FNlqyx8.jpg

Loves:
  • Blade:Handle ratio
  • CPM-M4 edge durability/retention with a thin hollow grind
  • Closed width, relative to normal Spydercos of this size
  • Cost:Quality - PM2 level value; Taichung F/F;
  • Grip agnostic handle

Gripes:
  • Bigger than I'd normally want to carry, but I still do it anyway because of the above

What is the closed length? I usually stop at 4", prefer slightly smaller ie 3 1/2 - 3 13/4

I don't own many but for a long time it was the pm2 but it has been surpassed by the gb1. I'd gladly pay double what I paid for it and every day when I put a knife in my pocket the gb1 is the first one I want to grab. I feel bad for neglecting all the others.

What is the closed length? I usually stop at 4", prefer slightly smaller ie 3 1/2 - 3 13/4
Spyderco lists the GB2 closed length at 4.82" (122 mm).

It is pretty long. The dimensions are very similar to the PM2, save for closed width and blade:handle ratio (more similar to the Large Sebenza per specs). If it came in at 2.75-3" blade, 3.75-4" closed, I would be using that instead.

That's a spot in my lineup that is currently unfilled (used to be the Positron).

Last edited:
I love my GB1, but I gotta give it to the Stretch. Absolutely fell in love with it the first time I held one, and I still feel the same. For me personally, it's size and shape are approaching perfection. Amazing slicers, super ergonomic, they come in different steels and handle materials, and they've got the mid lock which I'm a huge fan of. While in use, I find they almost seem to "hug" your hand, as opposed to some other knives that feel more..."slippery"? Also, they're comfy to use in just about any grip. Even the swoop in the spine seems to aid in gripping the knife better in certain situations. Overall, just a very well thought out design! Thanks Sal! :thumbup: Can't wait to try the new FRN Stretch 2!

For me, there isn't one favorite, there are five.

The Burgundy Micarta Jester. My idea of the perfect keyring knife. Classy looking, light, the Micarta still looks good after 13 years of banging around with my keys, and while AUS-6 may not be an exotic super steel, it's a breeze to sharpen and takes a great edge.

The original C75 Kiwi. Spyderco's answer to functional jewelry for someone like me who doesn't wear a watch. Between the five production versions, the numerous Santa Fe Stoneworks and Yellowhorse customs and "one offs" by talented individuals I have over 70 different versions to choose from.

The CF Chaparral. My idea of the best "City of Grreenville" legal primary folder. It's compact, has excellent ergos and a 2mm thin FFG blade that slices like a demon.

VG-10 versions of the Stretch. My idea of the best primary folder for everywhere that allows 3.5" blades. The most natural feeling knife I've ever picked up. Could not feel any better if Sal had designed it around my hand. FFG blade make in an excellent slicer.

K05 Small Utility. Most used knife in my kitchen.

For me, there isn't one favorite, there are five.

The original C75 Kiwi. Spyderco's answer to functional jewelry for someone like me who doesn't wear a watch. Between the five production versions, the numerous Santa Fe Stoneworks and Yellowhorse customs and "one offs" by talented individuals I have over 70 different versions to choose from.

I've got a Kiwi - cool knife.

All of my CF Millies, my 440V Starmate, and both of my 440V Li'l Temperance Leafs,

So....I guess that's 8.

It'll be 9 when I get a 52100 Millie :D

EDIT: Why? They were all a huge PITA to get

Top three right now would be Military (52100 CF sprint with the 204P blade), the Gayle Bradley 2 with custom scales, and the Southard with custom scale.

If I had to choose just one, it would be a tie between the Mil and the GB2 :)

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

23ee23f2b8420c58f6079324a82bab35.jpg

My only Spyderco also happens to be my favorite knife.
Why? It's so light I forget I have it on me and it cuts like a lightsaber. Also, green is my favorite color.

Thinking about getting either a Manix 2 lightweight or a Domino, suggestions?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thinking about getting either a Manix 2 lightweight or a Domino, suggestions?

Of the 4 Spydercos I had the pleasure of owning, Manix 2 LW was my least favorite. Great knife, nice blade, US made, awesome mechanism. But, with wet or moisturized hands, that thing is slippery as snot. Not so much to open and to use, but trying to close it one handed with wet hands, dropped it twice, once almost piecing my foot once. I use my knives in or near water often. Tried to give it some jimping and grip tape, but gave on that blade. Gave it away.

Not sure if this helps...

Of the 4 Spydercos I had the pleasure of owning, Manix 2 LW was my least favorite. Great knife, nice blade, US made, awesome mechanism. But, with wet or moisturized hands, that thing is slippery as snot. Not so much to open and to use, but trying to close it one handed with wet hands, dropped it twice, once almost piecing my foot once. I use my knives in or near water often. Tried to give it some jimping and grip tape, but gave on that blade. Gave it away.

Not sure if this helps...
Good to know. I live in the Midwest so I'm not around water too much but I wonder if the g10 would have better grip.

Delica and Dragonfly feel good in my hand but not quite as good as my Native. To be honest in the 15 years or so that I've owned a Native I have yet to handle anything that feels as good.

Delica. I have 4 iterations of it currently. It will be 5 when I track down a HAP40.

QWhZv3l.jpg

PM2 is a close 2nd.

That would be the Spyderco Military, lightweight, nice pointed blade with more than enough belly and the best liner lock in the business.

I've have/had many great Spydercos. But I'm a flipper guy at heart. The Mantra gives me all of the design elements I value. Delica-like size, blade shape and handle ergos. Stonewashed Ti framelock of open design that is not heavy or overbuilt. Deeper carry pocket clip. Satin finish M4 blade steel that can slice forever. All of this adds up for outstanding use-ability. It has earned and maintained a prominent spot on my core EDC rotation.

Last edited:
Back