What is your hobby?

Jarrett Fleming

I think this will be a pretty fun/interesting thread. Just out of curiosity what are your hobbies?

Mine are hunting, fishing, target shooting, and obviously my main hobby and by far the most time consuming is making knives.

Discuss! :D

Fishing is at the top of the list for me. Weight lifting is another but during our seasonal business (thaw to freeze) the weight lifting takes a second seat to work:mad:

And of course...KNIVES & GUNS:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for participating Paul! I haven't lifted weights in years (unless bars of steel from Aldo counts LOL) but as soon as my best friend is out of the marine core and back home I plan to start lifting with him. I'll have a lot of catching up to do because he is a pretty big dude.

Knife collecting, of course, along with...

Hiking, dog training (I used to do it as a professional sideline), off-roading in my UTV, and helping to run a New Orleans Saints forum (big one, about the size - give or take - as this one).

I also read a great deal but watch little non-football related TV. A little bit of whittling (not very good, but it is fun). Finally, I do some landscape photography.

Retired, but I keep busy. ;)

Alaying league of legends, weight lifting, cooking and knife making.

Also glad to see that you have your own forum now. :D

Knife collecting, of course, along with...

Hiking, dog training (I used to do it as a professional sideline), off-roading in my UTV, and helping to run a New Orleans Saints forum (big one, about the size - give or take - as this one).

I also read a great deal but watch little non-football related TV. A little bit of whittling (not very good, but it is fun). Finally, I do some landscape photography.

Retired, but I keep busy. ;)

Sounds like you stay busy! What type of dog training do you do?
I am also starting to read some. The last book I finished was Marine Sniper about Carlos Hathcock and I really enjoyed it.

Alaying league of legends, weight lifting, cooking and knife making.

Also glad to see that you have your own forum now. :D

Thanks man! I've never played league of legends, but I use to play WoW back in the day.

Sounds like you stay busy! What type of dog training do you do?...

Now I simply train my two personal dogs for service use. Fetching things by name (get pillow, take to mommy, etc.), picking things up off of the floor, opening doors, turning on/off lights, just typical assistance/obedience kinds of things. Also working with my Golden to train him to scent track which is going pretty well. And I help folks who have some issues with their pets - and that is hard work. Much easier to train the dog than the owner. ;)

But when I was doing it for money, I trained dogs for everything from service to K9 to cadaver to narcotics and everything else in between. Whatever someone would contract for. Love working with dogs. Started when I was 14 so many, many years of experience. :)

Jarrett,

To be quite honest, I am either fishing, hunting, target shooting, handloading, hiking, collecting knives......much like yourself! Makes perfect sense that we're often 'on the same page'............:).

I also makes several trips yearly to Montana, oftentimes with my daughter and/or friends, and spend 4-5 days making 'red mist' out of prairie dogs. I have 3 target, bull barreled Bushmaster AR's........pure varmint medicine. 50gr. V-Max's leave little evidence of the devastation we leave behind. On average..........1,300 .223 rounds in 3 full days........what a hoot!

Good thread subject Jarrett!

I am a hard core whitetail deer hunter. It's an obsession really. Besides the hours upon hours I spend chasing them in the fall, I also scout year around and spend a ton of time planning and preparing.

In May I get the same way for turkey, but it only last for the month.

Other than that, I like to trout fish for stream trout and hike.

Hunting and shooting. Anything active outdoors really. Also physical work at the ranch. This is about the only way I can de-stress from work.

I enjoy shooting in National and regional competition with Civil War firearms. I've put together some interesting guns over the years using original and reproduction parts, a Confederate Fayetteville Rifle, a US M1855 rifle musket and an 1862 dated Richmond rifle musket. I currently shoot an original m1854 Austrian Lorenz rifle, the aforementioned Richmond and an M1841 Mississippi rifle.

