What is your most preferred size for an EDC folder?

I've designed a folding knife intended as a light/medium use every day carry. I focused a lot on the blade/handle ratio.

It's currently sitting at 3.6" blade length with an 8" overall length.

I aimed for 8" as it seems like 8" is the limit of what most people prefer as an EDC.

I can size it down to a 3.4" blade at 7.55" overall, but any smaller than that, it would be too slim for comfortable ergos so the width would need to be increased, which would alter the silhouette of knife that I want to maintain.

I'm mainly looking for answers on the overall length you prefer to carry, as the same size blades can have very different overall lengths.

I don't mind larger knives, but that's about the size I prefer for a folder. For me, a folder is just a back-up to the 4-1/2" fixed blade that sees the real use.

Small Sebenza size is perfect for me. 3" blade and a bit under 7" overall open. The Large Sebenza size is great too if you want more blade.

I aimed for 8" as it seems like 8" is the limit of what most people prefer as an EDC.

I dunno if it's just me, but I don't pay that much attention to the OAL (open) length of a potential EDC knife -- blade length matters much more to me. 3.5" is the legal limit here, so my favorite range is 3.25"-3.5".

In your bell curve, I’d probably be more of an outlier. I generally like 3.5” to 4” blades, so about 9” overall length when deployed.

My suggestion is to focus more on ergonomics and “carry-ability” over length per se. A 3.6” blade with an 8” overall length already sounds great to me. The tipping point for me then would be how well it fits my hand and how well it rides the pocket.

I have always loved the small knives and find that I use them more than anything else, but I did drastically shift gears and bought a big GEC 97 today! :)
The Pembertons are my long time favorite.
061113-BLUE-ANGEL.jpg

3.25” - 3.5” is my sweet spot for blade length in a folder. OAL is less important as long as it sits well in my pocket.

The largest folding knife I regularly EDC is a 5.25 inch closed two blade slipjoint folding hunter, with 4 inch blades. It is carried on my belt.
Next largest is a Buck 110, also on my belt.
Largest carried in my pocket is a 4.5 inch closed stockman. I don't recall the primary clip point blade's length.
Smallest I'll carry is a 6.125 inch closed Barlow pattern.

To me, the over-all length is irrelevant on a folding knife. The pattern and closed length is what matters, since that determines if I will carry and use it.
For example: I like a "large" stockman that is 3 7/8 inches or larger closed. I've tried the 3.5 inch closed (give or take) "medium" stockman, and I detest how they feel in my hand, and how ... "fragile" or "delicate" they look when I try to use them. I know they are not delicate or fragile, so you don't need to bust my sitter on that.
My smallest stockman at this time is a 3 3/4 inch closed sow belly. It feels OK in my hand when I'm using it, and doesn't look fragile or delicate.
The 3 1/4 inch Barlow also feels OK in my hand and looks robust when I'm using it.
I didn't care for a 3 or 1 1/8 inch closed Barlow.

Ideal EDC size for me is my Buck Vantage Pro: 7.5” overall with 3.25” blade. So just a tad smaller than what you’re planning.

3.3 to 4
Sorry I didn't realize you meant oal.
In that case 8 inches.

Last edited:
3.5" (since it's the legal limit in many places)
up to 4.5" handle, but a well designed 4" or 4.25" also works excellent for this blade size & tends to make it more watch pocket friendly

Between 3" - 4"
(Blade length)

Hands are approx. 4" wide.

Last edited:
Anywhere from 3 to 3.6 inches for me. That said, I am personally more concerned with handle thickness and weight than blade size or handle length. I'll carry either a Small or Large Sebenza depending on whether I am doing an indoor or outdoor activity. One of the things that attracts me to the knife is the relatively slim profile of the handle (specifically the all-ti and single CF slab models). If I can constantly feel the knife in my pocket pushing against my leg, my carry affair with it tends to be a short one.

Back