to say I have a real fascination with the White Sparxx. It is just plain old white imitation (molded) jigging texture. They are pretty thin scales (not fat). But I don't know, what can I say, there it is . . . I love the look of them.
IMG_5703.JPG

The Antiqued Peachseed Jigged Bone scales are very classic and have a bunch of texture to them that I crave in a knife handle so recently I have been enjoying that handle quite a lot.

The Dark Navy Blue Bone Roger's Jigged scales shown above are right up there for me. I don't think "Dark" is part of the actual color description but the scales only do it for me if they are almost black with a little blue around the edges. There for a while Case was leaving the blue scales with some sky blue and even white with the dark blue and black and for me it was . . . nah dude, nah. The last example I bought a month or so ago (not shown) was very pleasing. I am totally happy with it.

The Tony Bose / Case knives with Gabon Ebony are just so great looking ! ! !
I don't have one but I sure like to look at them.

Around Christmas I like to busssout my Dark Red Jigged Bone Trapper (shown above). All that red is a bit much the rest of the year but at Christmas I give myself permission to enjoy carrying that one. It is really beautiful. CV patinad blade natch' ;).

Finally I have to say I had quite a love affair with Chestnut but I swear the handle seemed to really fade and even show some white bone here and there that I swear was not there when I bought the knife. It has not seen any significant sun at all. I work indoors and carry the knife in a pouch always (not loose in a car or some such). Now I am just meh about the Chestnut because the dye seems to be too fugitive.

Scales when new :
IMG_4300.jpg

Scales not even a year later.
These photos don't do it justice . . . how pretty it was in the past and how faded it is now.
IMG_5385.jpg

Last edited:
Another vote for Bonestag.
Jigged Amber Bone is right up there, too.
Sycamore is something I would like to acquire someday as well :thumbsup:

Antique jigged bone is my favorite but I like a lot of them. Chestnut, Brown bone, the Molasses bone that’s only on the Damascus Bose knives is one id really like to have, and their midnight stag is really nice looking.

When Case gets its Bone Stag right, it's gorgeous. but I am very choosy when buying it.

CypxquEh.jpg

BKNYDcnh.jpg

FAEyvhah.jpg

k6AxlfCh.jpg

I'm also quite enamored with Case's yellow Delrin.

yGpeeH2h.jpg

56NBCQIh.jpg
You just said everything I was going to.
Bonestag can be quite a striking handle material, or it can look like a shoddy, color pencil sketch of stag. I think it looks best when it's deeply grooved and toasty, like the examples you posted.

I like some of Cases various blue jigged bone, which can look fantastic against highly polished tru sharp. Of course yellow delrin is always a classic.

Bone, preferably of the colorful dyed variety, jigged or smooth. I also like the swirly Corelon acrylics, but won't pay full retail for them ... so many hunt those, very difficult to get one much below retail ... only have a few I've gotten deals on. Funny, I just find the traditional redbone, greenbone and amber bland (I know, I know blasphemy to the vintage collectors). I do not care for plain dark red delrin plastic either - avoid those. I must be part magpie - like shiny and colorful ... here's a few 32''s and Ratcliffe Muskrats ---->

cgxP0ss.jpg

ORo3Ydb.jpg

Last edited:
I certainly have more chestnut jigged bone examples (all in CV) than any other Case handle material. Here's a group shot of what I have, except for a teardrop jack that I bought more recently. Note that there's quite a bit of variation in the color of the chestnut jigged bone. (I wish they offered a canoe in this series!)
chestnut.fam.open.shady.jpg

But I also find this stainless mini copperhead in navy blue jigged bone with red shield incredibly attractive, and could see myself eventually getting other patterns (canoe, tribal lock) with the same covers.
minicop.mark.closed.jpg

Another cover material I thought was real attractive, although I don't have an example of the original series, was the walnut Rogers jigged bone with quad-threaded bolsters that was available a few years ago. This mini copperlock has the same covers, but came out later, I think:
mark.closed.woods.jpg

- GT

Back