Now I simply train my two personal dogs for service use. Fetching things by name (get pillow, take to mommy, etc.), picking things up off of the floor, opening doors, turning on/off lights, just typical assistance/obedience kinds of things. Also working with my Golden to train him to scent track which is going pretty well. And I help folks who have some issues with their pets - and that is hard work. Much easier to train the dog than the owner. ;)

But when I was doing it for money, I trained dogs for everything from service to K9 to cadaver to narcotics and everything else in between. Whatever someone would contract for. Love working with dogs. Started when I was 14 so many, many years of experience. :)

Man that is awesome! I wish I knew how to train a dog. We have a blue heeler named Doc. He's still a pup less than a year old, but man does he have a bad attitude! He is extremely protective of my family. He barks and growls at anyone who pulls up in the yard, and is very aggressive towards other dogs that he has never met.
He's probably only 30lbs or so but he thinks he is a bull mastiff or something. Absolutely fearless. We've been trying to teach him to herd the cows, and he does ok. The problem is getting him off of them. Here he is

Any interest in trading some dog training for a knife :D

Jarrett,

To be quite honest, I am either fishing, hunting, target shooting, handloading, hiking, collecting knives......much like yourself! Makes perfect sense that we're often 'on the same page'............:).

I also makes several trips yearly to Montana, oftentimes with my daughter and/or friends, and spend 4-5 days making 'red mist' out of prairie dogs. I have 3 target, bull barreled Bushmaster AR's........pure varmint medicine. 50gr. V-Max's leave little evidence of the devastation we leave behind. On average..........1,300 .223 rounds in 3 full days........what a hoot!

Good thread subject Jarrett!

Yes we share a lot of the same interest Ken! I also hand load for my rifles and handguns. Going out west to do some prarie dog hunting is something that I have been wanting to do for years. Sounds like a lot of fun!

I am a hard core whitetail deer hunter. It's an obsession really. Besides the hours upon hours I spend chasing them in the fall, I also scout year around and spend a ton of time planning and preparing.

In May I get the same way for turkey, but it only last for the month.

Other than that, I like to trout fish for stream trout and hike.

I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore whitetail hunter because I don't go near as often as I would like, but I definitely enjoy being in the woods. I also love to hunt doves and squirrels.

Hunting and shooting. Anything active outdoors really. Also physical work at the ranch. This is about the only way I can de-stress from work.

Sounds like me including the work at the ranch. We have a pretty large poultry farm, and a bunch of cows. I stay pretty busy on the farm, but I de-stress in the knife shop!

I enjoy shooting in National and regional competition with Civil War firearms. I've put together some interesting guns over the years using original and reproduction parts, a Confederate Fayetteville Rifle, a US M1855 rifle musket and an 1862 dated Richmond rifle musket. I currently shoot an original m1854 Austrian Lorenz rifle, the aforementioned Richmond and an M1841 Mississippi rifle.

That's awesome! I've never shot anything like that, but I'm sure it's a blast!

Knife collecting/Sheath making, Motos, and old Ford Mustangs .. I enjoy fishing but rarely have the time these days.

dragon2008_1.jpg

Man that is awesome! I wish I knew how to train a dog. We have a blue heeler named Doc. He's still a pup less than a year old, but man does he have a bad attitude! He is extremely protective of my family. He barks and growls at anyone who pulls up in the yard, and is very aggressive towards other dogs that he has never met.
He's probably only 30lbs or so but he thinks he is a bull mastiff or something. Absolutely fearless. We've been trying to teach him to herd the cows, and he does ok. The problem is getting him off of them. Here he is

[pic redacted for space]

Any interest in trading some dog training for a knife :D

Lots of Blue Heelers up here (I live near Chama, NM - ranching country) and I've worked with a few. Great dogs but like Doc (great looking guy, BTW) a bit headstrong sometimes. I had trained one of our Rotties to herd (he has passed now) and we would help local ranchers that we were friends with from time-to-time. One of the funniest things I ever saw was him deciding to herd a flock of about 50 wild turkeys. It was hilarious because they weren't really afraid of him and would just fly a few feet over him when he got near. The flock wound up more spread out rather than less and it frustrated him to no end.

Anyhow, if you have any training questions just PM or email me and I'd be glad to talk details rather than bore folks here. :)

Nice thread Mr. Jarrett!

Before my father & I opened our business, I used to have all sort's of hobbies and fun things to do. I've always been into shooting, whether it be turkey shoots, target, skeet, trap, sporting, just all kinds. I've played bass for many, MANY years as well. I've been all around different states, different bands playing. When growing up, I spent all my time in the woods. Either walking with a gun, peddling a bike, or full throttle on a a.t.v. or CR250. Automobiles! I used to be a Volkswagen man! That was until the day I went for a ride in a friends C5 corvette. I ended up test driving a 2003 Z06 last February, needless to say the car came home with me that night. If I am correct, the picture above is the dragon, near Fontana Dam. I've wanted to go there for years but with two back surgeries in the past four/five years, I've been unable to physically get in a vehicle and make the trip. The last surgery I had two years ago seemed to have got me back to as good as things can get (knock on wood). If I can manage to find the time to get away from work, I plan to venture down that way. Being in business for myself since 1998, a lot of those fun things went to the wayside. Recently I've been re-acquainted with knives and having never owned anything completely hand made, it's a pretty new experience. New & expensive, but none the less very fun and I get to associate with some superb forum members.

Awesome Bud!

I'm sorry to hear about your dog Saintlybrees. I'm sure seeing him "herd" the turkeys was a funny sight to see.

Thanks for sharing Kevin. I wish I had the talent to play ANY instrument lol. Tried to take up guitar one time and I wasn't any good at it. I hope your back recovers 100% and you are able to get out there and ride!
This forum is full of awesome members! Don't know what I would do without it.

kevroo .. that pic is indeed on the Dragon. I've been riding/driving it for 30 yrs. If you're an adrenaline junkie, it'll definitely pound your heart a couple beats. Make the trip - it's worth it.

Mr. Jarrett, I don't personally know too many folks that have ever picked up a instrument and made it talk. Three essentials I recommend to anyone starting; a teacher, a metronome, & patience. When a person starts out, the best thing they can have is a experienced teacher to walk you though things. Metronome! Timing, timing, & more timing! Timing-multiply by 452 and 1000, timing is key! And the most important thing is patience. Most every person I've played with has gotten frustrated at one point or another. If not with their ability or skills, something! My guitar wont stay in tune, my amp sounds crappy, your playing too fast, you can't do this or that. It's best sometimes to set whatever instrument your playing down and just walk away from it. Sometimes a couple hours is enough, sometimes it can be years. My back will never be one hundred percent again but thanks to the magical hands of my caring surgeon, I won't complain one bit! I've come miles from where I was, I'm more than satisfied with that.

Mr. Bud, I've been wanting to go down there for so long! The closest I came was when a group of R32 owners organized a big trip. Pop had shoulder surgery and the job required pretty much all my time. One day, I will make it one day! The Z06, the wife & myself will make a week long trip and maybe have to swing by Cummings Georgia at the tail end. :D

Hi guys,
I'll play... I collect S&W old revolvers, esp. pre war models, and custom knives, slipjoints and fixed. Most of my slips are by John Lloyd, love his different handle materials. Enjoy target shooting and at 44 still play semi-pro baseball. I'm a shell of what I was when I was younger but it's still fun to go out and play and be with the guys on my team. I worked for the Philadelphia Phillies for 17 years and coached high school baseball for 10. For work I'm a PE/Heath teacher at a private school for kids on the autistic spectrum. Happy to say I'm in your build book and looking forward to owning one of your knives made just for me!
Adam

Besides Collecting Knives, I enjoy Shooting of all kinds, fishing, hiking, Camping, Playing the drums, riding motorcycles
AF23C367-1225-4455-BFE6-3DEFA3133F71_zpsthtiwlvh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] and spending time with my four legged children.

Back